First Son
2 posts

Re: PS3 Super Slim "Overheating"

Feb 12, 2013

just turned mine horizontal and it reduced the fan speed. Guess I bought the 15 dolar stand for this **bleep** for nothing

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 44 (1,098 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
506 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 12, 2013

I Keep my super slim's disk cover closed with a disk in or not. and horizontal

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 44 (1,092 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 21, 2013

I had a first generation fat PS3 (the kind that was backward-compatible with PS2) that suffered a YLOD at the end of 2012. I reapplied thermal compound and managed to recover the stuck game disc. Having read elsewhere that it is common for PS3s to YLOD after a relatively short time once they've initially overheated, I bought a Super Slim, and attempted to transfer the contents of my original PS3 to it. The transfer was taking a long time, and the old machine expired again after a few hours while it was transferring. After reapplying compound a second time, I attempted to transfer content from the old machine to the new one again. The transfer must have taken something like 20 hours. During that time, luckily both machines functioned normally. Since then I've taken the old machine out of service since I can't trust that it will work properly anymore. The super slim is a huge let-down in terms of perceived build quality when compared to the original but it has worked normally over the past couple of months, though I haven't given it much use. However, last night after watching a couple of movies, I turned the machine on. It is standing vertically, and is situated behind the flat screen television. The TV stand we are using is from an old gigantic CRT television, so there is plenty of room behind the TV. The TV was warm from use. When the PS3 turned on, after only a couple of minutes it warned that it was overheating and then shut itself off. When I turned it back on, the thing sounded like a vacuum cleaner, so I shut if off. This morning, I turned it on again, and it seemed to function normally once more, the only discernible difference being that the TV was cool. Maybe some folks are experiencing overheating problems because their PS3s are ingesting warm air from their TV's or other devices, and the PS3s aren't themselves actually overheating.

Regardless, it's still a bummer and my faith in the PS3 is shaken - to the point that I don't think I'll be getting a PS4. I also have an Xbox 360 that has RROD twice, and I always considered the PS3 bulletproof in comparison, but not any more.

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 44 (929 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Mine freezes all the time too :smileysad:
[URL="http://psnprofiles.com/biscoto23"][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/biscoto23.png[/IMG][/URL]
Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 44 (926 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6399 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Mine works great. A lot better than the slim.
Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion!
http://playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com/

PSN: ScreamAimFire999 [PS4 and PS3 Owner]
Twitter: @PSPersuasion

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 44 (915 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Apr 22, 2013

rafflemaker wrote:

I had a first generation fat PS3 (the kind that was backward-compatible with PS2) that suffered a YLOD at the end of 2012. I reapplied thermal compound and managed to recover the stuck game disc. Having read elsewhere that it is common for PS3s to YLOD after a relatively short time once they've initially overheated, I bought a Super Slim, and attempted to transfer the contents of my original PS3 to it. The transfer was taking a long time, and the old machine expired again after a few hours while it was transferring. After reapplying compound a second time, I attempted to transfer content from the old machine to the new one again. The transfer must have taken something like 20 hours. During that time, luckily both machines functioned normally. Since then I've taken the old machine out of service since I can't trust that it will work properly anymore. The super slim is a huge let-down in terms of perceived build quality when compared to the original but it has worked normally over the past couple of months, though I haven't given it much use. However, last night after watching a couple of movies, I turned the machine on. It is standing vertically, and is situated behind the flat screen television. The TV stand we are using is from an old gigantic CRT television, so there is plenty of room behind the TV. The TV was warm from use. When the PS3 turned on, after only a couple of minutes it warned that it was overheating and then shut itself off. When I turned it back on, the thing sounded like a vacuum cleaner, so I shut if off. This morning, I turned it on again, and it seemed to function normally once more, the only discernible difference being that the TV was cool. Maybe some folks are experiencing overheating problems because their PS3s are ingesting warm air from their TV's or other devices, and the PS3s aren't themselves actually overheating.

Regardless, it's still a bummer and my faith in the PS3 is shaken - to the point that I don't think I'll be getting a PS4. I also have an Xbox 360 that has RROD twice, and I always considered the PS3 bulletproof in comparison, but not any more.

So with that logic, it means you won't be getting any console, right?

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 44 (904 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Apr 22, 2013

bigdaddyspears wrote:

just turned mine horizontal and it reduced the fan speed. Guess I bought the 15 dolar stand for this **bleep** for nothing

you didn't have to buy the stand at all.....

I have mine vertical and no issues here.

Might want to open a window, turn the fan on, lower the A/C temp.....

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 44 (901 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Apr 22, 2013

ceedub2 wrote:

I Keep my super slim's disk cover closed with a disk in or not. and horizontal

Why would you think that would ever be helpful?

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 44 (900 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 22, 2013

"So with that logic, it means you won't be getting any console, right?"

Logic not really involved - just opinion, but I won't be getting any console that's proven itself to be unreliable. Arguably, Xbox 360 has improved with time. Likewise, I haven't heard anywhere that Wii has gotten worse. The upcoming Ouyah also hasn't revealed itself to be a lemon. But I haven't read anywhere that anyone thinks that the PS3 has improved in quality (or value).

On top of it all, the PS4 won't play PS3 media. I have peripherals, 55 disks, other downloaded content and it's all pretty much guaranteed to be useless given the practically-guaranteed eventual failure of the PS3. I wouldn't have bought so much stuff for the machine if I expected that I wouldn't be able to continue to use it. I can still play VHS tapes, listen to cassettes, watch old 8mm movies and have film developed. When the PS3 dies, how will I be able to consume any of the media that I've purchased?

I've advised people in the past that the PS3 is better than the 360, both in terms of features and dependability. Nowadays I'd be hard-pressed to recommend the PS3 - even with more features, if it's undependable, how can it be better? Anyway, that's just me. My original remark, that the overheating issue might be environmental in nature, was intended to perhaps help some people resolve their PS3 Super Slim issues.

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 44 (874 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Apr 22, 2013

rafflemaker wrote:

"So with that logic, it means you won't be getting any console, right?"

Logic not really involved - just opinion, but I won't be getting any console that's proven itself to be unreliable. Arguably, Xbox 360 has improved with time. Likewise, I haven't heard anywhere that Wii has gotten worse. The upcoming Ouyah also hasn't revealed itself to be a lemon. But I haven't read anywhere that anyone thinks that the PS3 has improved in quality (or value).

On top of it all, the PS4 won't play PS3 media. I have peripherals, 55 disks, other downloaded content and it's all pretty much guaranteed to be useless given the practically-guaranteed eventual failure of the PS3. I wouldn't have bought so much stuff for the machine if I expected that I wouldn't be able to continue to use it. I can still play VHS tapes, listen to cassettes, watch old 8mm movies and have film developed. When the PS3 dies, how will I be able to consume any of the media that I've purchased?

I've advised people in the past that the PS3 is better than the 360, both in terms of features and dependability. Nowadays I'd be hard-pressed to recommend the PS3 - even with more features, if it's undependable, how can it be better? Anyway, that's just me. My original remark, that the overheating issue might be environmental in nature, was intended to perhaps help some people resolve their PS3 Super Slim issues.

Opinions usually are rooted in logic or the absense of it. Understanding the meaning of logic, helps in most cases when it comes to the discussions and arguments on a gaming forum, particularly consoles. (I have yet to see the PC crowd inundated with logic-less discussions, and usually anything that carries an opinion is respectfully accepted without any sort of flaming)

The 360 was "improved" over time due to the hilariously massive amount of failures.... the console has went through something like 8 motherboard revisions, and there are still issues with the console. Sure its BETTER than what it used to be, but for anything to have a nearly 0% failure rate is almost unheard of.
The Wii and Wii U.... plenty of issues there with dead disc readers, bad wifi cards.
The Ouya isn't even out yet.... developers are the only ones that have access to it, and when it comes to developing something for a new piece of hardware, the console is only going to get its own revisions over its lifetime regardless of how "simple" it is.

Arguing that everything you have relating to the PS3, while valid, is still on basis that you would be looking forward to backwards compatibility..... which this is not about. but i'll breifly touch upon it. 
When Sony announced the PS4, they subliminally apologized about the PS3 in how the architecture was hard to program initially. So changing to a PC architecture is a breath of fresh air for just about everyone.
As such, trying to make the PS3 architecture coinice with the PS4 architecture is simply a nightmare to engineer and would most likely create more problems than it solves, if it was just to appease a few hundred thousand gamers who continue to beg for it, which is never going to happen.

Banking on the fact that a PS3 is "practically-guaranteed" to fail is ad hominem. There are WAYS to permanently fix/prevent PS3 failures which is the YLOD..... failure of optical drives is the name of the game.... just because one thing lasts longer like a VHS player doesnt give any validity to the argument because you're comparing two different pieces of technology.... One being old and simplistic in nature, the other being new and complex. 

Of course the older, simpler tech is going to presumably last longer.... but that doesnt mean that the new stuff is always going to break. It also doesn't mean that the simple/older tech ISN"T going to fail.

There a lot more to the failure of a console than simply how its made.... you also have to consider its treatement in a real world environment.... 

In most cases, its just "the roll of the dice"..... you cant expect to have 100% trust/faith in something without failure..... anything man made is bound to fail sooner or later. The determination of that is in how things are cared for.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 44 (892 Views)
0 Likes