Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 31 2010
By: TaMpA_bLaCk Lombax Warrior 204 posts

American & UK PS3 owners stand up & fight this!!!

4 replies 11 views Edited Mar 31, 2010

This crap might ride in Japan but we live in America & UK. We enjoy freedom & laws that protect big business from making unprecedented moves like removing hardware after you pay $500-$600 for an item that promised this capability. Sony advertised this in the manual & even tried to say more a pc than a gaming system back then. I'm 30 years old & have daughter. I can't afford to run out & buy a pc. I use my linux ps3 for work & my daughter uses it for farmville & talk to friends & family, watch streamed sports on the tv through linux. I did nothing wrong. I went with the os that sony sponsored tech support for. Even slim owners should be floored by this move! This is insane! Imagine tomorrow everyone in the world that owned a sony pc woke up & was told, well you can play games but not online & you can't run any os, windows, linux nothing. Heads would roll!!!! They are turning our expensive $500-$600 machines into $299 slims overnight. Especially the phats that aren't bcps2 capable. Where is the compensation??? They say security risk?? Please the other os is seperate from the ps3. If they wanted to hack & make the ps3 play ps2, burnt games & dvds then they need to hack that on the ps3 side of the hdd not the other os. This is ridiculous & usually americans are the last people to get pushed around like this without a fight! DO NOT DOWNLOAD V 3.21! Wait & see what the other options that will come out are & the plus side of this is it will make your ps3 phat worth more in the long run to keep this feature. Especially if we find out soon we can still run both. FIGHT THIS! It's not about other os or updates anymore, it's about freedom as consumers & taking away hardware we paid for.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (11 Views)
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Re: American & UK PS3 owners stand up & fight this!!!

Mar 31, 2010

unfortunately it would be harder for me to get a hold of my local law makers than Sony, whom (prove me wrong!) are already blatantly ignoring us

Tired of $ony tromping on what you pay for?
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

" We have received your complaint.
Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide. "
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Mar 31, 2010

I stand with you.  As soon as the update goes live my campaign will begin.  I urge everyone to file formal complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau.  I urge everyone to contact every law firm in their area.  I urge everyone to write all their elected congressional leaders and urge a form investigation into ant-consumer practices by Sony.  I urge everyone to put a freeze on the purchase of all new PS3 games and blu-ray movies.  Finally it was suggested that you contact your state's attorney general.  This advice is for those living in the US.  In the UK and Europe I recommend you take similar steps using your equivalent bodies.

Another move for those in the EU would be to see if the PS3 when launched was classified as a PC and not a gaming console.  If this is the case a formal request of investigation should be filed because it was suggested in another posting that Sony attempted to get the PS2 classified as a PC to avoid import taxes and if this was also the case for the PS3 removing OS support eliminate the PS3 as a PC and as such should have to retroactively have to pay import taxes now on all these units.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Mar 31, 2010

For someone that says well the already took away bc2 emulation how is this different?!... Yes but they sold new systems with that not included. We new when buying it wasn't in the package but they didn't one day say well, we are releasing an update to take away the bc2 emulation from the customers that paid for it. Well that is exactly what they are doing now with this other os downdate. This is unprecedented & borderline criminal. I'm going to email my congressmen & senators to look into this matter & break down examples of like the one above with the sony pc one day saying well no more windows or any os or online gaming but you can play games by yourself.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (11 Views)
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Mar 31, 2010

Google your county/city & senator or congressmen. It's easy to find out who, then link to them & their site will have a # & email.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (11 Views)
0 Likes