Jan 14 2012
By: Bioswat96 First Son 4 posts

PS3 is freezing. Help plz

10 replies 26 views Edited Jan 14, 2012

Hi all. My PS3 started freezing because of new firmware. What must I do? Hate when PS3 is freezing -_-

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2929 posts

Re: PS3 is freezing. Help plz

Jan 14, 2012

Is it freezing only when you play games or what?  Unfortunately Sony swears that firmware upgrades cant harm your system, but each time they release a new firmware theres a swarm of people with broken ps3s.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Jan 14, 2012

boot into safe mode and restore the file system /

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 18, 2012

I don't really know when it freezes, I think it freezes when some time colapse, for example at 5th minute it freezes every time. What to do?  I already restored the file system for about 90 times !!!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2929 posts

Jan 21, 2012

I'm not really sure, if it freezes during games its usually the bluray drive/lens messing up.  If its freezing randomly, on the XMB than maybe your HDD is faulty.  If youre system is still under warranty, you could try contacting Sony or the store you bought it from about the freezing..

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 21, 2012

I just recently made a post about this issue. I can truely say for a FACT its not the games you play or the system itself. I just bought a brand new PS3 320GB Move Bundle at WalMart about 2 hours ago. When I got home, I hooked everything up nice and slowly to make sure the job got down right the first time. (Heaven forbit if Sony came up with an excuse). Anyways, I got it all going. I updated the system to 4.11 update. After doing so. I set up my account information with the system and was ready to sync my Trophy Information (at NO TIME did I got on the PS Store to download my content). I went to Trophy Information and hit X. Started out at 5% and moved to 6% at which time the system froze (but I was unaware of this) I sat and waited (as i was watching TV) I noticed it had not moved. I pressed O on the controller (nothing). I pressed and held the PS button on the controller (Nothing happened).

BOTTOMLINE: If I brought a brand spanking new system. Hooked it up, updated system, and sync trophy info. Why would the system freeze? Esp, with the orginal 320GB installed. Its Sony PS Updates that are causing these systems to crash. Not the games you play, nor is it the system itself.

PS: If you dont believe me then you can come over to my house and look for yourself cause I am not lying.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 23, 2012

@funboy1127

Hey guy, I posted to your other thread about this issue. I for one believe you. I think it's possibly a scam by Sony to where we have to send our systems in for repair. My 60 GB PS3 worked FINE until I updated to 4.11. It never froze until after that update, now it's freezing EVERYTIME I play FF XIII after just 10-15 minutes. Ive played the game for over 40 hours total over the course of 2 months and it worked perfect until NOW! What the %$^& Sony? Is this the crap your going to pull on us so that we are forced to service our PS3's? Very sad indeed. Also, btw I have rebuilt the file system, restored the PS3 and everything else... No dice. Great find funboy1127 I agree with you completely.

- H. Knight -
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Feb 23, 2012

bestscreenname wrote:

Is it freezing only when you play games or what?  Unfortunately Sony swears that firmware upgrades cant harm your system, but each time they release a new firmware theres a swarm of people with broken ps3s.

You are right , i wonder if it says in the liscense agreement before you update (that nobody reads) that sony is not responsible for messing up your PS3 with new firmware (they probably dont care).

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Sorry for the long post guys:

I've been having problems since the 4.0 update. I have a launch 60gb, and the system has been beautifully maintained since the day I got it brand new (ie: well ventilated, vacuum'd monthly, never jostled). There are, in fact, a lot of tech articles about the FW 4.0+ that have been freezing these systems. Some of the fixes that are floating around out there only work for like an hour or two, if that, then locks the system up again. I've seen many Youtube videos showing the SAME exact symptoms as my system. I think what upsets me most about most of these issues is that Sony dosen't even placate us with a response saying "We're looking into the matter", they just show complete ignorance. Sure, it's not many people having the same issue, but look at the people having the issue, find out what's wrong, and attempt to fix it. In the meantime, I have a system I can't use, and there are games/movies I won't buy because these I can't use the system. It's very frustrating.

Not to mention the fact all the flamers out there raising there hands in the air and going "Oh, JC, another frigging whiner about the FW bricking their system!", is not helping. What I think is funny is that when it happens to them, and I have seen it NUMEROUS times, they have the flamers all over them like white on rice. It truely dosen't help.

Anyways, to the nitty gritty: It's not YLOD. Loads just like it normally did. Only after it freezes a couple times, the video goes out, then you can't do anything, not even hold down the button for the 3-beep. After unplugging for a day or two, system sometimes comes back up with video. Then I continue trying to fix it. It freezes in completely random places, not just in games. I can load up to the menu, log into the store, do a couple things, and it'll freeze. Other times, freezes as soon as the system loads, or go a couple hours playing a couple games, letting the system get hot, cool down, hot, cool down, then freeze. The fan is not always running high when it froze, neither. So it's not just an overheating issue.

I have reloaded the FW using a USB: All 3 times from 4.0, 4.10, and 4.11: Has not worked.

I let the system check the hard drive, numerous times: nothing.

I let the system rebuild the file system: Nothing.

I (can't believe I) let the system reformat the HDD, only backing up DATA and saved games to an external drive: Nothing.

I swapped back in the old hard drive, used for only 2 months after purchase, then sat in a static-free-bag, while I used my 320gb Drive: Nothing.

Tore down the entire system to do a FULL DEEP CLEANING, then applying new thermal pasting to CPU/GPU: The first boot up, ran for about 2 hours, then it went back to the old routine.

I did, however, suspect the cmos battery. Some PCs have issues after awhile, even when the system is running, if the battery is completely drained. Went to Radio Shack, got a new one: Same issue, ran for a couple hours, then died. But! It did reset the video right away. then froze again.

So I am back to square one, firmly believing it is a FW issue. I have called and talked to their so called Customer Service Reps: And they always want me to send the system to them, and pay them money. No thank you, I've seen the posts from other people who did that, and their refurbished systems they received back were still having the same issue. So, I'll just hold off hope that they are, in some way or another, paying attention to us that are having problems. But I feel like I'm hoping for a sign that will never come, in which case, I may just build another PC down the road, and use that on my TV instead. It can do Blu-ray and Gaming too. Sure, I'll miss some game titles, but I can also do much more on a PC, like MUCH BETTER web browsing, Better HD Youtube viewing, etc. But, I'd rather not go down that road just yet. I actually liked my PlayStation 3, but don't want to have to buy another one if they don't want to help fix problems they have on their systems.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 23, 2012

i have to agree with you that sending back your console to sony is a pretty crappy idea

the ps3 i got back was a pretty crappy one

since i was drowned with work soon after getting it back i played it only a little

3 monthes and 3 days after i got my ps3 back i found out that both the power and eject buttons stopeed working

(for the power button if you hold it down with 2 fingers and curse at it for about an hour it will work some thimes)

when i call customer service i was told sucks to be you that will be $100 to fix

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (26 Views)
0 Likes