Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Re: What Is Cinavia I Keep Hearing About?

Jul 26, 2010
Let's be honest here, Cinavia DRM on PS3 isn't gonna make one movie pirate run out and start buying movies. Plain and simple!

It just made me a legit customer sell both of their PS3's and made it a point to not purchase a PS4. I replaced the PS3's with a small server in the living room and the other system which takes care of my needs of instant movie entertainment of backups of legally purchased movies and the minor gaming I do. I got my PSN game investment back when I sold the systems with the games on them so who cares.

All Sony did to me with PS3 is take away things I used and ways I legally use the machine in my own living room. I voted with my wallet and will do so in the future and don't need a corporate baby sitter in my own home.

"I still have an Atari 2600 from 1980 that has never went bad!"
Message 21 of 69 (495 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3221 posts

Jul 26, 2010

ghostraider1 wrote:

One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

Wow. What a bunch of self-serving garbage. We're not talking about the civil rights movement or anything. You're willing to be a martyr for the cause of digital backups? Wonderful for you. Except that what you're talking about isn't a selfless act, since the law you're breaking is for your own personal benefit. Highest respect for the law? Nice try. The law may seem unfair, but it's not unconscionable.

Kiltron999 wrote:

All Sony did to me with PS3 is take away things I used and ways I legally use the machine in my own living room.

Despite the fact that you keep ignoring my posts to the contrary, your use of the PS3 in this situation isn't a legal one. Normally, I wouldn't give a rat's behind whether or not you used it illegally, but you're trying to come on here and drum up support for your crusade, blaming Sony for making it harder for you to break the law. Vote with your wallet if you want to, but don't try to play the victim here.

Game 1: Giants 11-7 Rangers       Game 4: Giants 4-0 Rangers            GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
Game 2: Giants 9-0 Rangers         Game 5: Giants 3-1 Rangers                             2010 Champs!
Game 3: Rangers 4-2 Giants
Go Giants!

PyrrhusRex Trophy Card

| Uncharted 2 Stats | Learn to Google |

Modern War Gear Solid

Message 22 of 69 (495 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Jul 26, 2010
Look, I'm a user of 3.15 I held to that because I wanted to keep a feature I paid for, that was the most extreme thing I've seen Sony do, and I stood up for my rights. some people here updated and regret it some for the loss of OtherOS, and apparently some due to this new DRM, Honestly I wouldn't think too much of this DRM, if this firmware is going to be part of the Blu-ray spec Generation 1 Blu-ray players (non PS3) will have to support this DRM as well, some of those players barely played when they only used AACS, then they added BD+, how well do you think those players will work with this new DRM? honestly it might be implented in the PS3 and a handful of BD movies will use it but I think it will blow over.

I hate to say this but once you updated you made a choice and that choice may or may not be something you regret, I know I don't reget staying with 3.15.
Message 23 of 69 (495 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Jul 26, 2010

PyrrhusRex wrote:

ghostraider1 wrote:

One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

Wow. What a bunch of self-serving garbage. We're not talking about the civil rights movement or anything. You're willing to be a martyr for the cause of digital backups? Wonderful for you. Except that what you're talking about isn't a selfless act, since the law you're breaking is for your own personal benefit. Highest respect for the law? Nice try. The law may seem unfair, but it's not unconscionable.

Kiltron999 wrote:

All Sony did to me with PS3 is take away things I used and ways I legally use the machine in my own living room.

Despite the fact that you keep ignoring my posts to the contrary, your use of the PS3 in this situation isn't a legal one. Normally, I wouldn't give a rat's behind whether or not you used it illegally, but you're trying to come on here and drum up support for your crusade, blaming Sony for making it harder for you to break the law. Vote with your wallet if you want to, but don't try to play the victim here.

Don't play the victim? Dude your'e clearly out of the loop with what everyone goes through with the PS3 who isn't a sheep.

1) Removed Linux from my PS3 (though I had the option to or not but if I didn't there goes the usage of $500 worth of PSN games)

2) Purchased games from PSN and nowhere in the description was I told I needed to be connected online to even launch the games.

3) Installed Cinavia DRM without being told about it when I upgraded to that firmware. (or I would not have)

Does MS or Apple force me to update my PC and MAC with **bleep** I don't want every so many months? No! If I don't want something on my PS3 I nor anyone else shouldn't be given an ultimatum either do this or lose this. Leave the machine people bought alone and if they choose to update then they will at their leisure. It's like I had a bunch of suits standing in the room with me every time I used the PS3 baby sitting me and making sure I used the PS3 the way they want me to and to a point I used it the way it allowed me to without tampering.

Last update was a forced update. Did I really have to be forced to install a video editor and uploader? I didn't want about 80% of things I was forced to install on the PS3 to make it a bloated **bleep**box. Not why I bought a PS3 but now I know why I won't get a PS4.

No I'm not condoning piracy of any sort but my business is my business, I'm not stealing, not costing any companies money, not gaining anything but as with all DRM it will be gone and I'm looking forward to it. I probably wouldn't feel that way if I wasn't bullied by some corporation over something I paid for "twice"!

Yeah not a victim of corporate home invasion at all.

Message 24 of 69 (495 Views)
Fender Bender
3221 posts

Jul 26, 2010

Kiltron999 wrote:

Don't play the victim? Dude your'e clearly out of the loop with what everyone goes through with the PS3 who isn't a sheep.

Way to extrapolate. This thread, your post, and my response were all about the Cinavia DRM. Not anything else.

If you want to claim to be a victim when you think Sony broke the law, then fine, be my guest (though in a different thread, please). If you want to claim to be a victim when Sony is *upholding* the law, then you're a few fries short of a happy meal.

If you try to claim both in the same post, then, well, you're just a hypocrit.

Game 1: Giants 11-7 Rangers       Game 4: Giants 4-0 Rangers            GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
Game 2: Giants 9-0 Rangers         Game 5: Giants 3-1 Rangers                             2010 Champs!
Game 3: Rangers 4-2 Giants
Go Giants!

PyrrhusRex Trophy Card

| Uncharted 2 Stats | Learn to Google |

Modern War Gear Solid

Message 25 of 69 (495 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Jul 26, 2010

UH...

PS3 MEDIA SERVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photobucket
Message 26 of 69 (495 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Jul 26, 2010

I didn't claim both so FAIL!

I bought my PS3's, I didn't rent them.

Message 27 of 69 (495 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Jul 26, 2010

Kiltron999 wrote:
Let's be honest here, Cinavia DRM on PS3 isn't gonna make one movie pirate run out and start buying movies. Plain and simple!

It just made me a legit customer sell both of their PS3's and made it a point to not purchase a PS4. I replaced the PS3's with a small server in the living room and the other system which takes care of my needs of instant movie entertainment of backups of legally purchased movies and the minor gaming I do. I got my PSN game investment back when I sold the systems with the games on them so who cares.

All Sony did to me with PS3 is take away things I used and ways I legally use the machine in my own living room. I voted with my wallet and will do so in the future and don't need a corporate baby sitter in my own home.

so... because you failed to understand what the DRM was actually doing, you sold your PS3s.  for nothing, at that. 

amir hit the nail right on the head with this:

"A direct back up of the film would work and this watermark would not affect playback. When you make a backup, it is the exact same as the original, so since the audio format used would be the same, a back up would also not be affected. So if you are copying an original, no problem. HOWEVER, if the content on the disc is distributed digitally and someone changes the audio format to make the file smaller and easier to distribute, that is when the disc will no longer work."

Message 28 of 69 (495 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Jul 26, 2010

I don't care. They need to give us the option to uninstall it too. This is MY PS3! NOT SONYS!

" They must find it difficult....Those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority."
Message 29 of 69 (495 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Jul 26, 2010

I didn't fail to understand what the DRM was doing but more a matter of just growing tired of Sony controlling the machines in my house. Simple concept really. You don't like what is going on, you get rid of the problem and go with something else that you have control over.

If amir is correct then why implement the DRM in the first place if a direct backup is able to be made and watched? I thought this was in place to prevent piracy? So basically what your saying is so and so DVD or BD has Cinavia DRM but I can make a direct copy and still watch it? How does this prevent piracy then?

Don't get me wrong though I did like the PS3 enough to buy two of them but it is more like I said I was tired of Sony controlling my living room. Once we have the option to roll back firmware (and it is gonna happen very soon) then I'll consider buying another PS3 but for now, no need for them in my home as they don't fit my lifestyle anymore and probably wouldn't even further down the road with some other firmware I'd be forced to upgrade too.

Message 30 of 69 (495 Views)
0 Likes