May 09 2013
By: DeMolay145 Monster Hunter 30 posts

PS3 Slim 120gb Shutting Down 3 beeps Red Light Flashing Issue - Not overheating - Not with all games

[ Edited ]
9 replies 1476 views Edited May 9, 2013

I have the 1st model of the PS3 Slim 120gb, bought on Amazon in november 2009.

It was working 100% fine until last month when I was playing Assassins Creed III digital version.

After playing for some hours, the console shuts down by itself and the red light beeps 3 times and keeps flashing until I press it.

Then again it turns on normally.

The catch here is it doesn't happen to all games. I can play Dark Souls and Black Ops 2 for HOURS that it wont happen.

I tried the disc version of AC III but I still get the problem even with a few minutes of gameplay.

I Don't think its the HD because Black Ops 2 uses installed textures on it and there is the DLC too. Plus I tried the AC III on disk and happened the same. But I might be wrong..

I'm pretty sure its not overheating neither is YLOD. I've opened my ps3 slim and cleaned out all the dust I could find. There isn't any damaged cables either.

It also happened a few times while playing The Cave (rare) and happened once while trying to plat the Journey demo.

But AC III is nearly impossible to play now.

Any ideas? =(

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (1,476 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1614 posts

Re: PS3 Slim 120gb Shutting Down 3 beeps Red Light Flashing Issue - Not overheating - Not with all g

May 9, 2013

maybe corupt data for the game

start by deleteing the game data, if that doesnt work you might have to delete your save data

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (1,471 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Re: PS3 Slim 120gb Shutting Down 3 beeps Red Light Flashing Issue - Not overheating - Not with all g

May 9, 2013

it's probably time to change the thermal paste.

note: dont use conductive paste aka arctic silver :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (1,469 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

May 9, 2013
If this is true, shouldnt' the issue be happening with all games?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (1,463 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

May 13, 2013

Update: I can play Dark Souls and Black Ops 2 for hours and it wont happen.

I try to play AC III (digital or disc, tried both) and it happens after a short time of gameplay.

Maybe some games uses too much of the PS3?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (1,435 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

May 13, 2013

DeMolay145 wrote:

Update: I can play Dark Souls and Black Ops 2 for hours and it wont happen.

I try to play AC III (digital or disc, tried both) and it happens after a short time of gameplay.

Maybe some games uses too much of the PS3?

Yes, you are correct. Regardless of what may be posted here, I have found a solution that works for me based on information from an electronics expert. For all games which I have no problems with, I use tha HDMI interface. For games that crash for me exactly like what you are saying, I use the HD AV component cable. I have both hooked up to my PS3 at the same time and just make the switch in the XMB Video and Audio settings. It apparently has something to do with the fact that HDMI sends all data, video, and audio through one cable which can overload the 65nm processors causing the PS3 to exhibit YLOD symptoms. The HD AV component cable splits these signals into 5 different sections. You can get these cables for as low as $7 or up to $25 for the Sony cable(which is what I have). Works for me as I have a 60GB fat and may work for you. GL.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (1,427 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Nov 5, 2013
Hmm... glad to know... I'm having this with Metal Gear Rising now...

Do you know if I change the resolution, or/and audio quality, i can bypass this?
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (919 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 25, 2014
When I have same problem which my ps3 slim 250gb which I play assassin creed revelations it shutdown as soon as the is load did up and the ps3 shutdown and started to blink red light and all happened is some of my games after a long period of time
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (339 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Apr 25, 2014

My PS3 120GB slim would play for a bit, but now I turn it on and it's only a matter of seconds until it shuts off.  Then the power light blinks red, so all I can do is unplug and plug back in.

• I've opened, cleaned dust out
  • held power button to reset
  • changed cord from HDMI to AV component
  • tried 3 outlets
  • -     including 2 different surge protectors
  • moved ps3 to different area

I was going to try going to the menu and trying to restore file system or another option, but it's powering down too fast.

I've seen people (in other threads) mention mixed results with thermal paste.

One guy is adamant the blinking red light stems from a hard drive issue.

And I've seen others say it's the power supply unit.

If I can avoid paying the 100 to send to Sony, I would because I don't want to wait over a month.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

Apr 26, 2014

Turns out my problem was YLOD. Pretty sure of it. After a lot of HD changing and thermal paste cleaning, I figured it out. Had to buy a new PS3 system.

I thought slims couldnt get YLOD but I was wrong.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (311 Views)
0 Likes