Record Breaker
4147 posts

Re: PS3 won't read game discs... tried all the remedies... help!

Jan 28, 2012

Has anyone tried opening up their ps3, and physically cleaning the laser lense? It worked for me a while back when my GT5 disc wasn't loading.

It's easy to do. All you need is a screwdriver, isopropyl alcohol and a "Q-tip".

Good luck.

Proud to be a Monkey!

~~~ SupaTunaGT ~~~

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jan 28, 2012

Sorry to hear it didnt work "Soemthingtosay".

@ DaletonaDave.... thanks for the suggestion. I actually just opened her up yesterday to clean the dust manually to rule that out. Obviously that didnt work but I did not clean the laser physicallly myself. Time to try and do that today now!!! Thanks for the new idea!

I will report back how cleaning the laser sensor goes. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 31, 2012

Any luck getting your system to work after cleaning the laser sensor?

I think I'm gonna try to replace the blu ray laser myself.  I found a few vendors on Amazon and Ebay that sell blu ray lasers for the ps3 and a few people have talked about replacing the blu ray laser on the forums.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MROR7G/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=.  Can't be too difficult as long as I follow one of the Youtube tutorials.  Seems like the life expectancy of a ps3 blu ray laser is about 4-5 years.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Jan 31, 2012

My PS3 laser only lasted about 2.5 years of light usage. For sure check the YouTube tutorials first, then open up the drive to verify the laser model# to make sure you order the correct part. I used Amazon.com and it worked out great. Took about 15 minutes to replace the part.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Feb 2, 2012

Just an update, my PS3 is now playing Blu-Rays, DVD's and Games, its running near perfect now and I have not done a thing to it and I did not turn on disc auto load. It's weird that over time that the problem fixed itself but the only things that I have noticed is that whenever I put in a  disc in, it takes awhile for it to load it up on the screen but thats it. Loading time in game is normal and the games never freeze on me. although I've been having some media server error going on but I think that has something to do with my router.

LitchAzazel Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Feb 3, 2012

lol wtf thats weird... how much do you have your PS3 on? were u just leaving it on and not using it, or just turned it on every couple days to check if it worked or what? while it wasnt reading discs what were u doing?

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Feb 3, 2012

No whenver I turned it on I'd play it or watch a DVD on it, on average I'd say I have it on about 14-21 hours a week, whenever I would either switch to another game or DVD every now and then I would put a Blue Ray in to see if it worked then go back to what I was originally going to do. Sometimes I would turn my PS3 on and leave it on for 1 hour but that was only to recharge my controllers so I didn't do that very often. I think my PS3 stopped reading games for a total of 2-3 weeks and Blu Ray for about 3-4 weeks.

LitchAzazel Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 4, 2012

I did everything you said even cleaned the blu ray lens, and nothing worked, my ps3 still doest read games or blu rays. :-S

I have the latest update 4.0

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 4, 2012

What happened to you with the cleaning, it worked?

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 7, 2012

@sphenoidbone; one thing that worked at one point, is when I took apart the playstation unplugged all the ribbons and when I hooked everything back up and inserted modern warfare 3 it worked or at least recongized that there was a disc but never played it :-( but Im like all of you i was playing the game it froze and when i turned it off it never worked again!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 85 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes