Feb 11 2013
By: luvmuhmustang First Son 8 posts

PS3 Game Updates time out...

18 replies 636 views Edited Feb 11, 2013

Last friday (the 8th) I bought a couple games and put them in.  Naturally it wanted to patch them.  The patch files were 10mb for one and 67mb for teh other, but the ETA kept increasing 200, 300, 400 minutes and eventually would bomb out.  So I signed up for PSN+ and backed up my saves to the cloud and wiped and reloaded the PS3 (Fat model - 4.31 firmware) to factory defaults and tried agian.  Same thing.  So then I went to my router (WNDR3700) confirmed it was the latest firmware - which it was, and did a factory defaults wipe of it.  I tried the patches again - same problem.  I tried wired and wireless... I tried adding googles DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) no different.  I went to the PSN store and downloaded a demo - downloaded and worked fine.

I finally worked around it by turning my iPhone 5's tethering on and connected the PS3 to the iPhone's tethered WiFi and was able to download the patch just fine, and was able to play the games online w/o major issue (after a several matches of CODBO2, i would eventually lag out and have to drop the match). 

The kicker is that I have Comcast Business Class - however I verified the ports from Comcast B.C. that are blocked and none of them seem to be PS3 ports (CBC's blocked ports: 68 UDP, 135-139 TCP/UDP, 445 TCP, 520 TCP/UDP, 1080 TCP), so I don't think that is the issue.  

As a side note - I was able to patch a xbox 360 game just fine.  

So my question is what's wrong?  I shouldn't have to hook up tethering to my cell phone every time I need to patch. 

Message 1 of 19 (636 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1699 posts

Re: PS3 Game Updates time out...

Feb 11, 2013

What is the version # of the router?

Message 2 of 19 (626 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 11, 2013
i think it's a v1, firmware 1.0.16.98
Message 3 of 19 (621 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1699 posts

Feb 11, 2013

Did you enable upnp? It will be on advanced page of router.

Disable QoS

Disable WMM

On wireless settings change the channel to 6 or 11 for 2.4ghz

For 5ghz channel set to 36

Under blocked sites select never.

Under blocked  services select never.

Make sure your time zone matches your area and daylight savings is selected if it applies to you.

Disable traffic meter.

Have you reset modem?

After you have saved above settings unplug the router and the modem wait 1 minute. Now plug in router wait for about 2 minutes.Now plug in modem.

Wich modem do you have?

Try again and please post back with results.

Message 4 of 19 (616 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 11, 2013

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  I have checked all those settings and changed where needed and tried to patch another game... same problem.  I know it used to work before, but haven't used teh system in several months (6+?).  I think i've used it with this router and everything...

Message 5 of 19 (603 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
895 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 12, 2013

I am having the same problem. I have talked to sony and my internet provider. I have power cycled my gateway, reset gateway through my ISP and manually. I have openned all ports, and turned off things like "whats new" and media server. I have done everything this forum and others have suggested with no luck. I feel there is a growing issue here. I found out by buying a new PS3 4-5 days ago and this problem started. If I would not have done this I would have not needed to update any game patches. Could this have to do with the possible PS4 announcement and some kind of server issue with them and game developers patching games or something? It is very frustrating. At least I know me you and a few other people are having this problem. Just outta curiosity are you using Comcast internet in IL.? I have comcast in IL.

Message 6 of 19 (594 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 12, 2013

Yes, I'm on Comcast Business Class in the NW Burbs of Chicago.  According to the network test in the ps3 I'm on a 21mbps line, and on speedtest.net I've got an avg of 17ms.  That's better than when I had Comcast's XFinity.  

Interesting that you are too... it leads me back to a Comcast thing - but i know 3 people at work all on comcast that are fine, and they live within 10miles of me.

I'm curious if I buy another router if that will resolve it.  I have a dedicated line coming in the house, an no tv where the modem/router is - so i can't really test pluging directly in to the modem...unless I run a REALLY long cable which would definately irk the wife.

*Update*

I bought a new Netgear Router - R6300, not that I have any AC devices, but will report back tonight or tomorrow with the results.  Reviews on it were tied for top router between this and the Asus AC router.  Course, if it doesn't resovle the issue, the router is going back.

Message 7 of 19 (578 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1699 posts

Feb 12, 2013

I would like to suggest that you get Dlink or Linksys

If you can find a Dlink Dir-825 grab it.

Any of the dlink or lynksys dual band ones are a great router.

Message 8 of 19 (566 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
895 posts

Feb 13, 2013

This is bizarre. I also have great connectivity. 21.0 down and 4-5 upload. And as I said it downloads from the store lightning fast. Also there is someone having the same problem who had his ISP do a packet trace and it showed a bottle neck as soon as the data hits the PS side servers. Well my 3 day long download of the Black Ops patch is almost done. Maybe it will work better after that. Cross your fingers.

Message 9 of 19 (561 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 13, 2013

An interesting new development - when I turned on my ps3 this evening - i got a message that said it had downloaded the Killzone 3 patch (since cod and deadspace 3 were done, i need another game that had a patch and KZ3 was the next one I tried).  so apparently when i try to download the patch it wouldn't work, but when it did it's PSN+ download it did?  **bleep** is that??  Now I'm trying Uncarted 3 as my next test game.. that one wont work either... 

ANyway - as I suspected the new router didn't make a difference.  

maybe tomorrow I will try to get a packet capture off the ps3 and see if I can see where it's slowing down.

Message 10 of 19 (558 Views)
0 Likes