Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 30 2010
By: Jhoalot First Son 5 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 turns off alone and red light keep flashing!!!

82 replies 327891 views Edited Dec 30, 2009

Hi this is my second post about this, the first one no body answered me, i hope that some answer this one.

My PS3 turns off alone! My ps3 is a Backward Compatible Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle that has memory stick reader and 4 USB slots, well the thing is that is not with every game, only happen with certain ones like Socom and uncharted 2, but with games like dead space and burnout paradise it works. I just start the game and after like a minute of playing(only happens to me on gameplay, in the menus doesn't happen anything) sound a *beep* and it turns off alone and the red lights keep flashing. Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 83 (327,891 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
303 posts

Re: PS3 turns off alone and red light keep flashing!!!

Dec 30, 2009
ok dude, you officially have YLOD or "yellow light of death". I have had it twice.. I also wanted my data.. so I researched.. no matter what you do.. if you send it to sony its gone.. it cant be recovered outside of the ps3 or in a different one. I know a guy who will repair your ps3 leaving all your data intact for 80 dolllars.. he sells his service on ebay and if it breaks again within three months just ship it back to him and he'll fix it for free. If you want to know just PM me
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 83 (327,891 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7556 posts

Dec 30, 2009

It's overheating. Clean out the vents with vaccuum cleaner. If symptoms persist, call Sony.

EDIT: As long as your PS3 can still start into the XMB, it's not the YLOD.

Message Edited by Doppelgangergang on 12-29-2009 11:33 PM
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 83 (327,891 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
303 posts

Dec 30, 2009

yeah it is.. if it turns itself off and the red light blinks.. if you keep using it, after a few more tries it wont turn back on giving you the yellow light.. I think I would know... its happened to me twice

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 83 (327,891 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 6, 2010

Hey

Alot of people think they know the answer to things they know nothing about.....2 units getting the ylod does not mean someone should trust you more...lol

I own a console repair shop and have fixed over 150 PS3 units. your unit displaying the flashing red light is telling your there has been a malfunction.

some people turn their systems back on to realize they have the ylod and the unit quickly turns on then off displaying the green and red lights at the same time,

giving us our yellow light. I have come across a few consoles with the exact problem you refer too. Your system is shuttting down due to a blu-ray drive failure(most likely a problem with the pcb on the bluray drive.) I was able to fix the issue by replacing the pcb, the trick is finding a compatible pcb. you have to match up the revisions.

Parts may be hard to come across, these pcb boards are very rarely listed online. So miy suggestion to you, is to find a console repair shop around your area, and see if they may have the part you need, otherwise sell your unit for parts. With blu-ray lasers being expensive, you can still easily get 80-100 for the unit.

good luck, 

Shawn Mayer

Pro On The Go & Console Kings

Over 400 360's and 150 PS3's serviced in 2 years

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 83 (327,891 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5505 posts

Feb 6, 2010
Again, people assume because it is blinking red that it is the "YLOD", better known as a hardware failure.

"When the power status light flashes red after using the PS3 system for 3 or more minutes and shuts off, the PS3 system has possibly over heated. This may be caused by poor ventilation or the vents may be blocked."

"If this happens:

• Check to see if the vents are blocked. If the vents are dusty, vacuum the vents to remove the dust.

• If the PS3 system is in an enclosed area like a bookshelf or entertainment center, move it to a more open area.

• Leave the PS3 system off for 30 minutes to let it cool down.

• If you continue to have issues, you will have to send the system in for service."

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 83 (327,891 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 6, 2010

You are spot on Heavenyleah. the blinking red light is infact a general hadware failure message. In this particular case, his hardware failure is with the blu-ray drive, that's why the system does not shut down until the drive is accessed. Your thoughts on overheating are close the system will shut down the same way, however it will shutdown while on the dash as well, and regardless of in game or dashboard, if the system is overheating, it will tell you so in the top right hand corner. It will say the system has overheated and is shutting down to avoid further damage.

this is not a theory either, pull your fan power than run your system for a few minuites, you will see what i mean

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 83 (327,891 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Feb 6, 2010
This just happened to me yesterday. I feel your pain
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 83 (327,891 Views)
First Son
1 posts

May 26, 2010

**bleep** mine did it too!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 83 (327,891 Views)
PlayStation MVP
17 posts

Jun 23, 2010

I'm pretty pissed my 4 usb ps3 with the media ports is YLOD it goes green light, yellow light then just flashes red. I hate sony right now.

PSN ID: Soldier-X
Gamertag: Soldier X25
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 83 (327,891 Views)