Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 14 2013
By: bearsox21 First Son 1 posts

File system on the system is corrupted and will be restored message

4 replies 104 views Edited Feb 14, 2013

I keep getting this message, it takes about five hours for it to restore, after it shuts the system off.  When I turn it back on it just goes back to the restoring message and does it again.  I've restored the entire system, and it works briefly than will freeze and go back to the restoration screen.  Is there anything I can do?

Message 1 of 5 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1541 posts

Re: File system on the system is corrupted and will be restored message

Feb 14, 2013

Enter safe mode choose option#3.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488/~/safe-mode-on-ps3

If it still fails backup your drive then go purchase a new hard drive and replace old one.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/362/~/upgrade-the-hard-disk-drive-%28hdd%...

NOTE: Do not do anything to the new drive just swap the playstation will automatically detect and format for you.You will need to install system software when prompted.Follow directions here to install software on usb.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1189

Message 2 of 5 (93 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 14, 2013

For the last week I have had the exact same issue with my Playstation 3 and eventhough I keep going through the process to restore the system, it keeps gonig back to the same message:

1. "File system on the system is corrupted and will be restored" message
  2. (click OK) and run the update
  3. black screen for about 10 minutes - presumably trying to reset the system
  4. return to initial message after system has restarted (noise and everything)

I have Playstation Plus which gives an automatic update, and have never blocked the update process from start to finish so it should not have been due to my interference. Any word on whether this update has caused such a problem; more importantly, any way to fix this???

Message 3 of 5 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1541 posts

Feb 14, 2013

Waterboy try my steps.

Message 4 of 5 (89 Views)
MVP Support
15476 posts

Feb 15, 2013

It has nothing to do with the update.  The error message isn't quite accurate.  What it means is that the file system is corrupted and a restore will be attempted. The restore process doesn't always work.  It depends on how much, and in what way, the file system is corrupted. If the restore does not work, then the data on your hard disk is lost.  All you can do is to boot the PS3 in safe mode, and use the Restore PS3 System command.  That will allow you to use your PS3 again, without any of the previous data (except trophies, and whatever you had saved in Playstation Plus online storage), unless you made a backup of the hard disk.  If the Restore PS3 System command doesn't work either, then you probably need a new hard disk drive.  If you don't back up your PS3 hard disk, then you risk losing everything at any time.  All it takes is a power failure, or even a game crashing, if it happens at the wrong time.

GKP
Message 5 of 5 (61 Views)
0 Likes