Fender Bender
4175 posts

Re: Someone Rich, Please Sue Sony

Apr 1, 2010

NeoX360 wrote:

You will be able to continue to use Linux and you will be able to continue to play some games but you will not be able to:

• Play online multi-player via PSN.
  • Purchase PSN store content
  • Sync your trophies
  • Use DRM based games that require PSN login
  • Play newly released games that will require 3.21

I would hardly call that normal operation. 

moot point, this is true of any PS3 FW update (apart from the ones released as optional that do not affect one's access to the above)

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 40 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
458 posts

Apr 1, 2010

ziggurcat wrote:

NeoX360 wrote:

You will be able to continue to use Linux and you will be able to continue to play some games but you will not be able to:

• Play online multi-player via PSN.
  • Purchase PSN store content
  • Sync your trophies
  • Use DRM based games that require PSN login
  • Play newly released games that will require 3.21

I would hardly call that normal operation. 

moot point, this is true of any PS3 FW update (apart from the ones released as optional that do not affect one's access to the above)

True, but legally they can not make us choose between two sityuation that result in loss of features.

Q29. Will Linux OS be adopted as you have planned ?
A29. Yes. PS3 is a computer system and Linux OS is adopted as one of the standard OSes.
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 40 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Apr 1, 2010

I'm not rich, but I am putting together a class action lawsuit and will post information here unless my account gets banned for this post.  I paid a lot of money for my original PS3, not this cheep slim BS.  I was sold my PS3 with the option of using another os and now they are taking that away.  My main PC's motherboard was fired last week and until I replace it I only have this netbook, which does not like being hooked up to a 1080p HDTV.  It sounds crazy, but the other os feature was a lifesaver.  I don’t frequent the forums, but today I turned on my PS3 and was locked out of PSN because I refuse to remove a feature that was sold with my PS3?  I have spent a LOT of money in PS Home and will not be able to use now?  I can no longer play online?  All because some little punk kid tried to hack their PS3?  Burn in hell Sony that’s not my problem.  I have never done anything illegal with any of my gaming systems and am not going to suffer because you are worried you will lose out on a profit. 

Think of it this way, what if you bought a car, then the company asked you to come in for a recall which would remove the AC option; and if you did not do the recall they would send a remote signal to your car and make it so you can't drive over 45mph.

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 40 (6 Views)
Wastelander
637 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Thalinor wrote:

I'm not rich, but I am putting together a class action lawsuit and will post information here unless my account gets banned for this post.  I paid a lot of money for my original PS3, not this cheep slim BS.  I was sold my PS3 with the option of using another os and now they are taking that away.  My main PC's motherboard was fired last week and until I replace it I only have this netbook, which does not like being hooked up to a 1080p HDTV.  It sounds crazy, but the other os feature was a lifesaver.  I don’t frequent the forums, but today I turned on my PS3 and was locked out of PSN because I refuse to remove a feature that was sold with my PS3?  I have spent a LOT of money in PS Home and will not be able to use now?  I can no longer play online?  All because some little punk kid tried to hack their PS3?  Burn in hell Sony that’s not my problem.  I have never done anything illegal with any of my gaming systems and am not going to suffer because you are worried you will lose out on a profit. 

Think of it this way, what if you bought a car, then the company asked you to come in for a recall which would remove the AC option; and if you did not do the recall they would send a remote signal to your car and make it so you can't drive over 45mph.

Exactly.  I mean at the very least you could yell "Anti-competive business practices".  The only settlemet I want from Sony is to keep using 3.15 or put it back into a futre update.  I won't update my PS3...Oh and I wanted to buy Fat Princess but now I won't...sorry Sony you lost my cash!

BTW: If you do this I'd be trying to yank George Hotz(Geohot) in to testify.  I want the court to know how much Sony is overracting!

Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
(have fun MMO players ^^)

Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr/Quetzalcoatl
Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 40 (6 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
174 posts

Apr 1, 2010

DJAzzurro wrote:

What Sony did is perfectly within their legal business rights. If you sue Sony, you will lose. 100% guaranteed.

<Sigh>

Claim: Read the ToS/EULA! This provision X and Y states that they can do this and this!

Refuting Argument: The ToS/EULA does not supercede Federal Law. If Federal Law deems it illegal, the ToS/EULA doesn't have any legal foothold. AJaecyn42 puts it simply:

THERE IS A HIERARCHY TO LAW:

FEDERAL LAW>STATE LAW>LOCAL ORDINANCES>PRIVATE CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENTS

(Protip: Notice the inequality signs)

----------------------

Claim: Sony did not violate the law. Linux wasn't even a core feature! There's no false advertising or Bait and Switch. 

Refuting Argument:  Quoting Jaecyn42:

"The FTC defines "advertisement" as "any form of public notice however disseminated or utilized."  In this case, the second  Sony owned and maintained website, detailing how to install an alternate OS on a PS3.  In a legal sense, Other OS is an  advertisement feature of the applicable models of the Sony PS3."

In simple English, when Sony put that Linux is available in the Operating Manual, it is a public notice to the consumer that the feature is readily available and can be used by you, the customer, who bought this product. So yes, explicitly or not, under the law, it was advertised.

-----------------------

Claim: But you have the option of choosing whether to keep the 'ability' to have Linux or not. 

Refuting Argument: This is where the issue of Bait and Switch comes in. Officially stated, it is as follows:

Sec. 238.4 Switch after sale.

No practice should be pursued by an advertiser, in the event of sale of the advertised product, of "unselling" with the intent and  purpose of selling other merchandise in its stead. Among acts or practices which will be considered in determining if the initial  sale was in good faith, and not a stratagem to sell other merchandise, are:

(a) Accepting a deposit for the advertised product, then switching the purchaser to a higher-priced product,

(b) Failure to make delivery of the advertised product within a reasonable time or to make a refund,

(c) Disparagement by acts or words of the advertised product, or the disparagement of the guarantee, credit terms, availability of service, repairs, or in any other respect, in connection with it,

(d) The delivery of the advertised product which is defective, unusable or impractical for the purpose represented or  implied in the advertisement.

In simple English, this means you can't take away advertised functions (we established that Linux was an advertised function with the above refutation) at a later date. Now either way, choosing to install or not install doesn't matter. Either way, you lose an advertised functionality. 

If you install you lose: Linux

If you don't install, you lose: Ability to play any PS3 games and Blu-ray movies that require firmware 3.21 or higher.

Any further software support from Sony. 

Losing access or not to PSN is irrelevant seeing how that is a service and is not inherently part of the good that was advertised. Either way you lose one of these advertised features and your PS3 inevitably turns into a different product than what was once intended for it to be. (As in not once how it was advertised to be.). When you initially bought it, it was Product A. Now it has turned into Product B where it is essentially Product A with some advertised features removed. The wording of 'Optional' is just a guise in place of 'Mandatory if you value these functions of your PS3'. 

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 40 (6 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Exactly, I just want the feature back.  I am not trying to make money, everyone knows in a class action the only people who make money are the lawyers.  I just want them not to remove a feature that came with my PS3.  To make matters worse, I am screwed twice if I install this update, not only does it remove the other os feature, but now I have to reformat my PS3 or lose out on that 10gb of space.  Because the PS3 won’t read any file system other then fat, and because you can’t format a large hd with fat as it does not support anything over 40~ gb, I can no longer back up my system.  This update forces me to choose losing out on both a feature that came with my PS3 as well as 10GB on the HD, or lose out on the online component as well as losing all my downloaded add-ons totaling well over $100 ($60+ just in Tiger Woods 10 courses!)

My 500gb external hard drive for my PC is near full.  Does Sony really expect me to reformat (and loose all that data) the external hard drive, just so I can partition it with a 30gb fat partition, then back up my PS3 data, reformat the PS3 losing a feature that came with the device, and take the time to load back on the backup?  It’s not as simple as just using the backup feature; it’s a real pain in the butt.  The people here who don’t care are those who don’t use the other os feature, but to you people all I can say is I can't wait till some little brat kid finds a way to hack the PS3 using the blueray player and Sony decides to lock it down too, or any other feature they feel like!  Will you be ok with it then?  You only care about yourself and can’t think of anyone else; stupid little fanboy trolls.  If you have never had to backup more then a few GB of data on your PS3 then you have no idea how much of a pain it can be as well as how time consuming.

Furthermore, if the PS3 is nothing more than a gaming unit, then its junk and the worse system out there.  Most of the games are not 1080p like the "other system" I own and look WORSE on the PS3 because most developers are porting them over instead of making them for this hardware.  FF13 was the first game I have seen that looked better on the PS3 then the "other" system I use, and that’s because it was designed for the PS3.  That’s rare.  I bought my PS3 for not only these other features but to play online with friends that did not have the "other" system that I own.  I only buy PS3 games that they plan on playing online or exclusives, any other game I usually pick up in the "other" system format.  Until Sony convinces game developers to actually design games correctly for the PS3, its these other features like other os that make the PS3 worth using, and by removing these features they are screwing paying customers.

I am looking at an XBR4 that I paid $3000 for as well as a $1200 Sony DSLR.  I am sure if I walk around the house I can find a lot of things I spent good money on with the name Sony on them.  You will not get a single dime out of me further till you put this feature back.  If you keep up this nonsense I will never buy another Sony product and do my best to spread the word to others as well.  

The lawyer I talked to this morning called back after doing some research and would like to meet this Friday.  You will be getting sued. 

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 40 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
671 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Motopsycho650 wrote:

I am not a rich man, but I know some of you are.

PLEASE, someone SUE Sony over the removal of the Other OS feature.  This is a direct violation of our Comsumer Rights.  They had a feature that was advertised publicly, and then they took it away.  That is a classic bait & switch tactic and is ILLEGAL.

I don't have the money to sue, but I know someone does.

If Sony gets away with ILLEGAL buisness, they will continue ILLEGAL buisness.

I am not going to state weather something is legal or not because I am not a lawyer.

But my guess is Sony has quite a few and they discussed this with them before they made the move.

I'd say there is a pretty good chance that this falls within their legal rights.

Not once did I ever see the otherOS feature advertised so it seems like they should be able to remove it to me.

This is about piracy and a physical hardware security risk that can be eliminated by removing this feature.

You can't patch hardware issues my friends so Sony had no choice.

If you care about piracy you would understand why Sony did what they did.  Anyway, until these little commie **bleep** stop trying to steal things that are not theirs we will never get to have cool opensource stuff like this.  I am sure Sony is slowly learning a lesson here.  Provide an open platform and people will take advantage of it.  Corporations are not evil, people are.  95% of the people on this planet produce nothing yet think they have a right to everything.  Of course Corporations are made up of people, so I guess people hate themselves but I digress.

You want to blame someone blame the hackers that like to think they are intelligent.  They of course are overrated because anyone with a comp eng or comp sci background could do this given the time.  They are just little commie **bleep** without jobs and taking it out on everyone else because they are ugly, have no social skills and can't get laid.  They are also to lazy and "anti-establishment" to use their talents to get a real job and produce something for themselves and society.  I hope they burn in hell the little thieving **bleep**!  Every breath they take is one to many.

My playstation ID is : Rwarner174
Feel free to add me to you PSN friend list.
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 40 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Apr 1, 2010

@ Rwarner174

Don't tell me you are ignorant enough to think that big corporations do not do illegal things with the intent to make money?  No this never happens.  Toyota did not release that internal memo bragging how much money they were making off of people dying due to the faulty gas pedal.  AIG did not take millions in bailout money and then go on a $300,000 spa trip in CA.  Big companies always follow the law and never try and hose the public.  You are right, what are we thinking?  Where is the cliff, I need to follow you lemmings off of it; I am sure Sony has set up a nice big cushy pillow at the bottom for us to land safely.  Nothing to worry about just put all your trust in a big corporation to make legal and morally correct decisions.

The only thing Sony is worried about is losing money to piracy; it’s not about our privacy.  I don't pirate games and would not do so even if there WAS an option so I could care less.  It's Sony's problem not mine until they go and illegally remove features that I paid for in my PS3.  Instead of locking down and removing features from those of us legally using out PS3 why don't they spend their time and money combating the real problem; people doing illegal things.  The engineers at Sony are smart people; they could find a way to fix this problem without removing the other os feature.  This is just a quick cheep fix that goes to show how lazy they are when it comes to fixing these problems.

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 40 (6 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Apr 1, 2010

its not like they took it away from you!!  sony left u with two options

1. you update and lose your other os but stay online

and

2. dont update and keep your prescious other os but lose your online because you need the new update.

they gave you a choice so if you upgraded you took you other os away so quit complaining

ps. sony was not going around advertising it like it was the best feature of the system. it was just a feature that was there! they dont pride themselves for the other os they pride theselves on the free online and blueray.

o and u dont have to be rich to sue you just have to know what u are doing.

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 40 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2186 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Little_Ducky wrote:

its not like they took it away from you!!  sony left u with two options

1. you update and lose your other os but stay online

and

2. dont update and keep your prescious other os but lose your online because you need the new update.

they gave you a choice so if you upgraded you took you other os away so quit complaining

ps. sony was not going around advertising it like it was the best feature of the system. it was just a feature that was there! they dont pride themselves for the other os they pride theselves on the free online and blueray.

o and u dont have to be rich to sue you just have to know what u are doing.

I love using this quote so much, I put it in my sig now

One of the most powerful things about the PS3 is the "Install Other OS" option. It won't be Vista. It'll be Linux. ~ Phil Harrison - DICE 2007

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 40 (6 Views)