Wastelander
883 posts

Re: Not updating to firmware 3.21 - Playstation 3 Blackout

Apr 10, 2010

coffeerox wrote:

artchemist wrote:

how? its a computer, and its not produced by microsoft, so why would it be stuck on windows? 

drivers may not be supported on Linux that's why.  The OS will run and you'll get basic operational capability but beyond that you gotta hope for Linux support for your other stuff

The only company i can find that eliminates linux support is SeaGate. and they cannot prevent a programmer from writting a linux driver. anyone can do, even you or i.

Linux is a series of open source freeware operating systems running off the Linux Kernel. new drivers are written all the time, and any one of demand is more then likely to be developed. it will not become obsolete on PC's, where it started from to begin with. as long as there is a user who has a need, who wants something other then Windows, Linux will continue to have various distributions working at several levels of quality. its more impossible to stop a freeware OS from being developed on PC, then it is to prevent further hacking of PS3.

also, Windows updates do not support all drivers as well. windows XP technology, such as an mp3 player, has been displayed as an unusable USB camera according to Vista.  does it happen with all technology? no, just the forgotten ones.

new technology will have drivers written as long as there is someone there to write them.

Message 31 of 37 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
246 posts

Apr 10, 2010

I'd just like to point out one thing here.

I could be considered one of those guys that didn't register too long ago and obviously have a low post count.

BUT I have a launch 60 gig. To me at least, this would indicate that Ive been very happy with my playstation since day one. I don't feel the need to complain about every update. So why should my concerns be any less justified than somebody with a massive post count , when  that only proves that they have something to say about everything?

So the guy that needs to complain, comment or just state his opinion on every topic, is more credible than the guy who only feels the need to interject when its something he feels strongly about?

Isn't that just a little backward?

Im not saying that there aren't some would be pirates etc out there. But honestly I think they would be the ones less vocal about this since they know this will only add fuel to the hacking community resulting in them getting what they "really want" much quicker.

Personally I've never even had an interest in piracy on the ps3. I have a decent collection of games that I've paid full price for, some collectors additions that Ive paid probably too much for. Just because I support the particular franchise or company that released the game.

I just happen to feel that this move was pointless and only punishes their loyal customers, since the ones that would hack their ps3s will just use other means to get what they want anyway.

Ive said before, I understand some people dont care about this. In the grand scheme of things maybe the OS itself isn't a world ending thing. But it still remains a rotten thing to do to honest PS3 owners.

Im just surprised that they have actually blocked us from the store too. Whats the point in not letting me buy stuff from them? Im sure thats not a security risk. Just separate the store from the rest of the PSN.

Message 32 of 37 (5 Views)
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Apr 10, 2010

For Sony, it seems, everything is a potential security risk... who knows what will they take away next because of a "security risk"?... They already said once they wouldn't take a feature from us, and still took it away, there's simply no way to trust sony any more.

Tired of $ony crippling your system?
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
http://www.bbb.org/us/

" We have received your complaint.
Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide. "
Message 33 of 37 (5 Views)
Wastelander
883 posts

Apr 10, 2010

Hipocrat wrote:

I'd just like to point out one thing here.

I could be considered one of those guys that didn't register too long ago and obviously have a low post count.

BUT I have a launch 60 gig. To me at least, this would indicate that Ive been very happy with my playstation since day one. I don't feel the need to complain about every update. So why should my concerns be any less justified than somebody with a massive post count , when  that only proves that they have something to say about everything?

So the guy that needs to complain, comment or just state his opinion on every topic, is more credible than the guy who only feels the need to interject when its something he feels strongly about?

Isn't that just a little backward?

Im not saying that there aren't some would be pirates etc out there. But honestly I think they would be the ones less vocal about this since they know this will only add fuel to the hacking community resulting in them getting what they "really want" much quicker.

Personally I've never even had an interest in piracy on the ps3. I have a decent collection of games that I've paid full price for, some collectors additions that Ive paid probably too much for. Just because I support the particular franchise or company that released the game.

I just happen to feel that this move was pointless and only punishes their loyal customers, since the ones that would hack their ps3s will just use other means to get what they want anyway.

Ive said before, I understand some people dont care about this. In the grand scheme of things maybe the OS itself isn't a world ending thing. But it still remains a rotten thing to do to honest PS3 owners.

Im just surprised that they have actually blocked us from the store too. Whats the point in not letting me buy stuff from them? Im sure thats not a security risk. Just separate the store from the rest of the PSN.

who attacked credibility over the amount of time here? post count in no way lessens your opinion opposed to a higher poster. post count MAY entail that the poster has not been around long enough to know about prior threads that all regard the information, but doesnt make the poster less right/wrong.  i think regardless of post count, you as an individual poster seem quite respectful in your adressing of other posters, which is more then i can say for some posters who have like 10 000 posts.

and though 3.21 has little to no effect on the hacking community, i think it will just take time for sony to figure that out. there is no evidence that sony will never return the feature after learning of the futility of it. but as a quick response act, what else would you suggest as a way to stop it?as Geohot states,his hack DOES in fact enable the ability to pirate on the ps3, but any further development of that portion of the hack he will have nothing to do with. so, though many of us users would be good about it, i know many who would simply buy a ps3 off the unadvertised new does everything feature: piracy. so, though i dont think that the removal is a great option, i think its hard to judge a brash action that you use as a defense. but i dont think with this much outrage, that sony will feel able to keep this feature removed as a whole, especially when it gets hacked around.

as well, i think the store is sad too. but if they blocked off the entire psn, it makes sense you cant used the store. the store is tied to your wallet. if they just made games inoperable online, it would be a financially smarter choice, but for some reason, some moron decided an entire PSN loss would be a smarter idea.

keep in mind, my reply does not mean i do not respect your opinion, or that i am just fanboying it up. this is just my opinion of what i see.

Message 34 of 37 (5 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
246 posts

Apr 10, 2010

coffeerox wrote:

artchemist wrote:

how? its a computer, and its not produced by microsoft, so why would it be stuck on windows? 

drivers may not be supported on Linux that's why.  The OS will run and you'll get basic operational capability but beyond that you gotta hope for Linux support for your other stuff

@CaptainAlbator - 100% agreed.  Also I made the point in another thread that people have alternate or hidden agenda so it's not just the whiners/complainers but we also have the stealth pirates, Sony/PS3 haters (notice how their post counts are extremely low and registered not too long after the firmware change) and then we have people who argue over the principle of removing the feature.  People who actually have Linux and are here arguing for it are very very few, I've seen maybe 1 so far.

This whole issue is just blown out of proporation than it needs to be, imo.

The part in blue does mention registering after the firmware change, but still. Lots of people don't register on forums, until there is something to be said. I actually registered a little before the update. but it was only to suggest a fix to someone regarding a problem they were having.
Some people read forums but don't register unless they feel the need arise.

I just don't think post count is relevant in judging a statements merit.

This update is going to be one of those debates that can not be won. Simply because this is not a case purely of facts , but of points of view as well.

I have no issue at all with an opinion that disagrees with mine.
I even understand people standing up for Sony or any company If they feel they are in the right. I cant expect the freedom to voice my dissapointment with something, if I dont allow for soemone else to voice there opinion on the matter. So no worries there.

I just hate when people run out of legitimate things to say in a debate and then turn to trying to discredit a person rather than their point.

Debates are a very useful tool when carried out with respect. I have been turned around on many subjects, and come out better for it in the end. Some things can and will be debated to the end of time with out resolution though

This could turn into one of them lol

Message 35 of 37 (5 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Apr 11, 2010

artchemist wrote:

EdrickV wrote:

BPatches701 wrote:
Cheap computers are only $200 new dude this isn't 1998 anymore.

Cheap computers don't have the Cell processor and can't play PS3 games. And it may also not have hardware with Linux support. (The newer the system is, the less likely it's hardware will have Linux support.)

Since Linux drivers often have to be created by Linux users through reverse-engineering the Windows drivers, there is often a lag between when hardware gets released and when it is actually usable under Linux. (The first time I started thinking about trying Linux, many years ago, I gave up when I found out that my IBM MWave sound card/modem would not be usable.)

Right now the wireless network adapter I used on my laptop under both Linux and Windows is dead and I'll have to replace it, and most of the cards I've looked at I couldn't find any Linux support info. My old card was only supported because someone found a way to use the Windows driver from within Linux. PS3 Linux (YDL specifically) on the other hand comes with drivers specifically designed for the PS3's hardware. (Though, as has been mentioned many times before, the graphics driver isn't that good.)

FYI, Nvidia is one of the few companies I know of that actually provide official Linux drivers for their hardware. (ATI might too, I don't know.)

SCEA's Better Business Bureau Rating: F
G.A.P. Member
Beta Tested: Battlefield: Modern Combat, Little Big Planet, Home (Closed Beta)
Message 36 of 37 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Apr 11, 2010

I found this extremely funny, but I got a message from a moderator, telling me that it's illegal to boycott sony in the forums lol

Who knows, they might end up censoring the FTC and BBB on these forums too lol

@EdrickV

Yep, ATi has full official support for Linux too, but on my own personal experience, the official drivers are as **bleep**ty as nVidia's

Tired of $ony crippling your system?
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
http://www.bbb.org/us/

" We have received your complaint.
Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide. "
Message 37 of 37 (5 Views)
0 Likes