Jun 24 2013
By: SouFantastico First Son 7 posts

PS3 hangs during downloads and WLAN light keeps flashing

5 replies 136 views Edited Jun 24, 2013

Hi all,

Basically, whenever my PS3 is downloading something large (DLC, a game, or demo) it hangs somewhere during the download, but the WLAN green light keeps flashing rapidly. It freezes in such a way that the wireless controller isn't even able to get into sleep mode. The only thing I can do is press the power button for 10 seconds to shutdown the console. At boot up it reports that it wasn't properly shutdown, and initiates the system restore.

This also happens if I hang around PSN Store for too long. During gamely for extended periods, or even installing the (eventually) downloaded games/demos/content, it doesn't freeze.

I have already booted into Safe Mode, and tried restoring the Database, and even the whole PS3 System. In the end, I thought it was a HDD issue, so I replaced it with a new one but, to my dismay, the issue still persists. I have also disabled remote play options (read about it in a forum) or any kind of HDMI interaction with other devices (i.e., the TV). I have also tried to see it was something related with Power Saving (i.e., the screen dimming after some inactivity time), but during content install when the dim happens, there is no freezing. The system has been running fine for years until last week.

The first time I noticed this was when using the Final Fantasy XIV beta client. I left it downloading the client (using the beta downloader of the game) overnight. When switched on the TV, the frozen system with the flashing WLAN light greeted me. Initially, the PS3 seemed as well to "forget" the controller, and unable to sync with it, requiring me to use it via cable. Also, it had a difficult time to connect to WLAN, which was solved after a couple of reboots. So I also considered it to be a WLAN problem. However, when it connects (it's close to the router, as has been all these years) it downloads quite fast and everything, until it freezes.

I've tried to pay attention to a download process, and I noticed that before the system freezes, there is a large HDD light (orange) flash, and then the freezing commences.

Sorry for the large post... I tried to provide any detail I could've remembered. I have yet to find online someone with the same issue. Can anyone help?

Thanks for the patience.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (136 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: PS3 hangs during downloads and WLAN light keeps flashing

Jul 10, 2013

Hi.

Just to add that this also happens during gameplay.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Jul 10, 2013

Switch to hard wired I would imagine or mess with your network settings to create a Static IP with different Primary and Secondary DNS Servers and then place the new Static IP in a DMZ on your router.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (102 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Jul 11, 2013
Thanks. I will try this. However it's weird, since all has been working well (network wise) until a month ago. Plus, also feels weird that network-issues would cause these crashes...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (92 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Ok... I think I found the culprit. I was actually forced to follow your device. This is because today my WiFi/Bluetooth interfaces on my Slim PS3 died on me. No more WiFi green light.

I managed to connect the controller via USB, and to have the PS3 connected online via Ethernet. I am been playing extensively the online games that used to cause the hanging, so far so good.

However, I am saddened, becaus I have read that the Slim PS3 can't replace the WiFi/Bluetooth interface, unlike the Fat model (at leaste easily). Since the warranty has finished last year, Sony will make me pay a tremendous amount of money which could be well placed into saving for a PS4 in some months.

Has anyone got a suggestion for fixing/replacing the Wireless card on the Slim PS3?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Jul 11, 2013

It's hard wired to the motherboard, and would probably require an electronics repair shop who specializes in this type of repair.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (80 Views)
0 Likes