Sep 10 2012
By: bumrocks First Son 3 posts

System Update with Basic Wired Controller

4 replies 235 views Edited Sep 10, 2012

I am not able to play some newer Blu Ray movies and was told that i need to update my systems software.  According to the intructions i need to use a wireless controller that is connected with a usb cable (not wirelessly).  Is this the only way?  Can i not use a "basic wired contoller"?

I have actually read two conflicting directions.  One says it has to be a wireless controller with no mention of it being connected directly (true wireless) and the other says to be certain to use a wireless controller that is connected directly to unit (with cable).

Can someone please clarify?  I do not even have a wireless controller and need to know if i am being forced to go buy one.

Thanks!

//bum

Message 1 of 5 (235 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18760 posts

Re: System Update with Basic Wired Controller

Sep 10, 2012

Are we talking about a PS3 system?  If you are talking about Bluray player device then either state what brand and model or go to the manufacturer's website and look under support.

If it happens to be a PS3 system then yeah you will need a Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controller.  During the update process you will need it to follow on screen prompts. Depending the task at hand the PS3 will require you to either just turn the controller on OR to connect it via USB and then turn it on. This is because the wireless card is off thus PS3 isn't able to communicate with the controller. Normally system updates don't require for you to connect the controller via USB to the PS3. With that said, it is wise to keep a PS3 controller around.

Check your local gamestop and see if they still sell Sixasix or see how cheap their used DS3 controller are

Here is where you get the update. [Read the page for you must save the file under a specific folder hierarchy] http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 5 (220 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Sep 10, 2012
Yes, this is for the PS3. Thanks for responding as I am doing this for a friend and after explaining to him that it appeared I needed a wireless controller he responded that it did not make sense that I needed this and to go ahead and perform the update without one. I will now inform him of what you said. Many thanks again!
Message 3 of 5 (217 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19748 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 11, 2012

You don't need a DS3 or SixAxis controller to perform a system update.  The manual uses that as an example because the PS3 comes with one, so Sony assumes that you have one of those. You can do it with any device that can control the XMB; including a USB game controller, USB keyboard, Bluetooth keyboard, PS3 Blu-ray remote, or Playstation Move.  If you do use a DS3 or SixAxis, it doesn't matter whether or not it is connected to the PS3 by a USB cable.  You can update the system just fine using the controllers wirelessly.

GKP
Message 4 of 5 (195 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Sep 11, 2012

lol!  Well now he has a new (used from Gamestop) wireless controller and I have completed the update successfully and confirmed that it does now play the blu-ray DVD that would not play before.  I guess he can now decide if he wants/needs the controller or does he want to return it at this point, if able.  Either way, I appreciate the help and feedback!

Message 5 of 5 (189 Views)
0 Likes