Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 19 2010
By: LividChihuahua Hekseville Citizen 372 posts

Getting you playstation wallet money back from sony.

43 replies 5993 views Edited Aug 19, 2010

So I, like other, refuse to update my PS3 to a point where I lose functionality. I also, like others, had money in my wallet when sony pulled this move and it was stuck in there. Calls to sony came up with nothing, simply stating that they didn't have to give like some elementary school bully. Now instead of coming here and complaining about how they have my money I tried to get it back. 

Now, unlike an elementary school bully, I can't beat them up and take it back, I mean I'd have to drive down to California and I'd probably get tired after beating up the first 10-20 employees I came across, and thats just not going to get me anywhere, so I decided to take some more realistic action.

The BBB complaints weren't doing anything, after-all when your rated an F- your don't care about it anymore. So instead of continually filing complaints or some other hopeless action I decided to sue my state's Consumer Protection Division, after all they have layers who do nothing but deal with this sort of situation. So I contact them and they contacted sony, and after some waiting son'y did nothing, just like they did with complaints with the BBB. Then the state bumped it up, gave it to a lawyer directly and they contacted sony. More waiting ensured and on the last day before the layer escalated the case sony responded, offering a full refund of my Playstation Network wallet, the obligatory 2-4 weeks later (it was actually only like 10 days) and I got a check and a letter from sony.

Sony letter

Sony Check

images edited for web, personal information removed, de-watermarked check

Any others out there who have money stuck in limbo I'd suggest doing the same thing, perhaps your state has more pull than the BBB does, it can't hurt to try. Sure, $9.08 is nothing but I'd rather have the nothing than let sony keep it for screwing me over.

I would have posted this sooner, but I was temporarily banned for "impersonating a sony employee" because some people are obviously dense and can't take a joke.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 44 (5,993 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Re: Getting you playstation wallet money back from sony.

Aug 19, 2010

you sued for 10 bucks wow i thought you had 50-100 bucks on your account i can make 10bucks for being at work an hour

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 44 (5,993 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1134 posts

Aug 19, 2010

jma1024 wrote:

you sued for 10 bucks wow i thought you had 50-100 bucks on your account i can make 10bucks for being at work an hour

Yeah but after a while of "It's only ten bucks" it starts to add up.

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 44 (5,993 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1293 posts

Aug 19, 2010

Okay, so let me get this straight... you went through all that trouble for $9.08? I could understand if it was anywhere between $50 and the $150 max. $9.08 is just not worth any of the trouble and waiting.

Legendaryphoenix
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 44 (5,993 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
266 posts

Aug 19, 2010

You have to wonder if all the time persuing this would be worth it?  Prolly not.  But even if you were to do this wouldnt all the legal mumbo jumbo far exceed the $9.08?  Its easily safe to say yes.  So what is the point?  Just so you can say "ha ha ha Sony, that'll show you"

Seems a lil juvenile.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 44 (5,993 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
423 posts

Aug 19, 2010

Good job getting your wallet refunded, but you're actually entitled to more than that.

As everyone knows, the Playstation store offers up to 5 downloads of any game title you purchase. That makes access to downloads part of the retail contract. This is important; if you get a corrupt hard drive, all your PSN games are gone forever unless you can re-download them.

Since it's a clear retail contract violation, as nothing on the PS store says you have to have current firmware to get your 5 downloads, Sony legally owes you the full purchase price of all the games you bought. 

I've been meaning to small-claim them for the value of my PSN purchases, but haven't got around to it since they didn't amount to a whole lot... though now I've been reminded there are other reasonable things you can add to small claims. 4 months of no access to PSN is one such thing. The first small claim mentioned on this site netted $3000, I think.

If you can find a friend with PSN access, go to the PS store, find the terms of sale and take a screenshot, or if they've changed it, find an image of it from elsewhere. Then send it to your state's CPD along with an explanation of why Sony is in violation of the terms.

That could get you a full refund. If you're one of those who's spent hundreds on the PS store, it could be well worth your while. And it's not a small issue - every one of your PSN games could disappear tomorrow. You need those downloads, Sony stole 'em, get compensation.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 44 (5,993 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Aug 19, 2010

Most people in this thread seem to miss the point. It's not about the 9.08$, it's about maintaining and excersising your consumer rights.

Kudos to you for sticking it to the man!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 44 (5,993 Views)
Splicer
70 posts

Aug 19, 2010

Nice! Congrats, that was one way of going about it i'm sure alot of others can use this information.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 44 (5,993 Views)
Lombax Warrior
254 posts

Aug 19, 2010

FAIL!!!!! U FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click To Help Improve The PlayStation 3 Experience

If you want to add me, heres my PSN : AG-WarFighter
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 44 (5,993 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1156 posts

Aug 19, 2010

jma1024 wrote:

If I'm reading the OP's post correctly he didn't sue but rather filed a complaint with his state's attorney general which probably wrote Sony a letter asking them to resolve the situation and Sony simply chose this method of resolution.  No cost to the OP to do this.  Despite the small amount involved this is a 100% win.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 44 (5,993 Views)