Hekseville Citizen
285 posts

Re: I used to love my PS3, but now, not so much.

Feb 25, 2011

i've read alot about people not liking what SONY is doing or how they are handling the GeoHot and Jailbreaking Saga.

But honestly if you built a product you'd want it to sell.  In order to sell you'd have to have certain things.  In the case of gaming consoles.  You would need good games developed by other compaines with big name titles.

if your system offers no security and everyone can just copy and paste games onto a hard drive and hand it to their friends would you want to make a product for that system?

seriously if one person buys a 60dollar game and copies it for his/her buddies say 3-4 friends the company that developed the product has lost 180$ to 240$. and in the Age of the Internet 1 person can upload it onto a Torrent site and have further reach.

honestly, what happend to the Tower Records and CD Shops? Music is a measly 4megs on average small size easy to get on P2P services like limewire. if games were to go the way of the CD then what is left? Digital downloads of games that reach 40-50gigs?

in the case of geohot he opened a door to piracy no matter what he says or anyone else saying they want this and that.  honestly, how many of us are Linux users or know shell commands or basic DOS commands.  Anyways, Sony is disappointed in him for posting their METLDR KEYS which lead to the Dongle Jailbreaks.  Don't give me that Freedom of Speech either...If i posted up the Security Key to your alarm system i am sure you wouldn't be to happy about that.

Message 11 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Feb 25, 2011

xpresspackage wrote:

honestly, how many of us are Linux users or know shell commands or basic DOS commands? 

Well - although you weren't asking me specifically - I happen to be a fairly knowlegable Linux user who knows shell commands and basic DOS commands. 

I'm a software tester who maintains Linux and/or Unix servers to test against and I'm also a site admin for the Yellow Dog Linux forums:  http://www.yellowdog-board.com 

So - yes - the removal of OtherOS was particularly painful for me, since one of the things I do is generate updated Firefox builds on my PS3 for PowerPC Yellow Dog forum users.  (i.e. PowerMacs, PS3s, IBM Blades, etc.)  This isn't something that the Mozilla Foundation does - they only support a few major platforms.

I still do those builds, but I've had to orphan that PS3 from PSN and leave its firmware at 3.15 to continue using Linux.

Cheers,

Paul

Message 12 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
285 posts

Feb 26, 2011

my apologizes, didn't know you made up the 1.6% of linux users out there.

- source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

yeah i know it's wikipedia still...

i am not knocking on linux i boot backtrack every so often, just stating that the average user would have little to no use for the option, but just to have an option.

Message 13 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

Feb 27, 2011

Think befor you post, remember that rollin

Teheee :smileyvery-happy:
Message 14 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Feb 27, 2011

xpresspackage wrote:

my apologizes, didn't know you made up the 1.6% of linux users out there.

- source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

yeah i know it's wikipedia still...

i am not knocking on linux i boot backtrack every so often, just stating that the average user would have little to no use for the option, but just to have an option.

Actually, I would think that would even be a bit outdated consider the rise of Android on SmartPhones, Netbooks, Tablets, and now TVs.  Funny part of it, they actually had toilets in Japan running linux last time I was there....  I think it hit the news in the States as well, video gaming toilets.

Message 15 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1507 posts

Feb 27, 2011

hey..dont let the door hit ya on the way out..buh bye now...lmao...pathetic...IMG_0004.jpg

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Message 16 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Feb 27, 2011

Lol, I did not hear about that one.  I assume Sony has no affiliation with those gems being that multi-tasking of any magnitude is not exactly in their skill set.

Message 17 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes