Jan 31 2012
By: ramanoar First Son 6 posts

Freezing during Gameplay

14 replies 45774 views Edited Jan 31, 2012

Hi folks. I understand that this is a wide spread issue among PS3 owners, and I've been hunting the internet for a possible solution that actually works for my case.

Well, my situation is pretty straight forward, my PS3 freezes during gameplay, not on all games, but on most that I own.

First of all my PS3 is a fat one, 80Gb, model CECHL04, European PAL 220V console.

Now, games like LBP, LBP2, Final Fantasy XIII, Assassin's Creed I, Batman Arkham Asylum, MGS4 and COD: Black Ops ran free of any issues.

Games with problems:

. Heavy Rain: ridiculous freezes, I could only play through one scenario, the next load screen it would freeze.

. Infamous: not many freezes, but at least 5 during a gameplay.

. Assassin's Creed II: random freezes, but lots of them.

. God of War 3: also random freezes, and lots of them.

. Resistance: couldn't get passed a certain place.

. Battlefield 3: can't play one single match on multiplayer, not one, it freezes before it ends.

So, I know that PAL and NTSC games should be interchangeble among all kinds of PS3, and that's reflected on my frozen games, some are NTSC, and some are PAL.

Some more details about the freezing: Green and blue lights remain solid, and wifi light keeps on blinking. Although the little yellow light that shows processor running stops working. When it freezes, the sound keeps on going for about 3 seconds, then stops altogether. Pressing the PS button on the controller yields nothing on screen, and it is possible to eject the disc using the console button.

Troubleshoot I have attempted: vacuuming the vents, putting console on vertical and horizontal positions, using the console on a room with a fan above it, and a room with a/c on. The console is on a well ventilated area at all times, and the fan seems to be working properly, not too loud but you can still hear it when other noises are absent. Temperature of the console isn't too hot at the time of freeze. I have restored the file system, with subsequent database rebuild.

I have sent the console to a repair shop, where they ran their tests, and put it for extended use on a play area they have. They replied me that there wasn't anything wrong with my PS3. That noone complained about it freezing. But then again, that is very dependant on the people that used it

The only difference of their setup to mine, is that they use the consoles plugged into an ups system. But from what I read on the internet, it should not be required for a proper use.

I'm considering to buy a new optical drive, but I'm not quite sure if it will resolve my problem.

I'd like ideas on what I can try for myself before getting new parts, or selling it altogether.

Message 1 of 15 (45,774 Views)
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

Re: Freezing during Gameplay

Jan 31, 2012

I had one on Heavy Rain, None on God of War3.  Fallout3 and Fallout New vegas and Skyrim though impossible to play but everyone says on other system and the Computer they are almost issue free.  Go figure.

I do know that Bethesda dont make games for Wii, Could this be the reason for so many issues?  The facts may never be seen.

It wont help man, everyone gets these issues with this system.  They just hate to admit it for some reason.  They prolly only tried a few games for 10 mins tops if that and sometimes it takes a hour to get the issues.  Zoning, different graphics this and that.  This system is a glorified wii in reality and yours is a fat to boot.  Dont get down about it, ive went from good framerates to 0frames on fallout 3 vegas atleast 50 times now since i purchased the dlc.  thats impossible to play.  its like a lockup its hard to tell the difference.  I poped in Aragons Quest i had a lockup prolly cause the system was in shock from fallout.  I havent had a issues since, but that game was also made for wii.  The wii can only play it in 480p though and ps3 can do it in 720p and xbox can do it in 1080p.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 2 of 15 (45,774 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 1, 2012

Just to add, my console shows absolutely no issues when playing music, streamed movies, regular movies, web browsing for extended periods of time.

That makes me think the problem might be on the Blu Ray drive, but I'm not quite sure.

Anyone?

Message 3 of 15 (45,774 Views)
Sackboy
498 posts

Feb 1, 2012

My gut reaction is you are headed for YLOD problems soon, probably just starting to overheat on you. I had very, very similar symptoms. Most games fine, even Heavy Rain was fine when I played it last year (not a hint of hickup with that one), no issue with streaming movies, or Blu-ray. Around Nov, Arkham City froze, and froze, and froze on me. Then a couple other games started glitching (graphical wierdness and a little bit of freezing) on me that hadn't glitched before.

Found this site:

http://www.squidoo.com/3-tips-for-a-cooler-running-and-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-

You can read the rest of my symptoms in the comments there.

Long story short, I replaced the thermal paste, and also upgraded my hard drive. Seems to be (almost) good as new now. I can verify that thermal paste was my issue. GPU was bone dry, CPU still had moist paste from the factory, but it was quickly heading south as well. I say "almost" because a few very minor issues seem to remain for me, slight flickering on COD: BO. I fixed mine just a few days ago, so I've been slowly putting it through the paces and other than the COD issue, I haven't seen any other recurring symptoms. Fallout 3 has been rock solid for me since then. Granted I need a longer stretch of time to be more certain, but I had issues almost constantly after about 30 minutes of play of Fallout3 before, now I have probably 3-4 hours and not one hint of a glitch or freeze.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that my issues were resolved by the YLOD preventative fix.

Another thing, if your yellow light is on solid, it could also be your HD going bad. That light is the HD light, not the CPU.

Message 4 of 15 (45,774 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Feb 1, 2012

Also ignore TheDSter. He seems to think that his experience is universal and that all of us that say our consoles run fine are covering for Sony. He trolls every thread where someone reports a problem and claims your experience is "normal" for a non-defective unit.

If he were arguing that the fat models have a systemic problem with thermal paste drying out anywhere from 2-4 years of age, I'd agree with him. This seems to be a very, very common problem, and I'd even venture to say it's not a matter of "if" it happens to your fat PS3, but "when" it will happen. I'd be first to agree that this is the achilles heel for LONG TERM reliability of these systems. They are very reliable new, and when they have been maintained with the preventative fixes you see on the site I linked to before.

To be specific, up until Batman AC acted up on me the past Nov., my console had the following "issues". Rare, lockups. Certainly no more than I've ever experienced with any other computing platform that I use a lot. None specific to any particular game with one exception. Many of these (again few and rare) lockups seemed to be clear software bugs that others shared (from talking to them with my headset) and were semi-reproducible (like going to XMB while in the multiplayer lobby of FC2 sometimes resulted in freezing). No issues with Blu-ray, EVER. No issues with streaming Netflix, EVER. Just the random and rare game lockup. I don't even think Heavy Rain ever locked up on me once. I play my console a lot too, so I'm not grandpa who just uses it to play Blu-rays once a month. Level 13 on trophies if that gives you any indication of the play time invested in my unit.

Message 5 of 15 (45,774 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 2, 2012

Well, thank you for your reply Eightboll812.

I will definately try those steps before my console burns down.

I will come back here with an update after I change the thermal paste and the HD.

And the first reply to this post, I figured it was just an internet troll going for more forum board points, or whatever.

Message 6 of 15 (45,774 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 25, 2012

So far my PS3 only freezes on Disc related games while the downloaded games work perfectly fine

Message 7 of 15 (43,115 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Jul 10, 2013

Hi all,

I hope someone still reads this thread.

Recently I've started to succumb to the same problems here. It all started when I left the PS3 to do a large (7GB) download+install overnight. When I switched on the TV the next morning, the screen was frozen, but the green WiFi light was still flickering, and the download was hanged at 13%. I had to force-shutdown the PS3.

I tried everything I could think of. Went into safe mode, restored the system, formated it, re-installed the firmware. Nothing worked. Ended up replacing the HDD, installed the firmware fresh... nothing. Some weeks ago, a new firmware version came up, still the same issues.

I notice two behaviors that contribute to this hanging. The first one is that it happens more frequently in online games (DUST 514 is an example). It even happened to me once in PSN. The second one is that sometimes the "freezing" is instantaneous, but other times it is preceeded by the controller stoping to work all of a sudden (4 red lights in the controller flashing). In that case, the game still runs for about 10 seconds, but then there is the PS3 hang. This mostly happens in offline games (i.e., Dead Island).

Has anyone experienced these issues and/or found a solutions for this?

Thanks for reading!

Message 8 of 15 (35,273 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 17, 2014

come on playstation you guys need to fix this.black op1 and 2, CoD Ghosts, battlefeild 4, Jak collection, NFS most wanted and alot more of my games freeze up in game or wont start at all.FIX THIS PROBLEM PLEASE.SO HELP ME ILL GO TO XBOX>

Message 9 of 15 (21,816 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 30, 2014
Xbox is certainly not the answer!!! I'd rather buy a virtual boy. But anyways I bought this ps3 fat used on craigslist. It seems to get kind of warm so I make sure I do my best to give it space to vent. I play a lot of skyrim... When I first played the game it lagged like crazy. After a few mins and after that it runs great. Its randomly freezes maybe once every couple days. It doesn't feel so hot. This is a 40 gig cechg01. From my understanding I still have a warranty. Would it be worth opening it up and apply thermal myself or send her in?
Message 10 of 15 (20,069 Views)
0 Likes