Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 17 2012
By: Dr_Paneer First Son 10 posts

PS3 won't read game discs... tried all the remedies... help!

90 replies 78862 views Edited Jan 17, 2012

Hey peeps,

So my PS3 refuses to read or load game discs. It still plays dvd, cd's and bluray movie discs. Although it appears to load the bluray movies slower now.

Here is what I tried to fix the problem thus far:

>>I tried a soft re-set.

>>I tried the whole rebuild data thing from menu option#3 in safe mode.
>>I tried deleting and re-downloading game data.

None of the above have worked. I tried several game discs. The PS3 is a couple years old and the slim version. This is my second PS3 as my first PS3 died due to YLOD. Its surpsiing to me becuase I dont push my PS3 nearly as hard as others out there do. Im a casual gamer and actually have a seperate dedicated bluray player for movies. So its frustraintg to see that it looks like my second PS3 might be on its way out as well. I refuse to believe this is a hardware problem as the PS3 still plays bluray movies.

It seems this started after a recent game update for NHL 12 and PS3 system update (latest version). While I dont know if either of those is the culprit I just want to be able to fix this problem.

Will completely putting my PS3 back to factory settings (restore) fix my problem? I guess thats all that is left to try now?

I would really-really appreciate fellow users help on here.

Thanks,

Jay

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 91 (78,862 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Re: PS3 won't read game discs... tried all the remedies... help!

Jan 17, 2012

I don't have a solution but I think my PS3 was having a similar problem, mine is a slim will be a year old next month and right around before christmas my PS3 would not play my games, i would put in my games over and over and it would not work, usually my ps3 would make this sound like its ejecting the disc but it wouldnt, has yours made this sound? anyways about a few weeks later it started playing newer games but not older (the ones with the red logo and big 3 in it on the spine) weird huh, well recently it started playing all my games although when i first put the disc in it loads a little slower but other than that it runs perfectly, but now when I try to watch a Blu Ray movie it's doing what it did to games, DVD's work fine so I don't know whats wrong with my system, I guess it just works when it wants too lol. I'm hoping that maybe overtime it will just completely fix itself, may sound stupid but hey for whatever reason i can play all my games now.

LitchAzazel Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 91 (78,861 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Jan 17, 2012

LitchAzazel wrote:

I don't have a solution but I think my PS3 was having a similar problem, mine is a slim will be a year old next month and right around before christmas my PS3 would not play my games, i would put in my games over and over and it would not work, usually my ps3 would make this sound like its ejecting the disc but it wouldnt, has yours made this sound? anyways about a few weeks later it started playing newer games but not older (the ones with the red logo and big 3 in it on the spine) weird huh, well recently it started playing all my games although when i first put the disc in it loads a little slower but other than that it runs perfectly, but now when I try to watch a Blu Ray movie it's doing what it did to games, DVD's work fine so I don't know whats wrong with my system, I guess it just works when it wants too lol. I'm hoping that maybe overtime it will just completely fix itself, may sound stupid but hey for whatever reason i can play all my games now.

If it were my system I would take advantage of the manufacturer's warranty before it expires next month. Have Sony fix it.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 91 (78,861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 17, 2012

Yeah but im a lazy bastard and don't like going through the hassle of having to call them up and wait for them to ship me a box and wait to get it back. Also I don't have a flash drive to backup my saves, I rather just go through the motions and if it breaks down i'll just buy a new one, they're incredibly cheap nowadays anyways, if this were a few years ago I sure as hell would send it back.

LitchAzazel Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 91 (78,861 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Jan 17, 2012

thanks for the post. Im being patient with my PS3 right now and hopefully I will be able to fix it.

I think I will backup my ps3 to a hard drive and then run menu option #4 from safe mode and if that doesnt work then a complete restore. If that doesnt work, lol, maybe its time to open her up and see if maybe shes just clogged up with dust? I heard some peoples woes in regards to this disc read problem is dust too.

If it wasnt playing bluray movies I would think it was a hardware problem but since it does Im ruling out hardware.

I sure as heck am not sending this to Sony and paying $150 for repairs. Minus well just buy a new one. Although I think if I have to buy a new console Im done with Sony. I mean how much abuse should a customer take. First they leak my personal info at the expense of their ignorance and on top of that they take my money and deliver me products that dont work past a year and half at no abuse from the owner.

I know Microsoft is no star either and I had a Xbox a long time ago get the red ring of death too but atleast they manned up and replaced my unit with a new one depsite the warranty expiring. Gunna go get a Xbox 360 this time around.

Again this is just me thinking into the future. I would still really like to just get this thing fixed. So if anyone has any other options as a fix I would much appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 91 (78,861 Views)
First Son
31 posts

Jan 17, 2012

I've had my PS3 sitting doing nothing for a few weeks now because it won't read ANY discs. If you have update 4.00 it's probably that. Numerous people have had their PS3's stop reading discs after updating to 4.00. Waiting on a patch from PS3 to fix... :/ been one of the longest gaps between firmware updates -.- ugh

And you can try it, but I've done 2 full restores and didn't do a thing either time.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 91 (78,861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jan 17, 2012

Damn thanks for the reply "somethingtosay". Yes I do have update 4.00. I mean like I had said in my original post that I suspeceted it was the software update for either NHL 12 causing this or the PS3 OS update.

Im not going down the restore route yet.

I did find one trick that has made the PS3 read the disc and that is the auto load disc setting in the PS3. Mine was off and I set it to on and it read the disc last night. But that was just once. 

For the time being Ill wait it out and see if a new software update patches this up becuae this really sucks at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 91 (78,861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Jan 17, 2012

yeah my auto load is always on, doesnt matter :/ i agree, it sucks. i wish now i hadn't done the stupid restore too -.- I think I'm gonna have to reload all my game saves from my thumb drive(the ones i could fit on the stupid thing) whenever it finally fixes. If they don't have a new firmware update by feb 1, that's 2 months since 4.00 came out...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 91 (78,861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jan 18, 2012

Yeah. long time between firmware updates for sure. I really hope that a new firmware update comes out soon for the PS3 and it fixes this problem.

I already backed up my game saves incase something goes haywire. Cant be too safe with data. Ill keep you posted if I find a fix. So anyone reading out there with a fix Im still looking, please post!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 91 (78,861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 18, 2012

When was 4.00 released? I know for sure that I had gotten it the day it came out since i turn on my PS3 everyday and check for messages/updates but my PS3 was working perfectly until December 23, maybe it was doing a problem before and I just hadn't noticed because I wasn't playing the certain games that it would be doing that to. I never have auto load on but I'll try it out and see if that fixes anything. But I really dont think its a hardware problem since it will play games and DVD's now and not Blu Rays when this first started happening it would play Blu Rays but not most games.

LitchAzazel Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 91 (78,861 Views)
0 Likes