Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 05 2013
By: jakjac First Son 2 posts

Re-balled Re-pasted ps3 60gb still overheating please help

8 replies 131 views Edited Apr 5, 2013

Heya im after some advise, i have a reballed ps3 60gb its fan had been getting progressively louder till a piont it was becoming so loud it was on max power in about 3 mins. I decided since it wasnt really usable that i should open it up and change the thermal paste. The paste by the company who reballed  was kind of over applyed i cleaned it up with medical alchol as we cant get isoprol alchol in the uk and used a some artic colling mx-4 using the rice way seen of youtube. Put it back together but had YLOD but after hunch replaced power supply with cooler APS 231 and still have loud fan in 3  and over heating in 6 mins. Any ideas is it sensor i have tryied everything, and it was well cleaned when i took it apart.

Thanks for your advise 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1450 posts

Re: Re-balled Re-pasted ps3 60gb still overheating please help

Apr 5, 2013

More than likely failing fan.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (123 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16316 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Are you sure it was a reball and not a reflow? Either way why wouldn't you get the original repair shop involved instead of trying to fix it yourself? Didn't they give a warranty or has it already expired?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

Reballed means reburbished in the US, and the PS3 60 GB was made in 2007 so I doubt it's under warranty from Sony unless they purchased a special plan from the seller.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (110 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16316 posts

Apr 5, 2013

tracerwilly wrote:

Reballed means reburbished in the US, and the PS3 60 GB was made in 2007 so I doubt it's under warranty LOL.

That's not what reballed means at all. Any repair shop should offer a warranty on their services. You have nothing to LOL about except perhaps your own ignorance.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (107 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

ne1atall wrote:
That's not what reballed means at all. Any repair shop should offer a warranty on their services. You have nothing to LOL about except perhaps your own ignorance.

As far as I'm concerned...diassembly of a PS3 in order to do anything to it makes it a refurbished PS3 LOL.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 5, 2013

could just be a bad thermistor(sensor) for the fan control and maybe you just need to put on a variable speed control..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (98 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Yeah i wanted to be able to keep something that would play upscaled ps2 games. I spent a long time looking for somewhere that would actualy reball (solder swapped for leaded) ,  they gave a genuine 6th month warrenty that you just couldent get for a reflow. Anyway follwing some of your thoughts i tryied to test the sensor/fan. I wanted to see if it would still the it would go crazy if it was genuinly really cold opened my windows and exposed to some good old britsh weather  (not hanging it out the window i wouldent do that to my baby lmao). Ran marginally less crazy about 1/2 fan step down. So i think it is the sensor anyway not to sure about the varible sensor is there way i can repair/ replace the original one?

Thanks for all the advise btw 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 7, 2013

your best bet would just to add on a variable control to bypass the bad sensors...

PCB.jpg

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (71 Views)
0 Likes