Fender Bender
4176 posts

Re: Lawsuits filed in Fed. Court against Sony regarding FW3.21 OtherOs

Jan 29, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

Hey guys..remember that analogy of the other OS removal was like taking a car in to the shop to get it fixed and having something like the A/C removed??

"We were taught to respect authority, and parents and, basically, everything," he said. "And, in my opinion, that's one of the most basic things that has changed in our society: People don't have much respect for anything. They use foul and vulgar language. Violence is -- it fills all the movies. It's hard to watch a movie that's not filled with violence and vulgarity and bleep." Pima County Sheriff C. D.

how many times does it have to be explained to you that you do not have ownership rights over sony's software?

and your case has more to do with mechanics being forced to pay money to access the software to make the repairs rather than the owner of the vehicle having ownership rights to that software.  and i don't see whether it is explained that the fee was anytime they make a repair or if it's a one-shot deal and they have access to it anytime after they pay the fee.

i would imagine that an authorized 3rd party sony repair shop would have to pay some money to get the tools necessary to make repairs on, say, someone's PS3.  but i don't know for sure, so...

Message 2121 of 2,398 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Jan 29, 2011

ziggurcat wrote:

icemonkey310 wrote:

Now that Sony is using DMCA take down notices to get material removed from the Internet for which they do not own copyrights for things are going to get really ugly for them. 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

the material is in violation of the DMCA as it is being used to circumvent the access controls of sony's IP, which they own, that is why it is being removed. 

Tell me something I don't know I have an uncle who is a computer tech who warned of this 3 years ago..and frankly the feature is even more scary when it comes to computing devices.

Oh if Sony did jump the gun and didn't get a judges consent for the DMCA it could very well harm SCEA but seeing how the many of the dockets are either being updated or blanked its hard to follow what it happening. plus the delay in placing the dockets up..as far as I know a judge has to approve of that.

Also Both sides seriously need to take a chill pill...Something is going to happen if this forest fire isn't suppressed. there needs to be a temporary cease fire. because what I am telling you is that if there isn't one... It will become very Ugly for every one and I mean for all of us as people ..Makes no difference who we are are and what we do or don't do..The fall out is going to really nasty. you'll understand with things start happening and the PSN is down for maintenance more then usual.

That is if it gets taht  ugly and I am hoping it does not.

So far I have  not updated nor have I used the alternate ode.. a Friend decided to use the hack on his PS3 I taped it. and frankly I was surprised. It worked.

I chose not to update. taht means I chose not to agree with the new terms and service agreements.

There is also a rumor being reported that those who try to upgrade the Jail broken PS3 Sony will Break it deliberately. in other words they designed a self destruct code for it. Mind you this is only a rumor though..But No company should have the right to destroy another propperty.

icemonkey310 wrote:

Now that Sony is using DMCA take down notices to get material removed from the Internet for which they do not own copyrights for things are going to get really ugly for them. 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

the material is in violation of the DMCA as it is being used to circumvent the access controls of sony's IP, which they own, that is why it is being removed. 

SCEA’s decision to implement Update 3.21 placed Plaintiffs and Class members in a “Hobson’s Choice.” PS3 owners who chose not to install Update 3.21 could no longer access
many of the other important PS3 features including the PSN, the ability to play games online, the ability to access online features, or the ability to play newer PS3 games and/or Blu-ray discs that required Update 3.21. On the other hand, PS3 owners who did install Update 3.21 lost all access to the computer functionality of the PS3’s “Other OS” feature.
Message 2122 of 2,398 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4176 posts

Jan 29, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

Also it appears that "Balack Ops" have started placing bands not based on the CFW's but rather the hacks that they are using for cheating.

Sony has also intimated a DMCA but there was no order from the judge granting this or non that I could see as of yet.

So I am not sure if this was Sony jumping the gun or what but many of the tools and CFWs are being moved to countries that are in support of such issues.

Its kind of like SCEA putting a small bandaid to stop a GSW.

What has been done has been done.

There is talk that hackers are going to print t-shirts with the codes on them, and even produce coffee cups with codes on them with links on how to obtain them.

Don't be surprised if a bumper sticker comes out with the keys lol. Now that would be hilarious...

But joking aside..it has happened in real life..It happened with the i-Phone.

The hackers are really thinking about this I am not joking.

"We were taught to respect authority, and parents and, basically, everything," he said. "And, in my opinion, that's one of the most basic things that has changed in our society: People don't have much respect for anything. They use foul and vulgar language. Violence is -- it fills all the movies. It's hard to watch a movie that's not filled with violence and vulgarity and bleep." Pima County Sheriff C. D.

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/30906567#30906567

read the first paragraph of his post.

Message 2123 of 2,398 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1134 posts

Jan 29, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

There is also a rumor being reported that those who try to upgrade the Jail broken PS3 Sony will Break it deliberately. in other words they designed a self destruct code for it. Mind you this is only a rumor though..But No company should have the right to destroy another propperty.

Sony cant legally destroy your PS3. They can, however, block you from PSN if you use a modified FW and your PS3 may brick if you try to tamper with their code. Go ahead and try to sue them for that.

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."
Message 2124 of 2,398 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1134 posts

Jan 29, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

and how many times will you get it through that thick skull of yours , this is called Consumer Oppression?

I thought it was called "Excersizing Consumer Rights by Not Buying A Product That Has Terms and Conditions You Dont Agree With" is it not?

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."
Message 2125 of 2,398 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4176 posts

Jan 29, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

Oh if Sony did jump the gun and didn't get a judges consent for the DMCA it could very well harm SCEA but seeing how the many of the dockets are either being updated or blanked its hard to follow what it happening. plus the delay in placing the dockets up..as far as I know a judge has to approve of that.

Also Both sides seriously need to take a chill pill...Something is going to happen if this forest fire isn't suppressed. there needs to be a temporary cease fire. because what I am telling you is that if there isn't one... It will become very Ugly for every one and I mean for all of us as people ..Makes no difference who we are are and what we do or don't do..The fall out is going to really nasty. you'll understand with things start happening and the PSN is down for maintenance more then usual.

That is if it gets taht  ugly and I am hoping it does not.

So far I have  not updated nor have I used the alternate ode.. a Friend decided to use the hack on his PS3 I taped it. and frankly I was surprised. It worked.

I chose not to update. taht means I chose not to agree with the new terms and service agreements.

sony doesn't need to get a judge's approval for them to exercise their rights by using an existing law.

sony's actions to brick someone's system if they attempt to jailbreak isn't in violation of any law by the very fact that you're breaking the law by attempting to jailbreak your PS3. 

Message 2126 of 2,398 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Jan 29, 2011

watsuke wrote:

DJ_Oedipus wrote:

watsuke wrote:

DJ_Oedipus wrote:

watsuke wrote:

Thats a hardware thing, its not only software. Also, the 60GB PS3 was released with card reader support, it wasnt added later in a FW update.
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - watsuke Anyone else have Steam? I got LFD2.

Not to be ignorant or start a flame war, but I think you need to take an assembly language class.  Hardware doesn't work without software,  it needs something called a software driver to run. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_driver

Not to be ignorant or start a flame war, but i think you need to take an elementary english class. I said "its not only software." As in, if you remove the hardware for the card reader but leave the software, you wont be able to read SD cards until you return the hardware.

Reading can be fun, try doing it when responding to my posts next time.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - watsuke Anyone else have Steam? I got LFD2.

I was trying to explain that the quote you were refering to "If $ony decides to remove card reader support from 60gb ps3's because a new exploit is found will that be just?"  Could be simply done through software by removing the driver for the device.  I don't think he was suggesting that Sony was going to recall every Playstation 3 and reissue new models without SD card slots.  So in fact it's simply software that enables that device to work.  I can also install a flux capacitor to my PS3, but it won't do anything without the software to use it.  In assembly language courses, you usually start by writing device drivers for such things as harddrives, raid controllers, and I even had to write a program to drive an LCD display and create my own calculator.

But like i said it disables hardware. Removing OtherOS doesnt disable any hardware, only software. So the comparison doesnt work.

Thats all i was saying.

In GameOS, your access to the hardware is limited compared to your access in OtherOS. In GameOS you have access only to whatever $ony gives you through a crappy front-end xmb. In OtherOS, your system calls to the Cell may have been gimped, as well as your graphic card resources, but at least you were able to more directly access hardware resources, if only through the HV. Removing OtherOS limits your resources and options to the PS3 hardware. So perhaps if you would like to use this as a comparison it does work...

Let the question stand on it's own. If $ony decides to remove card reader support from 60gb ps3's because a new exploit is found will that be just? The point i'm making is companies need to respond appropriately to situations, and not marginalize its users, as $ony does.

Message 2127 of 2,398 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Jan 29, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

I think you need to understand the recent patch. The security patch that was put out disabled the ability to access the service menu of the ps3. It appers hackers where using the service menu (the menu that service tech's use to fix your ps3, and not to be confused for safe mode) to do their dirty deed, and last i looked the service menu is within the software sony owns. So in the case of a hacker getting a bricked ps3 is because they download the patch, and then they tryed to access the service menu to do their hacking (as in install the cfw), well unless you have the proper deal sony has, you cant get into or out of the service menu. So when the hacker uses their CFW its not doing things it was programmed to do or what sonys software would recognize so its gets stuck and the updating of the firmware gets stuck and this is why you get a bricked ps3. So it seems sony didnt tell the hackers the changes and the hackers just though they could do what they been doing. So in this case its the hackers causing the ps3 to be bricked with their faulty software. If you the customer of free will desides to try and install software that is not offered by sony, you take full responsability for what ever happens to your ps3. So if you install a nonofficial program then your taking full responsablity on what ever happens. So if your ps3 gets bricked, well then its your fault.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 2128 of 2,398 (10 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Jan 29, 2011

watsuke wrote:

The car in some way broke down and needed to be fix, but are being charged more to fix them if not at the car manufactures dealership repair. The car is probably undrivable until it gets repaired, forcing the customer to get it fixed.

The PS3 didnt break and you arent forced to update, Sony isnt charging more for independent repair services (They are cheaper actually), and if you dont update you can still use the PS3 to its fullest, you just cant use any of Sonys services. You dont own the PSN, you have no right to the PSN, you are not entitled to the PSN, its Sonys service and if you dont follow their rules you dont get in.

every Update is forced. ok let me ask you this question.

if you do not update what happens.. you Banned from the PSn Untill you updated..So Yes this is a forced update.

You can play around with the words all you want. but it is a form of black mail.

How would you fell if I was a car manufature I came said son, time to update your car. If you don't update your car..I won't give you the new code to roll up the windows

waht would you do to me? and be ohenst and don't beat around the buch...and don't mence your words..how would you feel?

Oh you left out that you can't play newest blue ray games or Movies unless you update...I got ya on that one.. so that is not using it to its fullest is it?

SCEA’s decision to implement Update 3.21 placed Plaintiffs and Class members in a “Hobson’s Choice.” PS3 owners who chose not to install Update 3.21 could no longer access
many of the other important PS3 features including the PSN, the ability to play games online, the ability to access online features, or the ability to play newer PS3 games and/or Blu-ray discs that required Update 3.21. On the other hand, PS3 owners who did install Update 3.21 lost all access to the computer functionality of the PS3’s “Other OS” feature.
Message 2129 of 2,398 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4176 posts

Jan 29, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

every Update is forced. ok let me ask you this question.

if you do not update what happens.. you Banned from the PSn Untill you updated..So Yes this is a forced update.

no.  you have the choice to update with every update.  you are required to update to access PSN, but you are not forced to update in order to use your PS3.

and by not updating, you are not banned from PSN.  don't be silly.

Message 2130 of 2,398 (10 Views)