Uncharted Territory
1631 posts

Re: Sony settles with Geo.

Apr 13, 2011

Geohot got off lucky, it's a shame sony didn't choose to bankrupt him. He's just a egotistical pirate..

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1507 posts

Apr 14, 2011

WHEN SONY WINS...WE ALL WIN....GOOD STUFF....        502A051yLeq.jpg

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Apr 15, 2011

slo5oh wrote:

There was a very interesting post by GeoHot that he thought better of and deleted.  Anyone want to bet on how long it takes for the xperia play to be jailbroken?  I'll bet less than 24 hours.  Good thing it's legal to jailbreak phones.

We have received your complaint. Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

Well since Geo signed the Settlement where it says he will no longer touch another sony product, and he even signed up to boycott sony products, means any hacking on his part will result on him having to pay sony lots of money. So no hacking from geo any time soon. As for the phone if it does get hacked there is a good chance that the phone will no longer have access to the psn for content and since its a phone with a wireless phone connection the psn can run a check to see if cfw is on the phone and will most likely no longer access the psn. wich says the person getting the phone will have lost what they mostly got the phone for wich is to get sony games.

Which goes back to the many times i have said this before, losing access to the psn will hurt more then help when hacking is involved. If you pay to play games and to get download content from sony and you hack it means you lose that access. So if anything happens you cant get any more of that content or the content you already paid for. So why take the chance.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Apr 16, 2011

slo5oh wrote:

You HAVE seen that people can unban their consoles, right?  As far as "if" the phone gets hacked?  I assure you it will. None of the jailbreak teams are happy with Sony over the childish games they played on geohot. The xperia play has a bullseye on it. I guess we'll see how the whole psn thing plays out though.  Gee, I wonder what people with root access to their phone will do when Sony removes the ability to purchase and play games. Of course they won't pirate them.

We have received your complaint. Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

Last i looked many ppl have tried to unban their consol and have been rebanned right away unless they officialy get rid of the cfw. As long as they are running ofw then sony will let them back on the psn. But really its a big cat and mouse game between the hackers and spoofed ip addresses, but sony has been doing well on blocking ip addresses.

Look you just go believe what you want and just wait and see what happens. But since Geo lost he will not be attempting to hack any sony product, it dont mean other hackers wont, but the main player in all of this cant even do anything about the new phone. So really who really cares if a hacker tries to hack their phone. If a person spend so much money to get a phone just to hack it, then so be it and they will have to live with what ever they chose to do and also if they get cut off from the psn in the oprocess, then thats their own fault.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1656 posts

Apr 17, 2011

You dont really have to jailbreak a phone running android software.  Android is pretty much open source unlike the Iphone.  Motorolla is really the only manufacturer locking down the bootloader in their Droid phones.  I have a Droid X and have not had a problem doing anything I want on it.  All you have to do is download a free app from the store and root it.  In fact I have Android 2.3 on my X and it hasnt even been released yet.  So the fact that Sony has given access to the bootloader on and Android OS device does not surprise me in the least.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Apr 17, 2011

watsuke wrote:

Here we go with the whole "precedence" thing again.

The only reason George won the jailbreak case is because it allowed people to use the phone with a different carrier service. NOT because "I just wanted to." Which is in fact the ONLY reason George had for hacking the PS3 in the first place.

I guess you could say he just wanted otheros back, but that would make you reek of BS. How could he be hacking a console prior to the removal of otheros, to get back a feature that isnt gone? Yeah, doesnt make much sense.

The utter BS George spews is disgusting. Its even worse when people are licking it up like its candy.

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."

A jailbreak is not an unlock.  Carrier unlock is something entirely different.  My iPhone is jailbroken, but not unlocked.

The decision, part of a process that takes place every three years, said that bypassing a manufacturer's protection mechanisms to allow "handsets to execute software applications" is permissible.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20011661-38.html#ixzz1JMkNthv1

But nice try anyway.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Apr 17, 2011

I suspect s0ny sat down, realized if they were in a lawsuit with Geohot, he would have jailbroken the xperia on release day.  And there wouldn't have been a damn thing they could have done about it.  That, and I suspect that sony may have not won this suit and if that were to happen, a precident would have been set.  This actually benefits s0ny far more than a lawsuit would have.  Too bad for everyone that was hoping and squealing that geohot would be sued back to the stone age.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Apr 17, 2011

cantwin4losing2 wrote:

You should drag it out to make this kid pay.  Sony has the money....  This guy won't stop, i bet he's going to go after other companies now.  I wanted to see him do some time. 

He never would have done time.  It was a civil, not a criminal suit.  And I agree.  They should have drug it out.  If they had lost, it really would have set a precidence.

Do you even know who GeoHot is?  Ever hear of a company called Apple?  He was the first to jailbreak the iPhone.  s0ny wasn't his first BBQ.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Apr 17, 2011

You HAVE seen that people can unban their consoles, right?  As far as "if" the phone gets hacked?  I assure you it will. None of the jailbreak teams are happy with Sony over the childish games they played on geohot. The xperia play has a bullseye on it. I guess we'll see how the whole psn thing plays out though.  Gee, I wonder what people with root access to their phone will do when Sony removes the ability to purchase and play games. Of course they won't pirate them.

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Apr 17, 2011

There was a very interesting post by GeoHot that he thought better of and deleted.  Anyone want to bet on how long it takes for the xperia play to be jailbroken?  I'll bet less than 24 hours.  Good thing it's legal to jailbreak phones.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 32 (4 Views)
0 Likes