Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Apr 23 2010
By: limatime420 First Son 1 posts
Offline

Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

14 replies 12 views Edited Apr 23, 2010

First let me apologize for making another thread on this topic. Please ignore if you are not interested in this topic.

 

I bought my PS3, like most, for a gaming console. The additional features of PS2 hardware compatibility and Linux are what sold me over the Xbox. Linux was a bit crippled due to the PPC architecture and limited RAM, but I found it to serve as a much better multimedia solution than the XMB. It gave the end user more freedom without the need to hack. Then one small vulnerability (that will likely not lead to anything) is discovered, and you take away a feature.

 

I don't want the PS3 to be hacked. I have observed what hacking and piracy have done to the quality of PSP games and I do not want that to happen for my expensive console. I understand that Sony had reasons and evaluated the risks of removing a feature, and I respect their decision. I was pretty pissed when I found out, but I'm not going to cry about it.

 

I am calling on Sony to make this right, for their own good and for the end user. I have a couple of suggestions.

1.) Patch vulnerabilities and reintroduce otherOS to fat consoles or...

2.) Better yet, allow a sandbox environment for user made applications, and sell them on PSN. (like Apple's AppStore)

 

I realize these ideas most likely will fall on deaf ears, but they would add(or restore) functionality and help Sony save face. I will update and continue to buy games, but if Sony continues to tread on its customers, you will find yourself less one customer. If anyone has any constructive input, please reply. Thank you for reading.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (12 Views)
Splicer
Registered: 05/29/2007
Offline
47 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 23, 2010

Apple was quite smart on releasing an affordable SDK for their iPods and iPhones, when I had my touch I removed the jailbreak because there really wasn't a need for it anymore, at least for me, all the apps I liked were on the store  Wonder if Sony will ever get the picture and start doing something similar.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 10/18/2006
Offline
2798 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 23, 2010

 


limatime420 wrote:

First let me apologize for making another thread on this topic. Please ignore if you are not interested in this topic.

 

I bought my PS3, like most, for a gaming console. The additional features of PS2 hardware compatibility and Linux are what sold me over the Xbox. Linux was a bit crippled due to the PPC architecture and limited RAM, but I found it to serve as a much better multimedia solution than the XMB. It gave the end user more freedom without the need to hack. Then one small vulnerability (that will likely not lead to anything) is discovered, and you take away a feature.

 

I don't want the PS3 to be hacked. I have observed what hacking and piracy have done to the quality of PSP games and I do not want that to happen for my expensive console. I understand that Sony had reasons and evaluated the risks of removing a feature, and I respect their decision. I was pretty pissed when I found out, but I'm not going to cry about it.

 

I am calling on Sony to make this right, for their own good and for the end user. I have a couple of suggestions.

1.) Patch vulnerabilities and reintroduce otherOS to fat consoles or...

2.) Better yet, allow a sandbox environment for user made applications, and sell them on PSN. (like Apple's AppStore)

 

I realize these ideas most likely will fall on deaf ears, but they would add(or restore) functionality and help Sony save face. I will update and continue to buy games, but if Sony continues to tread on its customers, you will find yourself less one customer. If anyone has any constructive input, please reply. Thank you for reading.


 

 

For once since the whole FW 3.21 and removal of Other OS fiasco has happened, I will finally comment on it. I can completely understand why many were angry about it. I saw posts stating that some would use Linux on the PS3s not only for personal use, but for school studies. That's when I found just how much it was going to affect people who were using the 3.15 FW, not only that but if they chose not to update, they wouldn't be able to play newer games, use PSN, or go online. It is also when I realized that my previous statement of saying that it didn't bother me about Other OS being taken away was a very shallow one. Because I didn't fully understand just how harmful it would it be to those who were (and still are) using LInux for legit purposes.

 

I had said that it didn't bother me because I didn't know what it was for and had no intention of using it. Once I found out that Other OS was being removed by upgrading to FW 3.21, I was rattled by Sony's move to do such. My choice was either stick to FW 3.15 and keep a feature I had no intention of using, or update to FW 3.21 knowing that I play games online and use PSN. The chioce I made was to upgrade to 3.21 and I did. I most recently ugraded to FW 3.30 this morning, knowing it was mandatory and this time I had no choice.

 

This doesn't mean I will stop supporting Sony because of what has been done. It was an immoral move by them, whether it was illegal to do such is for the courts to decide. That's not for me to say and I refuse to choose sides on the issue. Every company makes drastic mistakes at times and this time it was Sony's turn to stir up the Kool-Aid. Just look at what happened with McAfee on Wednesday when their security program tried to do automatic updates and went buggy. It caused major problems with computers worldwide, shutting down networks at  colleges, universities, and businesses. Like you said though, if Sony continues this trend of sqaushing its loyal customer base, I'll have no choice but to look elsewhere.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (12 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 03/29/2005
Offline
2566 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 24, 2010

Fenrir2606 wrote:

Apple was quite smart on releasing an affordable SDK for their iPods and iPhones, when I had my touch I removed the jailbreak because there really wasn't a need for it anymore, at least for me, all the apps I liked were on the store  Wonder if Sony will ever get the picture and start doing something similar.


What like Apple?  They recently announced that they won't be accepting apps that weren't made using thier SDK.  Not to mention the fact that Itunes only works with apple devices.  How is that any different than what Sony does?  Apple is far from sainthood.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 09/02/2009
Offline
541 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 24, 2010

 


Twosted wrote:
What like Apple?  They recently announced that they won't be accepting apps that weren't made using thier SDK.  Not to mention the fact that Itunes only works with apple devices.  How is that any different than what Sony does?  Apple is far from sainthood.

 

Very true. Like making people sign NDA's in order to get a refund when your iPod explodes.

 

 

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article6736587.ece

 

Most  companies are slimy.

 

The closest I get to being a fanboy is with Amazon and Netflix, but they have both done crappy things, like Amazon deleting 1984 off from Kindles and Netflix lying about throttling.

 

Companies are in the business to make money, not to be your friend.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 05/29/2007
Offline
47 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 24, 2010

 


Twosted wrote:

Fenrir2606 wrote:

Apple was quite smart on releasing an affordable SDK for their iPods and iPhones, when I had my touch I removed the jailbreak because there really wasn't a need for it anymore, at least for me, all the apps I liked were on the store  Wonder if Sony will ever get the picture and start doing something similar.


What like Apple?  They recently announced that they won't be accepting apps that weren't made using thier SDK.  Not to mention the fact that Itunes only works with apple devices.  How is that any different than what Sony does?  Apple is far from sainthood.


 

Are you saying that you want to use iPhone designed apps on something other than an iPhone? Do you really think that Sony would release apps for the PS3/PSP that would be compatible with other devices? Sony doesn't have to emulate Apple to the core (!!) And I no where said Apple were saints (I have major issues with their services) But Apple did do a few things right, or at least had the right idea, system deactivations for one from itunes instead of the hardware, and the app store. You may not agree that Apple has done everything right but they had the right idea. If we want apps and other features why not adopt a system like Apple has? Can almost guarantee you Sony isn't going to allow legit remote play to non Sony products, after all they like Apple are still in it for money and to control the flow of their product.

 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (12 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 04/24/2005
Offline
372 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 24, 2010

One thing I'd like to say in defense of apple, if you only look at there computers there a great company, it's all their iStuff that they make stupid policies with and trash their rep because, I would never sugest ANYONE buy an iProduct (except the iMac, but thats obviously not the same).

 

That being said, their computers are great.

 

Sent fron Android.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/21/2005
Offline
423 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 24, 2010

A lot of the original ps3 linux users eventually stopped using it because of the lack of PPC apps and the locked RSX

 

But over the years, it got better and better as the kernel was adapted specifically to the Cell as opposed to PPC, and many popular apps were compiled and set in the repo's. I use Ubuntu not YDL, there's plenty for ps3 with Ubuntu, I guess YDL would be similar.

 

Among the many clever tricks that were thoughten up:

 

) using a Cell SPE to substitute for GPU color conversion to make video look ok

) breaking the 212mb RAM bottleneck by using the gddram as swap. This is a very new development, and makes ps3 linux way faster - or it would have.

) using the controller as a mouse.

) I used record-my-desktop to capture video of my pc games, accessing them via remote-desktop on my ps3. The Cell captures video FAST.

) fixstars (YDL) modded many apps to use all 6 spu's as well as the ppu's. Like OpenCV, which I've never used, but am gonna check out as soon as I update to Karmic.

) Some of the YDL guys ported Quake2 to the Cell, maintaining Quake2's status as one of the most-ported games of all time, second to Tetris probably. Not all that many games work well, but Quake 2 works great

 

I would say between everyone who hacked on OtherOS over the years, probably tens of thousands of man-hours, maybe hundreds of thousands, were spent getting linux running well on ps3, and just like that, it's all gone.

 

Whether Sony should have dealt with it by patching the vulnerability instead of removing OtherOS is really a moot point in two ways. First, there's nothing they can do, no matter what; the HV has been dumped, the people who dump HV's will not bother to use current firmware, and if they succeed, they can make CF that is installable whether the OtherOS flaw is there or not, even if OtherOS isn't there at all. Second, probably more important, is that Sony is lying about the security thing, they dropped OtherOS to save money and to raise demand for newer, pricier Cell products. The ps3 has never benefitted from high security, and Sony knows it. The developers know it too. If security was so great, why do the publishers still like the xbox better? Historically, the less-secure platforms have regularly trounced the more secure. The OtherOS exploit was just a convenient excuse to take from the fat what they'd already dropped from the slim. I wouldn't be surprised if it leaked out that Sony intentionally fed the OtherOS exploit to Geohot in the first place, just so they'd have an excuse to drop OtherOS and a more popular console to boot.

 

 

 

 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (12 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 03/29/2007
Offline
2437 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 24, 2010

simple development kit and apps written by users would be rally cool!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 01/11/2010
Offline
432 posts
 

Re: Long Time Customer's Thoughts About Linux and Future Firmware

Apr 24, 2010

Never this is Sony pushing their proprietary ways like Apple.

FieryCaptain
Coincidentally "coincidence" is the word used by people who choose to ignore subsequent events or variables that seem to follow a specific path. Amazing isn't it?
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (12 Views)
Reply
0 Likes