Jan 22 2013
By: WalterDWormack Lombax Warrior 147 posts

Is it true that PS3 HDDs aren't interchangeable?

7 replies 2507 views Edited Jan 22, 2013

I bought a new PS3 'slim' 320GB Move bundle, two months ago,  I've built up a library of programs for it (30 titles, and growing).  Currently, I'm bogged down in KILLZONE 2.  I've been stuck in a insanely difficult stage, (I'm 57 years old. I'm no gamer, I'm using the program firmly set at the 'easiest' degree of difficulty, RECRUIT). My console's been running non-stop for several days, and I'm sure the dreaded YLOD, will strike at any minute. I am prepared to buy a new PS3.  But I want to transfer the drive I'm using NOW in the new console.  Can I do this?  Because I don't want to keep wearing out consoles trying to finish programs like KILLZONE 2.  That's why outlawing codes was a stupid and bigoted thing to do. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (2,507 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2750 posts

Re: Is it true that PS3 HDDs aren't interchangeable?

Jan 22, 2013
Yeah, you can move the drive and the PS3 is the easiest device to do such a thing on. Not a problem at all, Sony makes it easy. You could literally just pop off the drive cover, pull out the drive, put it in the new PS3 and turn it on.

Games are key to your account not the hardware so moving the HDD moves everything that matters.
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face" - George Orwell

"A word and a blow -- And the blow first!" - Scottish Reiver Saying
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (2,502 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16266 posts

Jan 22, 2013

MonkeyKing1969 wrote:
Yeah, you can move the drive and the PS3 is the easiest device to do such a thing on. Not a problem at all, Sony makes it easy. You could literally just pop off the drive cover, pull out the drive, put it in the new PS3 and turn it on.

Games are key to your account not the hardware so moving the HDD moves everything that matters.

Are you being sarcastic? First of all it's not that easy. Many people have had trouble with the screw that holds the HDD carriage. It's over tightened right from the factory and easy to strip. Second when they change drives it's going to reformat so any data will be lost. They'll be able to redownload any paid for content except movies but their saves will be gone. Moving the HDD doesn't move everyhting that matters.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (2,495 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13065 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

WalterDWormack wrote:

I am prepared to buy a new PS3.  But I want to transfer the drive I'm using NOW in the new console.  Can I do this? 

The short answer is no, but let's clear up a few misconceptions first.  Running your console for several days, or even weeks, is not going to cause the YLOD "any minute". Like any computer, the PS3 is designed to run continuously for thousands of hours in the recommended operating environment.  Years ago we had compute grid software for the PS3.  People were encouraged to leave their PS3s on when they were not using them, and run apps that would allow the PS3's processor to be used to process data from radio telescopes, DNA sequences, and other high volume sources that used to require an expensive supercomputer that few researchers had access to.  People ran those apps 24 hours a day for years, and most of them didn't get the YLOD.  Whether or not you get the YLOD depends on which PS3 model you have, and a lot of random factors related to its manufacture.  It isn't inevitable, and it doesn't happen after a set number of hours. It is too early to know what the failure rate of the 320GB Slim will be, but it is far less likely to get the YLOD at any point, than the early PS3 models.  Also, having the game in pause mode doesn't use a lot of power, and therefore doesn't drive much wear on the system.  You're not playing 24 hours a day.  You just have the console sitting there idle with the game loaded.  It is way too early to worry about the YLOD after 2 months with a 320GB Slim.

Second, while the hard drive in any PS3 can be installed in any other PS3, the data won't move with it.  Each PS3 encrypts its hard drive data with a unique key, and it can't be read by any other device, including a different PS3.  There isn't any point in moving your old hard drive to a new PS3, unless the old hard drive has more capacity than the one in the new PS3.  That won't happen unless you installed your own upgraded hard drive in the old PS3.  There are ways to move at least some of your data from one PS3 to another.  If you have the new and old PS3s at the same time, and they both still work, then you can use the PS3 Data Transfer Utility in the System Settings menu to clone the old hard drive to the new one over an Ethernet cable. If the original PS3 has failed, then you would have to have a recent backup on a USB hard drive that was made using the PS3 Backup Utility in order to recover anything that was on your old PS3 hard disk drive.  You would have to download and install any games or add-ons from the Playstation Store, but your user profiles, non-Playstation Store media, and non-copy protected save data could be restore to the new PS3 from the backup.  You could also back up your save data (except for copy-protected save data) to a USB flash drive. Your last option is to subscribe to Playstation Plus, which would allow you to store your save data (even most copy-protected save data) from PS3 games like Killzone 2 to PSN servers.  It could be downloaded later to your new PS3, if needed.

Lastly, codes have not been outlawed.  They are just obsolete.  Codes were never really intended to allow gamers to cheat at games.  They were intended to make testing of games more efficient, by allowing the game testers to quickly play through parts of the game that had already been extensively tested, and reach the parts of the game that still needed work sooner.  Once development was complete, the codes were left in place because it is risky to make any changes to software after it is tested.  In the early days codes were leaked by testers, but some publishers would release codes deliberately to make their games more accessible to more casual gamers (games didn't have easy modes back then).  Today's game engines have testing tools built into them that largely obviate the need for codes, and developers do less testing now anyway because current generation consoles have the ability to patch games after release (which did not exist before the XBox).  Developers don't worry about shipping games with bugs anymore, because they figure that they can just issue a patch later.  Few games have published codes anymore because the codes were never implemented in the game in the first place.  They weren't outlawed. Many games have multiple difficulty settings these days, including a setting for casual gamers that aren't used to failing at something dozens of times while they learn the game's skills; or are more interested in the story than in a challenge. That doesn't necessarily mean that the game will be easy.  Just less challenging than the default mode.  If you think that Killzone 2 is hard, you should try some of the games that are produced exclusively for the Japanese market (first person shooters are not that popular in Japan, and Killzone was developed in Europe primarily for western gamers).  Those are often punishing difficult. In Asian culture perseverance is celebrated as much, if not more, than ability.  Having to repeat a level 100 times to beat it is considered character-building in Asia.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (2,489 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jan 22, 2013

For Fat Models and Slim Models the HDD is real easy to take out. Although it will void your warranty if you do this. 

All you have to do is unscrew the screw and pull the thing out. 

ALTHOUGH, If your on the new Super Slim it is extremely difficult to take out the HDD, by this I mean you must take it completely apart. I have done this, without using and tutorials or anything it took me about an hour to take HDD out of slim and into super-slim.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (2,474 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16266 posts

Jan 23, 2013

xBazille wrote:

For Fat Models and Slim Models the HDD is real easy to take out. Although it will void your warranty if you do this. 

ALTHOUGH, If your on the new Super Slim it is extremely difficult to take out the HDD, by this I mean you must take it completely apart. I have done this, without using and tutorials or anything it took me about an hour to take HDD out of slim and into super-slim.

Again misinformation. It WILL NOT void your warranty if you remove your HDD.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (2,453 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4504 posts

Jan 23, 2013

xBazille wrote:

I'm guessing you just missed the opening for the HDD on the super slim?  You don't have to take the system apart, but if you did it would void the warranty.  I swapped my HDD from my old PS3 to the new super slim in under 5 minutes, after looking up where the HDD was because I had no idea :smileytongue:.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (2,445 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 23, 2013

As you only bought the console 2 months ago, if you do get the YLOD, you are still under warantee and can get sony to fix it for you. Depending on where you bought it, you may also be able to take it back if a fault develops.

As for transferring data:

You need some kind of external HDD to run a back-up of your current internal PS3 HDD. If you plug in your external drive into the ps3 and choose the back up option from the settings menu to back-up your stuff. Or if you are a plus member, you can do an online backup.

I'm taking it you're thinking about getting the new 12GB super slim? (As I don't know why you would want to downgrade from 500GB to 320GB :smileyfrustrated: )

If so, you need to buy the "PS3 HDD mounting bracket". If you type this into google, places where you can buy this will come up. Unfortunately the 12GB PS3 doesn't come with this and it is absolutely essential for installing a HDD into your 12GB SS.

You will also need some needlenosed pliers to get the screws out of the existing HDD bracket in your current PS3. You could try to get the screws out with a screwdriver but they are so soft they instantly strip. I have managed to wreck a bracket from doing this, I just got so annoyed with it and it is now unusable.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (2,437 Views)
0 Likes