Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 07 2009
By: lastreptile Monster Hunter 21 posts

Could the Update have killed my PS3?

19 replies 13 views Edited Sep 7, 2009

I think ver. 3.0 killed my PS3.  I had never had a problem with it until tonight.   I understand that correlation does not mean causation, but in terms of electronics it is usually a good bet. 

While watching a BluRay movie the screen froze and the system stalled out.  I ejected the disc and carefully cleaned it.  When I put it back in all I got was the little disc loading icon in the corner.  I tired all my games (PS3 and PS2) at first none will get past the load screen.  Now they aren't recognized at all. The little icon just keeps spinning.

DVDs worked for another two hours...and now nothing.  The internet doesn't load all the time either. The HDD games I've downloaded (The Last Guy, FF7) work just fine.  The disc drive has been murdered, and the gun is in SCEA's hands. 

It seems to me that this remote killing of an older PS3 (mine is 1.5 years old) is timed very well with the release of the PS3 slim.

At best this is a terrible mistake, or a manufacturering/design fault - at worst it is out right theft and willful destruction of property.

SCEA will soon get a letter from my lawyer.  I smell class action suit. 

Message 1 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1555 posts

Re: Could the Update have killed my PS3?

Sep 7, 2009
My suggestion like a listed on a previous thread: Take LEGAL action. (Class Action Law Suit)
*Signature stolen by the Sushi_Pirate*
Message 2 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 7, 2009
Message 3 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 7, 2009
Your not the only one because I recently installed firmware 3.0 on to my System which originally came with an 80 gig drive. While playing Oblivion Shivering Isles my PS3 just turned off for no apparent reason. I then tried turning it back on and got the yelllow light of death along with the flashing red light. But Ive had the system for almost 2 yearswith no problems and why so suddenly after this firmware update it dies I don't understand. Now since it's out of warranty I have either two options contact Sony and shell out 150 bucks or the more expensive way to go and just buy the new PS3 slim. See I don't have a damn problem with both choices my issue is that us consumers shouldn't have to need to purchase another Gaming system or goods and services from a manufacturer when I completely feel that they themselves are at fault not the consumer and we're here literally paying for it either way you look at it. Believe me I've dome my research and tried all of the diagnostics that don't involve voiding my warranty such as replacing the hard drive holding the power button for a few seconds until you hear a couple of beeps to trying to access recovery mode all to no avail. Yet I'm still here with a defective product with the manufacturer completely at fault. One thing I seriously do hope this wasn't was marketing ploy by Sony for them increase sales for the PS3 slim by the end of the fiscal year. That would be a dirty way to do business.
Message Edited by DannySalerno on 09-07-2009 01:17 AM
Message 4 of 20 (13 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Sep 7, 2009

Hi everyone!

I just want to tell you that you are not the only ones who got the problem with 3.0 download version. I didn't play a lot during the last few weeks, I was on vacation. At the beginning of September, I downloaded the new update. Yesterday, September 6th 2009, while I was playing Call of Duty: World at War online, my screen froze and nothing moved. I ejected my game and turned the system off and now I can't turn it on. I won't work. I have a first generation 80G PS3 and I had the same thought about the fact that it was a "strange coincidence" with the release of the PS3 slim... I never had problem with my PS3 and I don't play games 24 hours a day. The customer service is going to receive a call from me today and I hope they will have good answers.

Message 5 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Sep 7, 2009

Hi! I just made a mistake in my post. It is a first generation 60G PS3 that I have and not a 80G.

Message 6 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

Sep 7, 2009
Hey My 60GB has bin acting up ever since the update i'm scared now to play it.:smileysad: I'm on my third Xbox 360 i hope i don't have to go on a second on my PS3. Sony if my PS3 brakes i will have 2 opintes....1 you fix it Free of charge or 2 I File a law suit on you. I hope i wont have too. I have bin with you guys since the PS1 i pray i dont have too........
Message Edited by RROD_Victim_360 on 09-07-2009 06:01 AM
PSP 2001 Star Wars Limited Edition
PSP 3001 Metal Gear Solid Big Boss Limited Edition
PSP 3001 Silver daxter bundle
PSPgo White
PS3 Phat 80GB upgraded to 500GB 7200rpm drive
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 7, 2009
Does anyone from SONY actually read this forum? I called the Sony customer support on Saturday for assistance..after I was forced to do the software upgrade. This time of year I only play NCAA College Football. As the update was completed...that was the END. I put in the disc...and...it would not recognize it. I tried others and nothing would read. I called after trying other things and checking online. They said they have not heard of this problem at all and no one has reported a problem like this. They said I can send it in and they can "look" at it for $149.00. My other option is to BUY the newly low priced system for $299.00. Is this a coincidence? I am thinking not! So...after looking around and doing simple searches...there are numerous people complaining of this problem. So...will they actually do something to correct this?
Message 8 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

Sep 7, 2009
They better fix this **bleep** fast. Can We here a MICROSOFT. KINDA SOUNDS LIKE SONY TOURND MICROSOFT.
PSP 2001 Star Wars Limited Edition
PSP 3001 Metal Gear Solid Big Boss Limited Edition
PSP 3001 Silver daxter bundle
PSPgo White
PS3 Phat 80GB upgraded to 500GB 7200rpm drive
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 7, 2009

The tech support guy I talked to @ Sony had definitely heard of the issue b/c Sony is actually giving them a disclaimer to read specifically about the 3.00 update having a negative effect on some systems.  He said that it is listed as an "isolated" issue in their system but said that if it wasn't something that they were working on they wouldn't have given them a disclaimer to read about it since he has never had to read one before.  As for now, I'll be waiting it out w/ my new Sony paperweight.

Message 10 of 20 (13 Views)
0 Likes