Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 11 2010
By: runingfree First Son 15 posts

Any tips for somone about to update from 3.15?

12 replies 9 views Edited Aug 11, 2010

Hello, thinking about to update from 3.15, any tips/hints how to minimize chance of losing the PS3?

Message 1 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4378 posts

Re: Any tips for somone about to update from 3.15?

Aug 11, 2010

Yeah.  Don't do it.

Be One With The Game.

Message 2 of 13 (9 Views)
Survivor
2723 posts

Aug 11, 2010

sure. remember that people come on these forums when they have an issue. you will not see the millions of people that have not had an issue come on a website designed to help people out when they have an issue, since they don't have an issue. don't believe all you read.

of course it was working before it failed, that happens!
Message 3 of 13 (9 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Aug 11, 2010

The-Sarge wrote:

Yeah.  Don't do it.

agreed I'm still on 3.15 and it's working fine. best of all I don't lose any features while I stay on that firmware...

Message 4 of 13 (9 Views)
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Aug 11, 2010

runingfree wrote:

Hello, thinking about to update from 3.15, any tips/hints how to minimize chance of losing the PS3?

first of all, don't listen to sarge or beta guy - they're blinded by nerd rage.

secondly, if you used other OS you know that it takes 10GB of HDD space.  if you want the space back, you are going to have to completely reformat the HDD.  you obviously would want to back up all of your data prior to wiping the HDD.  you will need to have the latest update already placed on a USB stick into a folder labeled UPDATE (all caps necessary) inside of another folder labeled PS3.

if you did not use other OS or simply don't care about the 10 of HDD space, simply download the update via internet from your PS3 or download the update from a computer, throw it onto a USB stick (as per the above file structure) and update via storage device.

p.s. do you have a fat or slim model?

Message 5 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3033 posts

Aug 12, 2010

All you should need.

Don't let the fear mongers scare you.

Fix your DS3/SixAxis-Boomer since 2,736

Message 6 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Aug 13, 2010

Thanks for the links and tips.

Ziggurcat, I have a fat 60gb model with 4 usb, card reader and partial backward compatibility.  should be 2nd gen.  Is there a higher failure rate of updating between slim & fat?

Message 7 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Aug 13, 2010

Rather download latest FW to USB stick and then to the PS3. A lot of people have problems if power goes down or download link failes while downloading directly with PS3. Play it safe. AND BACKUP BEFORE YOU INSTALL NEW FW!!!

Message 8 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Aug 13, 2010

Beta-guy wrote:

The-Sarge wrote:

Yeah.  Don't do it.

agreed I'm still on 3.15 and it's working fine. best of all I don't lose any features while I stay on that firmware...

you cant sign into PSN so your losing all the things in the PS Store and missing out on newer features since 3.15 but you nerds need an other OS so badly when you got a computer which you can go to

Message 9 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Aug 14, 2010

jma1024 wrote:

Beta-guy wrote:

The-Sarge wrote:

Yeah.  Don't do it.

you cant sign into PSN so your losing all the things in the PS Store and missing out on newer features since 3.15 but you nerds need an other OS so badly when you got a computer which you can go to

I can build a new computer if I wanted too, but you know something? I bought the PS3 in part due to OtherOS, and Sony removed it and gave me the consumer nothing back in return, that in my opinion is spitting in my face, and I in return bought a competing HD gaming console, and a non Sony Blu-ray player, and too bad if I can can't access the PSN store, I guess SONY doesn't make any more money from me.

I refuse, REFUSE to reward Sony for removing a feature I cared about, and I will stay on 3.15 until Sony returns the feature. If Sony doesn't return this feature, I won't be buying another Sony product, and I will cite Sony's removal of OtherOS as the reason I don't trust Sony or their products.

I the consumer shouldn't have to find a workaround to replace a feature I paid for. If the Solution is buy a new computer my question is when will Sony give me the money to buy a computer or give me a computer that has the same tech specs as the PS3? how many computers do you know run on a CELL processor? see now you see the problem it costs more money, and instead of complaining about this removal of the feature, you are asking me and everyone else upset with this feature being removed to spend more of our hard earned money, to replace a feature Sony removed. I won't do that, as I said above, I'd sooner spend that money to replace Sony products then fix their problem.

Message 10 of 13 (9 Views)