First Son
5 posts

Re: Problem after update to 4.45

Jun 19, 2013

I just hope hey can fix this problem without it involving me having to format. I really dont want to have to re download 600+gb of data on 2 different systems.

Message 1641 of 4,407 (897 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

Restoring the system didn't work: nothing happened. The PS3 just sat there. 

Installed the old hard drive and it asked to install 4.45, which is no longer available and the system thinks it needs to be 4.45. 

All the data got erased as well. 

I'd like to know when Sony will be releasing the patch. Sony's update post didn't even give a timeframe. I think thousands (that's my guess based on the number of views) are affected and they called it a "small number." 

Message 1642 of 4,407 (637 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jun 19, 2013

A few thoughts occur to me.

A. Let's say the re-released update doesn't fix the problem and a lot of systems are still inexplicably bricked. If they don't offer something around the idea of "Send it to us. We'll pay for everything and send it back working, free of charge.", then they're going to lose a lot of customers. Sure, you can call those customers immature or impatient or uncompromisingly uneducated on software complexities and the issus code can have with itself, let alone other codes, but all of those people are still paying customers. You know. The kind likely to throw 500 dollars into a brand new system they just hyped up.

B. Even if they fix said things with an update, or recall or whatever...Can their servers even handle these HUGE purchase customers all trying to get their data back at once? It SEEMS to be hitting the biggest capacities hardest. Logically, the people willing to spend $80+ dollars on a new drive are also the ones with hours upon hours worth of downloads, even on the fastest connections. All of these people trying this at the same time? Ha. Good luck with that. Sony may just be sitting back going "Ohhhhh **bleep**....Oooooooh....Ok. Um...This is very, very bad." And I bet more than a few of their programmers are now pulling the longest shifts they have in a long time, all while white-knuckling cups of coffee and staring at screens looking through (most likely) all updates and all instances of firmware. This could be a digital needle in a city of haystacks. I wish them all the luck in the world, and my love for Sony probably won't wane TOO much considering I at least know of the challenges of programming. But **bleep**. This could go very, very ugly for them.

Guys. If you're reading this, then do this: Inhale. Hold. Exhale. Drink coffee. And try to think of what YOU KNOW that could be causing this. God, I do not want to be in your shoes right now.

Good luck and God speed SCEA.

!
Message 1643 of 4,407 (970 Views)
Splicer
40 posts

Jun 19, 2013

JWHigdon21 wrote:

A. Let's say the re-released update doesn't fix the problem and a lot of systems are still inexplicably bricked. If they don't offer something around the idea of "Send it to us. We'll pay for everything and send it back working, free of charge.", then they're going to lose a lot of customers. Sure, you can call those customers immature or impatient or uncompromisingly uneducated on software complexities and the issus code can have with itself, let alone other codes, but all of those people are still paying customers. You know. The kind likely to throw 500 dollars into a brand new system they just hyped up.

B. Even if they fix said things with an update, or recall or whatever...Can their servers even handle these HUGE purchase customers all trying to get their data back at once? It SEEMS to be hitting the biggest capacities hardest. Logically, the people willing to spend $80+ dollars on a new drive are also the ones with hours upon hours worth of downloads, even on the fastest connections. All of these people trying this at the same time? Ha. Good luck with that. Sony may just be sitting back going "Ohhhhh **bleep**....Oooooooh....Ok. Um...This is very, very bad." And I bet more than a few of their programmers are now pulling the longest shifts they have in a long time, all while white-knuckling cups of coffee and staring at screens looking through (most likely) all updates and all instances of firmware. This could be a digital needle in a city of haystacks. I wish them all the luck in the world, and my love for Sony probably won't wane TOO much considering I at least know of the challenges of programming. But **bleep**. This could go very, very ugly for them.

Guys. If you're reading this, then do this: Inhale. Hold. Exhale. Drink coffee. And try to think of what YOU KNOW that could be causing this. God, I do not want to be in your shoes right now.

Good analysis, but the issue is simpler than this.  Just re-release 4.41 but change the name to 4.46 without changing any of the code.  That way, people can still play their games while they search for a permanent fix.

Message 1644 of 4,407 (885 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

Jun 19, 2013

MADGAME wrote:

This is terrible. With next-gen right around the corner, this is making me re-think my decision of buying a PS4. I've had so much fun with the PS3, but this is unaccptable. A flawed firmware bricking consoles is bad enough, but Sony is not even doing a SIMPLE ROLLBACK to fix the issue. This is 100% possible, and very easy to do. 

If this outage goes on past today without a rollback I'm going to vote with my wallet. Please jam my own words back in my face, Sony. 

Sony doesn't need customer like you, so I do hope you move on to another company. You say you love the system but are ready to jump ship after a 24 hour outage? Screw off then.

Message 1645 of 4,407 (793 Views)
Monster Hunter
35 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

That is so funny, I was just saying that to my buddy.

"Why don't they just have 4.41 renamed to 4.46, so the UPDATE in safe mode works..."

He agreed!

I logged on here and that same idead was just posted.

We are so smart!

Message 1646 of 4,407 (694 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Im trying to be rational about all of this , but trying is about as far as it gets. Sony released more & more Digital content, full games,many on release date,some of them very big as well. As an eager customer , I bought thier goods . I knew , and they knew , that I would need a decent size HDD to download to. So 1Tb is not excessive.

Knowing this , why hasn't adequate testing been done on larger HDD's ? Who is responsible if my £80.00 HDD is only fit for the bin ? Why do I feel totally disregarded by Sony ? Ive been with them since launch date,am a Plus member,have just under a thousand items on my d/load list.Yet im hearing next to nothing about the issue from them, and im not alone.

Im feeling a bit 'put out' by it all.

Message 1647 of 4,407 (675 Views)
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jun 19, 2013

That's already been stated a hundred times. But please refer to the "Code interacting with other code" part. For all we know, even reverting will have the bugged issue still in. Unless the quasi 4.41/.46 update can unequivocally delete ALL instances of the bad code, you may be staring at worse issues. What's worse than a non-responsive brick? A non-responsive brick with bad BIOS settings that turns your fan off or changes voltage settings or god knows what else. No. What SCEA needs to do is find out what exactly did it, or your brick could be updated, then turn on only to become a smoking, flaming brick shooting sparks.

!
Message 1648 of 4,407 (670 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
39 posts

Jun 19, 2013

goldenratio13 wrote:

JWHigdon21 wrote:

Good analysis, but the issue is simpler than this.  Just re-release 4.41 but change the name to 4.46 without changing any of the code.  That way, people can still play their games while they search for a permanent fix.

Do you honestly think that if it was that simple they wouldn't have done that by now? I mean really?

Message 1649 of 4,407 (666 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Not that it matters since my post is pages back but what I meant was if I was in the shoes of the engineers this is how I would be troubleshooting the problem. Also I'm just gonna wait it out like everyone else. When reformatting the hard drive doesn't fix the problem then yeah learn from other's mistakes and wait it out. This many comments and no feedback from an official source means this is just a soapbox. One other question though- what happens to the people that did successfully upgrade? Will they just stay the course or have to update also whenever the patch finally does come out? 

Message 1650 of 4,407 (649 Views)
0 Likes