Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Dec 21 2012
By: IRON_RANGER_302 First Son 2 posts
Offline
Accepted Solution

Massive static shock, now things are haywire

3 replies 209 views Edited Dec 21, 2012
I was charging my ps3 controller and watching Netflix, then when I went to unplug the cord from the controller, I felt a massive static shock and then Netflix went crazy(loading and unloading the show I was watching), and none of my circle-square buttons work.

I can't shut off the ps3 with my controller. I hit the PS button to get the menu to shut it down, and it stops there, not even the left arrow controls work.

What the heck happened? All I could come up with was since this USB cable is just a cheapy, that it wasn't very insulated which caused a static shock to wreak the controller.

Is it wrecked, or do I have bigger problems? I unfortunately don't have another controller here to test if its the controller.
Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (209 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/21/2012
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Massive static shock, now things are haywire

Dec 21, 2012
Also, what are the chances of static shock traveling down the USB and frying the system?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (200 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 11/18/2012
Offline
17 posts
 

Re: Massive static shock, now things are haywire

Dec 21, 2012

try and boot up the ps3 and try using a USB keyboard and check if you are able to navigate if so you may need to try and remove the controller back and unplug and replug in the battery after it sits for lets say a minute and see if it will resync automatically without the usb cord and see if it navigates properly if it doesnt then it is the controller and the usb keyboard  navigates fine then you need a new controller

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (192 Views)
Splicer
Registered: 09/26/2007
Offline
80 posts
 

Re: Massive static shock, now things are haywire

Dec 21, 2012

New controller... or old controller?  Did everyone who ever handled the controller take care not to spill anything on on it?  

 

I ask this because the USB cords are, by design, shielded and grounded, so even if you did feel some static shock, your equipment should be ok.

 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (186 Views)
Reply
0 Likes