Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Re: Lawsuit filed yesterday in Fed. Court against Sony regarding FW3.21 OtherOs

Apr 29, 2010

Kamiyama01 wrote:
I don't know the lawyer, I just emailed her to find out what is going on. I wanted to post what she said to me in case anyone else wanted to get involved.

Thanks for the info man! If all goes well I should be back online playing with you in no time

Oh and yeah, i'm most definitely contacting this lawyer now. I wanna be a part of this, even if it goes no where I don't want rules changing for me to later regret not signing up. Thanks again!

-gygabyte666
Please use plain text.
Message 170 of 2,398 (2 Views)
Wastelander
910 posts

Apr 29, 2010

I think an injunction to immediately halt the current firmware update would be a seperate filing and not part of a lawsuit but not being a lawyer...

I hope this does not get settled.

This needs to go to court/trial so that a legal ruling can be made or else down the road some other electronics company or even Sony will attempt this again. If this is settled out of court no legal ruling on who owns the functionality of electronic devices dependent on software will be made (if that can even happen with this lawsuit?) and we'll all be back to sitting on a time bomb waiting for our devices to cease working as advertised at the manufacturers whim.

Remember corporations with Big Media and Intellectual Property interests are engaged in a Holy War on Piracy whose aim is utter control of the content you view and functions you can exercise on any device you 'own.' A settlement here would represent a tactical retreat in that war.

Please use plain text.
Message 171 of 2,398 (2 Views)
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Apr 29, 2010

Criticalfrimmel wrote:

I think an injunction to immediately halt the current firmware update would be a seperate filing and not part of a lawsuit but not being a lawyer...

This needs to go to court/trial so that a legal ruling can be made or else down the road some other electronics company or even Sony will attempt this again. If this is settled out of court no legal ruling on who owns the functionality of electronic devices dependent on software will be made (if that can even happen with this lawsuit?) and we'll all be back to sitting on a time bomb waiting for our devices to cease working as advertised at the manufacturers whim.

Remember corporations with Big Media and Intellectual Property interests are engaged in a Holy War on Piracy whose aim is utter control of the content you view and functions you can exercise on any device you 'own.' A settlement here would represent a tactical retreat in that war.

Absolutely! We need a win for consumer rights. We should be able to install whatever software we please on our own electronic devices, big corps shouldn't have the right to interfere with our privacy like this.

Please use plain text.
Message 172 of 2,398 (2 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1156 posts

Apr 29, 2010

Criticalfrimmel wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what is at stake here.  I mentioned before that Sony will likely make every effort to settle this case in order to prevent this from going to the jury.  The outome of this case will have a huge impact on the industry as a whole governing what companies can and cannot do with the terms of service.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 173 of 2,398 (2 Views)
Wastelander
541 posts

Apr 29, 2010

Criticalfrimmel wrote:

One thing you can do (and I plan on doing) is send an objection to the court during the settlement process, saying that any settlement that does not restore this feature is simply Sony buying people off. I don't want to be bought off. I want to know that when I purchase a product, the advertised features will not be removed after the sale.

You could also opt-out, which opens up the possibility of your own suit. However, any suit without money as the objective will have upfront legal costs. These lawyers are involved because they can profit off from the settlement.

Please use plain text.
Message 174 of 2,398 (2 Views)
Gaming Beast
2481 posts

Apr 29, 2010
This class action seeks redress for Sony's deliberate removal of valuable functions in one, with the availability of the PlayStation 3 video game console was advertised originally.

This distance is only a fraction of the contract between Sony and its customers and a breach of good faith is not it also means an unfair and deceptive trade practices at the expense of millions of unsuspecting consumers.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 175 of 2,398 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4373 posts

Apr 29, 2010

I am very happy for those of you in the US that can take part, and benefit from this case.  I will live vicariously through you, as it would seem no one here in Canada will try to take up this cause.

I have contacted class action firms here in Ontario, but none have responded back to me about this.

One can only hope that the inertia of this action in the States is enough to carry forward into resolutions here in Canada, but I'm not holding my breath.

Congratulations, my American friends, on this first step into a brave new future for Consumer Rights in your country.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 176 of 2,398 (2 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Apr 29, 2010

Hey Guys, this is really good news – I just read it!!

Let’s make this Class Action of worldwide knowing so Sony maybe start to think twice before remove features at its own will.

Just the news about a Class Action against Sony is able to make a good effect in Sony’s authoritarian behavior.

Please use plain text.
Message 177 of 2,398 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
791 posts

Apr 29, 2010

reeninge wrote:

Criticalfrimmel wrote:

One thing you can do (and I plan on doing) is send an objection to the court during the settlement process, saying that any settlement that does not restore this feature is simply Sony buying people off. I don't want to be bought off. I want to know that when I purchase a product, the advertised features will not be removed after the sale.

You could also opt-out, which opens up the possibility of your own suit. However, any suit without money as the objective will have upfront legal costs. These lawyers are involved because they can profit off from the settlement.

Excellent Point my friend!

I also believe that PS3 ownerd are due to be compensated for MORE than the loss of other OS or being locked out of the PSN. I think we should also be compensated for EVERY GAME that we purchased whos functionality has been diminished by the lack of PSN access. Most games on-line component is separate from the core game but whe you have a game like Demon's Souls, which was DESIGNED for use with the PSN, not having access actually RUINS the game and renders it UNPLAYABLE in the fashion in which it was marketed and advertised by developers. For me (since I refuse to update) this game has become WORTHLESS, and thus I have WASTED $69 on something I can no longer use......

I guess I could go after the DEVELOPERS for this but they didnt do anything wrong SONY DID....I sincerely believe that the developers have a LEGITIMATE lawsuit agaings Sony, but they will never sue because the need Sony......however I don't and even after this is resolved, I STILL intend to boycott all Sont Products for the rest of my life.

--------------------------------
They can BAN me....but they will NEVER be able to STIFLE ME!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 178 of 2,398 (2 Views)
Gaming Beast
2481 posts

Apr 29, 2010
now its called false advertising
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 179 of 2,398 (2 Views)
0 Likes