Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 19 2012
By: jeryst First Son 1 posts

Need help with HDMI issue

4 replies 101 views Edited Nov 19, 2012

I replaced my older PS3 with a slim 160GB model. The system works with the regular AVI cable, but I cant get it to do anything with the HDMI cable that I am using from the old system.

The HDMI cable goes from the PS3 directly to Input 7 on my TV (The way I had the old system set up). When I turn on the PS3, I get a couple of flashes on the screen, then nothing.

Just to try something different, I pluged the regular AVI cable into the PS3 and connected it to Input 3. When I switch to input 3, there is a screen that says "HDMI output device detected. Would you like to switch to HDMI output". I select "Yes", and the picture goes away, but when I switch to input 7, there is nothing there.

I do notice that the screen on input 7 is not completely black, because if I turn the PS3 off, it gets darker. Some type of signal is going to input 7 because the screen is a little lighter, but nothin gelse shows up.

If I just use the AVI cable on input 3, everything works fine.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (101 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28435 posts

Re: Need help with HDMI issue

Nov 19, 2012

jeryst wrote:

I replaced my older PS3 with a slim 160GB model. The system works with the regular AVI cable, but I cant get it to do anything with the HDMI cable that I am using from the old system.

The HDMI cable goes from the PS3 directly to Input 7 on my TV (The way I had the old system set up). When I turn on the PS3, I get a couple of flashes on the screen, then nothing.

Just to try something different, I pluged the regular AVI cable into the PS3 and connected it to Input 3. When I switch to input 3, there is a screen that says "HDMI output device detected. Would you like to switch to HDMI output". I select "Yes", and the picture goes away, but when I switch to input 7, there is nothing there.

I do notice that the screen on input 7 is not completely black, because if I turn the PS3 off, it gets darker. Some type of signal is going to input 7 because the screen is a little lighter, but nothin gelse shows up.

If I just use the AVI cable on input 3, everything works fine.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Have you tried resetting your PS3's video/audio settings?

If not try the following:

1. Have the PS3 in the standby mode (red light).

2. Have the TV on the usual channel you use for gaming.

3. Hold down the power/on/off button until you hear two (2) beeps.

4. A message should apear on your TV screen.

5. Accept the settings by hitting "X".

If the above doesn't work come back & we'll try to help further, if the above does help please also let us know.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (97 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Mar 8, 2013

I have just had this happen I was just using the hdmi when cut it of yesterday get up and turn my ps3 on and screen is black. It was work great no problems and mighty funny how the warranty just went out and I wasn't able to get the extended warranty.and yes Ive reset everything trying to get to work.sony the knowledge center doesn't say anything about what to due if it picks up the hdmi but you can't see anything

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Mar 8, 2013

if the video reset dont do the trick then try another hdmi cord just to be sure.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Mar 8, 2013

another thing people should realize is those cheap 5 dollar hdmi cords you see on amazon or wherever..STAY AWAY..if there is a problem and happens with those cheapos and a couple certain wires short together then it will fry the output in the ps3 to where the only thing that will work is the sd cable that came with it  and could also destroy the input on the tv and if the 2 wrong wires unlikely but has happened get crossed it can actually catch fire..not saying you need a 100 dollar monster cable but stay away from those unknowns..

heres a few pics of what them cheap 3 dollar cables can do..

PIMG0133.JPGps3-burnt.jpg

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (44 Views)
0 Likes