Apr 07 2010
By: erexx First Son 17 posts

Not updating to firmware 3.21 - Playstation 3 Blackout

36 replies 3 views Edited Apr 7, 2010

This playstation is offline.
Goodbye Sony
Open Platform for the PLAYSTATION®3 system

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/index.html

The Open Platform feature is not available on -ANY- of the PS3™ systems.

Overview of the Open Platform for the PLAYSTATION®3 system

There is more to the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system than you may have assumed. In addition to playing games, watching movies, listening to music, and viewing photos, you can use the PS3™ system to run the Linux operating system.

By installing the Linux operating system, you can use the PS3™ system not only as an entry-level personal computer with hundreds of familiar applications for home and office use, but also as a complete development environment for the Cell Broadband Engine™ (Cell/B.E.).

There are many flavors of Linux available, which are developed, managed, and distributed by the respective companies and development communities.

As Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) does not develop or directly support a version of Linux for the PS3™ system, SCE is pleased to provide links for the following Linux distributions that support the PS3™ system:

# Yellow Dog Linux
# OpenSUSE
# Fedora
# Ubuntu

The respective websites provide instructions for downloading or purchasing the Linux operating system, as well as information about installation and post-installation configuration.

Installation of the Linux operating system requires that the PS3™ system's internal hard disk be formatted. Important data should be backed up before proceeding with the installation. Even after the hard disk is formatted, the system software of the PS3™ system will not be deleted, and system features such as starting games will remain available after formatting the disk. (Note, however, that data that is saved on the hard disk will be deleted.)

Note that SCE does not provide any support for the installation and the use of Linux operating systems on a PS3™ system. For technical support, you must contact the Linux distributor or community that provided your Linux operating system.

To use the Linux operating system, you must update the PS3™ system software to version 1.60 or later.

Message 1 of 37 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Re: Not updating to firmware 3.21 - Playstation 3 Blackout

Apr 7, 2010

i dont understand this at all. the ps3 running linux can barely run a browser let alone actual programs. if everyone is so keen to play with linux why not just get a cheap pc. the cheapest used pc you could find would run linux 100 times better than a ps3.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 37 (3 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5985 posts

Apr 7, 2010

Chingkwee wrote:

i dont understand this at all. the ps3 running linux can barely run a browser let alone actual programs. if everyone is so keen to play with linux why not just get a cheap pc. the cheapest used pc you could find would run linux 100 times better than a ps3.

If configured correctly, Linux performance runs at acceptable level.

Fedora Core 11 (choosing lighter resource desktop gui ) Runs snappy, Install Opera gives me a fast browser

Can use remote desktop to control windows machines remotely

Real Media browser w/ wider formats supported.

Other people have uses it to run emulation for older console's (nes, snes, etc)

Full blown office suit that can save in Microsoft 2007 formats. 

Games PS1 (100+), PS2 (140+), PS3 (100+), PSP (34+)
My PS3 Website - http://sites.google.com/site/etempestps3/
Message 3 of 37 (3 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Apr 7, 2010

sure, but any pc thats 10 years old or less will do that alot better than a ps3 is my point. people act like they can never use linux again because they cant do it with their ps3.

like the OP, saying he wont update his ps3, therefore losing the ability to play online or play any new games, just to keep linux on his system. it doesnt make sense to me. just buy an old pc. isnt the main reason you buy a ps3 to play games?

Photobucket
Message 4 of 37 (3 Views)
Survivor
2726 posts

Apr 7, 2010

Chingkwee wrote:

You're speaking on deaf ears even though you're right. Everyone's concerned because apparently there was a lot of basement dwellers that studied the cell using linux for use in college. Couldn't they have just actually went to college? Other than studying the cell though you are right I could pretty much dig up a bunch of old computer parts like a pentium 3 and build a computer and put linux on it and it would outdo the PS3's linux provided it had 256mb of RAM.

Message 5 of 37 (3 Views)
Survivor
2726 posts

Apr 7, 2010

etempest wrote:

Chingkwee wrote:

If configured correctly, Linux performance runs at acceptable level.

Fedora Core 11 (choosing lighter resource desktop gui ) Runs snappy, Install Opera gives me a fast browser

Can use remote desktop to control windows machines remotely

Real Media browser w/ wider formats supported.

Other people have uses it to run emulation for older console's (nes, snes, etc)

Full blown office suit that can save in Microsoft 2007 formats. 

A Nintendo DS can do all that LOL. Well minus Openoffice (That I know of) but Openoffice works on pretty much anything so just go to Openoffice.org and download it for what you need it on.

Message 6 of 37 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
883 posts

Apr 7, 2010

i dont understand: why are you posting this AFTER your decision to say good bye? why do ghosts haunt a forum they are technically unaffiliated with? 

anyways, you posted this on the wrong board. your thread is update related, not PS3 General. 

Message 7 of 37 (3 Views)
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Apr 7, 2010

it generally affects all ps3 users though. What about the guy who can only afford the $400 for a ps3 and not the $600 for an el cheapo computer? Does he not deserve to watch ALL his media? Or have a proper web browser? And the cell is amazing at what it does and some univirsities have "chained" together 10 units. This does the same as a $25,000.00 supercomputer that now what happens if one goes poof? They go get a new one yes, but they may not be able to run all the right stuff anymore. Geohot already reopened it and is making linux available even for slim users, sony brought that upon themselves for this update. Geohot stated he would leave well enough alone so long as sony only plugged the dam and didn't just drian the lake behind it.

This is my sig
Message 8 of 37 (3 Views)
Wastelander
883 posts

Apr 7, 2010

to begin, a DECENT pc is 300$+, but can be found even for 250$.. use the net, and see for yourself.. and no, if you paid 400$ on a ps3, you just bought the slim as of recent, and you NEVER had linux. the complaint "i spent 500-600$ on my fat ps3" is actually the common one. and no, even when they HAD linux, it was not amazing in anyway shape or form.

the universities will NOT be updating their ps3's, neither will the government..and i dont think they will mind not being able to log onto psn because of it.

as for geohot, he is a hacker, and he is committing crimes. how he is allowed to get away with it so far while people get in trouble over things like downloading a movie is beyond me, but i do hope they finally decide to make an example of the kid one day, he needs it. he doesnt get to give ultimatums regarding his illegal activity to the company trying to prevent it. that would be like Sony saying they will continue to use rootkits on CD's till there is no more MP3 piracy. nobody will bend to that. Sony should just sue him and use that money to pay restitution to the people who legitimately used the feature.

Message 9 of 37 (3 Views)
Gaming Beast
2464 posts

Apr 7, 2010

Chingkwee wrote:

I Agree

Message 10 of 37 (3 Views)
0 Likes