Apr 04 2009
By: EliteTrooper Keyblade Wielder 10979 posts

My PS3 freezes at 99% through the update

8 replies 14430 views Edited Apr 4, 2009

Last night I started the update and walked away.  When I came back, my PS3 was on, but the TV screen was completely black as if it had only just been turned on.  I restarted my PS3 and it keeps re-doing the update but now when it gets to 99%, it just freezes and won't continue any farther.  Does anyone know what the hell to do?

Message 1 of 9 (14,430 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
668 posts

Re: My PS3 freezes at 99% through the update

Apr 4, 2009

Download the update from here onto a storage device:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3/pc_update.html

Plug the storage device into the PS3 and go to update, then select "update from storage device."

Viuola!

Photobucket
Message 2 of 9 (14,430 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Apr 4, 2009
Also if you can't get into the regular system menu to apply the update b/c your update wasn't finished you should plug in the USB drive with the update power on the system using the consoles power button NOT the contoller. Hold the power button down on the console until you hear 3 beeps, then release it. It should bring you into the console's recovery system where you can update via the internet or USB drive without needed the main system firmware to do so in case it was corrupted or something. Hope it helps

-gygabyte666
Message 3 of 9 (14,430 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
668 posts

Apr 4, 2009

gygabyte666 wrote:
Also if you can't get into the regular system menu to apply the update b/c your update wasn't finished you should plug in the USB drive with the update power on the system using the consoles power button NOT the contoller. Hold the power button down on the console until you hear 3 beeps, then release it. It should bring you into the console's recovery system where you can update via the internet or USB drive without needed the main system firmware to do so in case it was corrupted or something. Hope it helps

thank gygabyte666 for that tidbit... I forgot about that, and only use it if your XMB isn't showing up... Pretty much hold the button until you hear 3 beeps like he said...
Photobucket
Message 4 of 9 (14,430 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Apr 4, 2009

JabbaB wrote:

gygabyte666 wrote:

No prob, it just suddenly popped into my memory. I appreciate the thanks, hope it helps though. you got two great replies so it should be fixed afterwards ^_^

thank gygabyte666 for that tidbit... I forgot about that, and only use it if your XMB isn't showing up... Pretty much hold the button until you hear 3 beeps like he said...

-gygabyte666
Message 5 of 9 (14,430 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
10979 posts

Apr 4, 2009
Okay, can you give me an order of what to do?  I held down the button multiple times.  Once at the beginnning, in the middle of it installing for the millionth time, and after it installed.  I believe what you're telling me works, but can you please give me specific directions and in what order?
Message 6 of 9 (14,430 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Oct 12, 2010

hi

u know what i almost have a heart attack a couples hours ago coz my ps3 had the same problem i tried everything but it freezed

so when i unplugged the HD cable and turn it on  letting it run without the HD cable or an screen cable plugged in it completed the installation and ever thing went fine

dont ask me how or y coz i dont know just luck i guess

Message 7 of 9 (14,430 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 13, 2012
Hey mate exact same has happened to me? not really happy to be honest.

Do I need to buy a new PS3 or is this problem fixable?
Message 8 of 9 (13,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Sep 13, 2012
All these posts tell me not to upgrade. Plus we are forced to or we can't get online.
Message 9 of 9 (13,939 Views)
0 Likes