Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 06 2012
By: TechGenius20 First Son 28 posts

PS3 Super Slim "Overheating"

43 replies 13734 views Edited Dec 6, 2012

I bought an Assassin's Creed III Bundle on the 3rd of November for My Birthday, and today I was playing a game for about 5 minutes when the system said it was overheating. I checked the back before it shut itself off and noticed no heat was radiating nor were the fans turned on. I then turned it on and while it checked the HDD the fan went to its maximum setting. What should I do? Has anybody else experienced this?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 44 (13,734 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: PS3 Super Slim "Overheating"

Dec 6, 2012
If it keeps doing that, you can contact Sony for a repair. Or since you purchased it in November, most likely the store you got it from has an extended return policy where you can exchange it for another one...
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 44 (13,728 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Dec 7, 2012

Deja Vu for the 4th time

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 44 (13,710 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Dec 7, 2012

something told me the way the heatsinks are setup it wouldn't be long before the complaints came in...i predicted this as soon as i seen the video of EE taking one apart...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 44 (13,709 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Dec 29, 2012

Sony did a very poor job with thermal paste on the CPU but more so on the GPU. If you can open up the console and know how to properly replace thermal paste, you should be fine.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 44 (13,464 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 29, 2012
In the OPs case, I think the issue has more to do with the fan not operating like he mentioned when he turned on his system one time. Like any of the other PS3 system, I think the original past is good enough to last at least a few years....
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 44 (13,454 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, it would be, if there actually WAS paste on the chip. If you had 10 PS3 Super Slims, opened them all up, 9 out of 10 times, there's not going to be any paste on the GPU, just on the sides of it, which is never good and doesn't do a **bleep** thing. What would be on the chip, would be such a thin layer you could see right through it, yet the paste that's on the side of the chip? Can't see through that one bit. You can go against me, do what you want, I'm going based on experience. I've opened up about 30 people's PS3 Super Slims and almost all of them looked like that.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 44 (13,418 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 30, 2012

I am new to the PS3 world... Just got a Super Slim w/ Assassins Creed III from my fiance for Xmas.  (as a XBOX gamer my fiance must really hate me if she got me a PS3)  :smileyvery-happy:

All joking aside, I have had my new PS3 running non-stop since Christmas.  More so due to the fact there are a crapton of installs and updates for almost every game I buy due to entering the PS3 world a bit late.  It seems never ending and takes forever compared to xbox updates and installs so I just leave it on.

My question is, has this over heating of the PS3 super slim become a common issue yet?  Wondering when mine will crap the bed. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 44 (13,400 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Dec 30, 2012

well ps3 never should had "improved" haha... any way try getting a new ps3 dont try self repairs dats risky and by da way Happy Birthday sorry that happened to you

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 44 (13,397 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Dec 30, 2012

xSonic521x wrote:

Yeah, it would be, if there actually WAS paste on the chip. If you had 10 PS3 Super Slims, opened them all up, 9 out of 10 times, there's not going to be any paste on the GPU, just on the sides of it, which is never good and doesn't do a **bleep** thing. What would be on the chip, would be such a thin layer you could see right through it, yet the paste that's on the side of the chip? Can't see through that one bit. You can go against me, do what you want, I'm going based on experience. I've opened up about 30 people's PS3 Super Slims and almost all of them looked like that.

I'd like to see some photos of this. Im genuinely curious

Otherwise you're nothing but talking hearsay based on the limited information there still is with the super slim as it is.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 44 (13,371 Views)