May 23 2011
By: Obviouse First Son 2 posts

PS3 System Restore going to blank screen (unsuccessful)

21 replies 20276 views Edited May 23, 2011

I have seen quite a few threads regarding doing a system restore, but I feel that I need to describe what mine is doing... So this morning, I went to go and run a ps3 game and the system froze on me. Afterwards, I went to reboot the system using a hard reboot and when in came back up, it only showed the system start splash screen. The menu would never come up. I first went into the system restore menu and tried to restore file system. That made the system think for a while and when it came back up, it said the hard drive was corrupted and that it needed to restore the file system.

I said ok and it began to do so. However, the restoration never made it past 1%. After an extended period, it simply beeped a few times and began flashing red. I tried this several times, even increasing fans in case it was an overheating issue, to the same result.

After awhile, I decided to do a full system restore. However, when I do that, it says restoring factory settings for about 5-10 minutes, then the video feed to the tv cuts of for a second and when it comes back on, there is just a black screen... no progress bar, etc. The first time I attempted to restore the whole system I left it going for a solid 2 hours with no recognizable progress, nor the choice of whether to perform a quick or slow restore (format). I am assuming from all the posts regarding this that I should have some display throughout the entire process...

I am thinking that my hard drive could have fully and irrepairably died, but am not sure and would love your input.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 22 (20,276 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18791 posts

Re: PS3 System Restore going to blank screen (unsuccessful)

May 23, 2011
Message 2 of 22 (20,276 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 23, 2011

I plan to, but thought that before I do that, I would exhaust any other potential remedy...

I suppose that the better question would have been is this the expected behavior when you try to restore a ps3 and the hard drive has mechanically failed? Or should I still see something on the screen? I'm assuming that the video processors are still functioning, since the backgrounds on the startup screen are still showing and animated..

Message 3 of 22 (20,276 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

May 23, 2011

Obviouse wrote:

I plan to, but thought that before I do that, I would exhaust any other potential remedy...

You can try to format the HDD inside a computer, do a full format to see if it completes and finds bad sectors.

If it completes successfully, try installing it inside the PS3 again.  If it fails, then try replacing.  If it succeeds and the PS3 fails at setting it up... the problem is elsewhere in the PS3.

Message 4 of 22 (20,276 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18791 posts

May 23, 2011

Well you said you already tried restore. Was that in safe mode?

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/?a_id=1488

If so and you've done every other option that's all I can think to do.

Message 5 of 22 (20,276 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 11, 2012

I have the same problem but i still havnt been able to fix it. did you get it running

Message 6 of 22 (19,778 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 18, 2013

i have the same problem what can i do

Message 7 of 22 (14,923 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18752 posts

Feb 18, 2013

FITCH_15 wrote:

i have the same problem what can i do

You need to replace your HDD. This must be a a Serial ATA 2.5" internal hard drive.

HowTo

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/362/kw/HDD

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 8 of 22 (14,920 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 19, 2013

I have seen quite a few threads regarding doing a system restore, but I feel that I need to describe what mine is doing... So this morning, I went to go and run a ps3 game and the system froze on me. Afterwards, I went to reboot the system using a hard reboot and when in came back up, it only showed the system start splash screen. The menu would never come up. I first went into the system restore menu and tried to restore file system. That made the system think for a while and when it came back up, it said the hard drive was corrupted and that it needed to restore the file system.

I said ok and it began to do so. However, the restoration never made it past 1%. After an extended period, it simply beeped a few times and began flashing red. I tried this several times, even increasing fans in case it was an overheating issue, to the same result.

After awhile, I decided to do a full system restore. However, when I do that, it says restoring factory settings for about 5-10 minutes, then the video feed to the tv cuts of for a second and when it comes back on, there is just a black screen... no progress bar, etc. The first time I attempted to restore the whole system I left it going for a solid 2 hours with no recognizable progress, nor the choice of whether to perform a quick or slow restore (format). I am assuming from all the posts regarding this that I should have some display throughout the entire process...

I am thinking that my hard drive could have fully and irrepairably died, but am not sure and would love your input.

Thanks in advance.

Message 9 of 22 (14,887 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 19, 2013

Thanks in advance.

Message 10 of 22 (14,886 Views)
0 Likes