Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 04 2012
By: linuxworks First Son 22 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 Slim bricked after 4.31 upgrade attempt

[ Edited ]
17 replies 4421 views Edited Nov 4, 2012

After upgrading to 4.31 and it got stuck at 99%, the slim is now bricked. Prior to the update, it worked flawlessly since purchased in 2010 time frame. 

Sony wont own up to the issue, they are saying that its my network that caused the problem since or my system.  They are saying I should not of canceled the update while it was stuck at 99% for two hours. 

STEPS PERFORMED:

1. Upgraded to 4.30 a week ago, no issues.

2. Upgrade attempt to 4.31, gets stuck at 99% for a few hours. Canceled since obviously it was stuck. 

3. Attempted to watch hulu, amazon, netflix, PSN content, lags and freezes.

4. Powered off unit to reboot.

5. Unit powers on stating the HDD is corrupted. It goes through the process of reformatting. Does this three times in a row on reboot cycles. 

6. After final format attempt, the PS3 no longer displays any signal to the screen. (The same cables works fine with Roku, Apple TV, Sony Blueray and Sony NS7 streaming Google TV). 

7. Went through the safe mode process by powering on and holding button down for two beep cycle, still no signal. 

8. Unplugged Sony PS3 Slim, let it sit for an hour with no power, attempted Safe mode process. No luck, green power light shows but no HDD indicator at the bottom where normally it shows flickering amber colors. 

9. Called Sony Support @ 1-800-345-7669. After going through basic troubleshooting and escalating call. I was told since product is out of warranty, I need to pay a 99.00 service fee to get it repaired. 

Unbelievable.... Prior to 4.31 update, the PS3 worked flawlessly, never ever had problems. After attempted to upgrade to 4.31, it bricked my PS3 and customer support is stating that some sort of corruption had occurred prior to update or that the data packets were incomplete, its an issue on my network. 

As far as I Know, it worked fine prior to 4.30 and no issues. After upgrade attempt, Im stuck with a bricked Sony. Moving forward, I will never recommend Sony products or purchase anything Sony.

Currently I own a Sony 46 LCD TV, Sony Blubbery player, Sony PS3, and Sony GS7 Google TV. I gurantee you if this issues not resolved free of charge from Sony, you have lost me as a customer for the future.  I've invested in the move and numerous PS3 games but you know what, I'm cutting my losses. 

Sony TechSupport is helpful to the best of their ability due the processes they have to work with, but to state that its my fault and you wont own up to the process causing the issues is completely unacceptable.  

Thank god for Costco... 

Regards,

Nael

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (4,421 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17288 posts

Message 2 of 18 (4,411 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5852 posts

Re: PS3 Slim bricked after 4.31 upgrade attempt

Nov 4, 2012

That link just brings him back to the same tread... 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (4,400 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17288 posts

Nov 4, 2012

buckallmighty wrote:

That link just brings him back to the same tread... 

No it brings him back to his duplicate thread. It's how I react to spam.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (4,397 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5852 posts

Nov 4, 2012

Oh ok well excuse my not knowing he had two. Personally after reading his issues i would be **bleep** too. 4.31 has messed up a lot of systems. he is not the only one.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (4,391 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Nov 4, 2012

Yes I posted it twice as Im fumed but just got off the phone from Costco and they have authorized me to return this even though it was purchased in 2010. Thanks Costco but they dont have any PS3 in stock...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (4,383 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2012

Its not SPAM. Its SONY not owning up to the issue and throwing the end user under the bus saying its our fault. Their BS of stating we dont have control over your network and this BS about packets being incomplete during the download caused the issue. Sony refuses to take responsibility for tihs mess.

Im not the only one with this problem, search the forums. Lots of people are having the same issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (4,353 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15440 posts

Nov 5, 2012

Check this out.... did you ever think to go into safe mode and perform the PC update method from there instead of whining and crying? 
Your PS3 was caught in an update loop due to a failing hdd.

Leaving the PS3 unplugged does NOTHING. The PS3 is not a living thing, it does not fix itself.

ranting and raving gets you nowhere..... being calm, collected, and asking questions gets you places.
Did you also know that before anny update goes live, Sony has to verify the update is stable? 

Posting a duplicate thread is also not the best way to get a response because all it will do is confuse people and they will not want to help you at all.

If the method above does not work, then its likely an issue that the hdd is dead. The update was only a coincidence because it might have been that a bad sector was on the portion of the drive where the firmware/OS exists causing the issues that you experienced.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (4,325 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5852 posts

Nov 5, 2012
So... Your saying that the stability of this update that has messed up many systems was indeed checked? That sure makes me feel better.... But not really though.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (4,266 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2012

Check this out? I did all the basic troubleshooting steps outlined in the various post in the forums including safe mode and calling tech support. Instead of defending Sony, they should own up to the fact their firmware is bricking devices and our only recourse is to fork over a 99.00 fee.  If the HDD is bad that's would be understandable but I find that hard to believe considering everything was perfectly fine prior to 4.31.

Ranting will get me attention since it got yours.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (4,182 Views)