Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 19 2012
By: southernprophet First Son 3 posts

International Gamer URGENT HELP NEEDED

[ Edited ]
6 replies 95 views Edited Nov 19, 2012

I purchased my PS3 in the U.S. I currently live in Abu Dhabi (U.A.E.), where I recently purchased a game. My system is showing the message "invalid format." Does my PS3 not play this game because it was not purchased in America?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (95 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16721 posts

Re: International Gamer URGENT HELP NEEDED

Nov 19, 2012

Sounds that way. Most games are region free but apparently now there are a handful that are locked. What game is it?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (87 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13966 posts

Nov 19, 2012

southernprophet wrote:

Does my PS3 not play this game because it was not purchased in America?

No.  PS3 games are usually region-coded, but very few are region-locked.   Generally PS3 games from anywhere can be played on any PS3.  Even if the game could not be played due to region locking, the error message would not be "invalid format".  The PS3 would recognize the disk.  It would have to, in order to know that it should not play it. There is something else going on.  Perhaps the disk is counterfeit.   

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (77 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Nov 20, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

southernprophet wrote:

Does my PS3 not play this game because it was not purchased in America?

No.  PS3 games are usually region-coded, but very few are region-locked.   Generally PS3 games from anywhere can be played on any PS3.  Even if the game could not be played due to region locking, the error message would not be "invalid format".  The PS3 would recognize the disk.  It would have to, in order to know that it should not play it. There is something else going on.  Perhaps the disk is counterfeit.   

I have noticed, here in the Forum, members from outside the US have mentioned a big issue with pirated games.  Apparently it is an issue outside the US, where games are pirated and made to look like the real thing.  

This could be your issue.  Does the disk look "off" at all.  Is there anything strange about the case and instructions?  These are things to take into consideration.  Can you try to return / exchange it?

It seems unfortunate, and my suggestions may have nothing to do with the issue.  Just some ideas.  Good luck though.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (64 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 20, 2012

Call of Duty, Black Ops 1. I know I'm late, but I haven't played it yet. I enjoy the fact that old games are new to me. It's cheaper that way, lol!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (59 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 20, 2012

I bought it from a reputable retailer (at least what I considered to be reputable) here in U.A.E. They are like the WalMart of the Middle East. I do have my receipt and will be returning the game within three days if I can't find a solution.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (58 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Nov 20, 2012

southernprophet wrote:

I bought it from a reputable retailer (at least what I considered to be reputable) here in U.A.E. They are like the WalMart of the Middle East. I do have my receipt and will be returning the game within three days if I can't find a solution.

This is probably your best bet.  Good luck.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (53 Views)