Re: Lawsuits filed in Fed. Court against Sony regarding FW3.21 OtherOs

Jan 19, 2011

ctfw529 wrote:

alanrr_sr2 wrote:

watsuke wrote:

alanrr_sr2 wrote:

watsuke wrote:

curiousecat wrote:

geo had proved once and for all the console had a security hole.

And I as a  Consumer felt like Sony mislead us about "Other OS" being a security issue.

Now as this goes to court . I wonder what new discoveries are being made for or against the other OS.

"We were taught to respect authority, and parents and, basically, everything," he said. "And, in my opinion, that's one of the most basic things that has changed in our society: People don't have much respect for anything. They use foul and vulgar language. Violence is -- it fills all the movies. It's hard to watch a movie that's not filled with violence and vulgarity and bleep." Pima County Sheriff C. D.

So you agree OtherOS is a security issue?

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - watsuke

Wrong. The entire PS3 is a security issue, or do u think that the only way to hack it would be OtherOs?

Im not going to teach you the history of how the PS3 was hacked, you can google it yourself.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - watsuke

No, you wont, mostly because you can't.

But you can (TRY TO) teach me why OtherOS was THE ONLY WAY to find a hack. (save games...here they go...)

oh, and here we go. another person just jumping into the conversation without looking at past posts to know what they're posting about. no one said that otheros was the "only way" to hack the ps3.

At least someone sees why that person is incompetent. The problem in this forum is people like alanrr_sr2 dont read what others write. Stop trolling the forum and stay out of disscusions you know little about.

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."
Please use plain text.
Message 1751 of 2,398 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Jan 19, 2011

Eh we might want to get used to it. This is a rather touchy debate, and when googled the PS3 forums com up on the PS3 google my avatar name and you will find all that I have posted. I think it is these post people are tracking.

Also there maybe posts that have been removed, how ever, google saves snap shots of every web site.

In truth google has a very large database in its self everything I and you hve keyed in with the last perhpas 3 years can be located deleted or not.

So every thing we have spoke of  since lithuim can be found. even of the documents have been deleted.

so when people are searching for data with regards to what is going on with other OS  or any lawsuit and they tie that in with  Sony and this is what we get. People that have skimmed the pages have chosen to comment.

How is that for facinating?

would you like me to demonstrate this in another thread?

Oh wait I have already done so.

This should be common knowledge.

I thought every one knew of this?

just think of it as part of the web.

SCEA’s decision to implement Update 3.21 placed Plaintiffs and Class members in a “Hobson’s Choice.” PS3 owners who chose not to install Update 3.21 could no longer access
many of the other important PS3 features including the PSN, the ability to play games online, the ability to access online features, or the ability to play newer PS3 games and/or Blu-ray discs that required Update 3.21. On the other hand, PS3 owners who did install Update 3.21 lost all access to the computer functionality of the PS3’s “Other OS” feature.
Please use plain text.
Message 1752 of 2,398 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 19, 2011

In today's news...

Are Sony’s lawyers grasping at straws to take down PS3 hacker George “Geohot” Hotz?

In order to establish personal justification in the state of California, the latest round of court documents once again attempt to pin Hotz’s hacking efforts under the terms of the PSN user agreement. It also includes evidence to support such a claim, notably that Hotz has a registered PSN user account under the alias of ‘Geo1Hotz’

Here’s the kicker: even Sony admits it has no actual proof that Hotz himself registered the account, noting that “Even if Hotz is not the user registered as Geo1Hotz, he could be registered to use the network under another alias.” Pure conjecture.

Weak evidence there, we’d say. Hard to see the Court not dismissing this. At the very least, it looks like this case will move to New Jersey, Geohot’s home state. It was already somewhat evident from Judge Susan Illston’s say on the matter last week.

We have received your complaint. Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

Please use plain text.
Message 1753 of 2,398 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Jan 19, 2011

Naquiel wrote:

Metalspector wrote:

You know what? I'm tired of so many people judging someone lile geohotz wrong. Yes, the exploits many hackers have found can be abused by some, but many use it for good things. My PSP has custom firmware, and maybe tomorrow my PS3 will to. In my hacked PSP I never pirated any games. I installed CFW on it because I loved all the features created on it, from internet browser (before Sony added it), Radio Stations, Customizable XMB, homebrew games, and the ablity to play my Playstation, GBA, Genesis, and SNES games which many of them were indefinately the best games ever created. Thanks to hackers in the PS3 scene, great things might come out for the PS3 considering what a powerful system it is. You cannot blame noone in the PS3 hacking scene for your problems, just like you can't blame kitchen knife manufacturers for any knife-related homicide, and just like you can't blame the car industry for drunk drivers. If you really are an adult as you say you are then get over it. When you buy a PS3 console you OWN the PS3 console and there is no reason why someone can dictate what I do with it. Yet, the PSN is a free service, complementary of SONY, that you do not own the rights to so noone is damaging your property.

Over 99.9% of gamers who play online are pwned by koreans, if you are part of that 99.9% plz copy paste this sig.

Doing things with your own hardware is up to your own business, but when you hack the device to tresspass and cause problems on a service sony runs is not no matter how you look at it.

The thing here was Geo was responsable for letting out info that was illegal to let out, so he will be delt with by the letter of the law. We will have to see whats happens in court.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.

But that's the thing, Geohot reveal info for the people that wanted to use it responsibly. He even blocked access to running backups. Other people, not Geohot, used his work irresponsibly. Geohot should not be responsable. A few years ago Geohot was brought into trial for breaching the Iphones security. The result was that Geohot won, the courts recognized that if you payed for the device you are free to used the device in any way as long as you don't use it for criminal purposes. I defend Geohot because he is fighting for my rights to completely own what I pay for. When I bought the PS3, noone made me sign a contract limiting what I could do with it, and you always take for granted that you BOUGHT IT so therefore you OWN IT.

Over 99.9% of gamers who play online are pwned by koreans, if you are part of that 99.9% plz copy paste this sig.
Please use plain text.
Message 1754 of 2,398 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Jan 19, 2011

slo5oh wrote:

In today's news...

Are Sony’s lawyers grasping at straws to take down PS3 hacker George “Geohot” Hotz?

In order to establish personal justification in the state of California, the latest round of court documents once again attempt to pin Hotz’s hacking efforts under the terms of the PSN user agreement. It also includes evidence to support such a claim, notably that Hotz has a registered PSN user account under the alias of ‘Geo1Hotz’

Here’s the kicker: even Sony admits it has no actual proof that Hotz himself registered the account, noting that “Even if Hotz is not the user registered as Geo1Hotz, he could be registered to use the network under another alias.” Pure conjecture.

Weak evidence there, we’d say. Hard to see the Court not dismissing this. At the very least, it looks like this case will move to New Jersey, Geohot’s home state. It was already somewhat evident from Judge Susan Illston’s say on the matter last week.

We have received your complaint. Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

Thanks for the update and the link. if they have no proof that is if they have credit card that can be traced and other data that SCEA needs for proof, the case could be tossed out.

Granted, Geohot isn’t in the clear yet — the judge refrained from issuing a formal ruling, noting her concerns over whether the case should be heard in California over Hotz’s home state of New Jersey. “Serious questions have been raised here,” she said, referring to Sony’s choice of jurisdiction.

So what does this mean? Sony can not fight on there terf so they are attempting to take the war to his turf? Hmm I remember something about an ancient war battle scheme.

Don't fight the battle on the anothers field, because that person knows the battle filed all to well.

Well, SCEA will be out of there comfort level, this will prove to see how "Unified" the Laws are. it will indeed be, interesting, to say the least..

SCEA’s decision to implement Update 3.21 placed Plaintiffs and Class members in a “Hobson’s Choice.” PS3 owners who chose not to install Update 3.21 could no longer access
many of the other important PS3 features including the PSN, the ability to play games online, the ability to access online features, or the ability to play newer PS3 games and/or Blu-ray discs that required Update 3.21. On the other hand, PS3 owners who did install Update 3.21 lost all access to the computer functionality of the PS3’s “Other OS” feature.
Please use plain text.
Message 1755 of 2,398 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Jan 19, 2011

Metalspector wrote:

Naquiel wrote:

Metalspector wrote:

You know what? I'm tired of so many people judging someone lile geohotz wrong. Yes, the exploits many hackers have found can be abused by some, but many use it for good things. My PSP has custom firmware, and maybe tomorrow my PS3 will to. In my hacked PSP I never pirated any games. I installed CFW on it because I loved all the features created on it, from internet browser (before Sony added it), Radio Stations, Customizable XMB, homebrew games, and the ablity to play my Playstation, GBA, Genesis, and SNES games which many of them were indefinately the best games ever created. Thanks to hackers in the PS3 scene, great things might come out for the PS3 considering what a powerful system it is. You cannot blame noone in the PS3 hacking scene for your problems, just like you can't blame kitchen knife manufacturers for any knife-related homicide, and just like you can't blame the car industry for drunk drivers. If you really are an adult as you say you are then get over it. When you buy a PS3 console you OWN the PS3 console and there is no reason why someone can dictate what I do with it. Yet, the PSN is a free service, complementary of SONY, that you do not own the rights to so noone is damaging your property.

Doing things with your own hardware is up to your own business, but when you hack the device to tresspass and cause problems on a service sony runs is not no matter how you look at it.

The thing here was Geo was responsable for letting out info that was illegal to let out, so he will be delt with by the letter of the law. We will have to see whats happens in court.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.

But that's the thing, Geohot reveal info for the people that wanted to use it responsibly. He even blocked access to running backups. Other people, not Geohot, used his work irresponsibly. Geohot should not be responsable. A few years ago Geohot was brought into trial for breaching the Iphones security. The result was that Geohot won, the courts recognized that if you payed for the device you are free to used the device in any way as long as you don't use it for criminal purposes. I defend Geohot because he is fighting for my rights to completely own what I pay for. When I bought the PS3, noone made me sign a contract limiting what I could do with it, and you always take for granted that you BOUGHT IT so therefore you OWN IT.

Metalspector, thank you, I In my poor way of explaining such have been trying to say the same thing.

I own what I bought and there for, I should be able to determine what I should keep or not.

if this is a leased Item, then SCEA should pay for all or at a reduced rate for the repairs.

Perhaps these 2 fights will determine if we really own or not.

Please use plain text.
Message 1756 of 2,398 (19 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Jan 19, 2011

Naquiel :

Talk about weird phrasing,

Doing things with your own hardware is up to your own business

but when you hack the device to tresspass and cause problems on a service sony runs is not no matter how you look at it.

Which is it, our device or the device?

How can we tresspass on our own property?

That is like saying I own the house but allowing some one else tell me what to do in my own house. at this point, I show them the door. and I have done that.

Please use plain text.
Message 1757 of 2,398 (19 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1134 posts

Jan 19, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

Naquiel :

Talk about weird phrasing,

Doing things with your own hardware is up to your own business

but when you hack the device to tresspass and cause problems on a service sony runs is not no matter how you look at it.

Which is it, our device or the device?

How can we tresspass on our own property?

That is like saying I own the house but allowing some one else tell me what to do in my own house. at this point, I show them the door. and I have done that.

"We were taught to respect authority, and parents and, basically, everything," he said. "And, in my opinion, that's one of the most basic things that has changed in our society: People don't have much respect for anything. They use foul and vulgar language. Violence is -- it fills all the movies. It's hard to watch a movie that's not filled with violence and vulgarity and bleep." Pima County Sheriff C. D.

The PSN is Sonys house, the software on the PS3 is the key to their house. When you modify the key it will no longer work for the locks on Sonys house, or if you tell them you dont want a new key for the new locks. They also have guest houses, games and movies. With each new guest house they have the newest locks. You can break in to their house but that would be tresspassing.

So you see, you own the hardware and Sony owns the software. Broken record? Yes. Get it yet? No.

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."
Please use plain text.
Message 1758 of 2,398 (19 Views)
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Jan 19, 2011

slo5oh wrote:

In today's news...

and your source? sounds like something straight out of one of those "scene" websites that blather on about how what they're doing is legal.

Please use plain text.
Message 1759 of 2,398 (19 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1134 posts

Jan 19, 2011

To put it simply. This is how gaming has been for over 20 years. Its a system that works, and its a system that saved the gaming industry from bankrupcy. The gaming companies have control over what goes in their system. If you dont like it, dont buy game consoles. Gaming isnt for you. Leave the gaming industry to the gamers. If you want a PC, buy a PC, sell your PS3, and move on with your life knowing Sony wont be getting any more money from you.

Please use plain text.
Message 1760 of 2,398 (19 Views)
0 Likes