Wastelander
918 posts

Re: When is the update that bricks the B/C PS3?

Apr 23, 2010

Sony is still killing off the Linux users. Once they are successful with their current genocide, I'm sure they'll move on to a broader spectrum of PS3 users to exploit for features.

---------------------------------------------------------

“Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.” – Geoff Levand
Message 21 of 32 (6 Views)
Sackboy
423 posts

Apr 23, 2010

I don't know when they might kill your ps3's ps2, but if they do, I already know what their excuse will be: because CECH-A and -B can be swap-magicked for ps2 "backups." Turned out they run in a "ps2 mode" which the HV ignores.

In other words, they'll invoke their holy crusade to stop piracy. Even though it's well over a year since launch models were successfully swapped. And even though you don't see them trying to stop piracy on the ps2 itself.

Message 22 of 32 (6 Views)
Fender Bender
3033 posts

Apr 23, 2010
Whenever your mind says it is...live in fear forever.

Fix your DS3/SixAxis-Boomer since 2,736

Message 23 of 32 (6 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Apr 23, 2010

I just recently had my PS3 break down due to YLOD, 60GB backwards compatibility January '07 model. Did the whole reflux thing almost 2 weeks ago and it's running fine right now. Personally I don't care about the Other OS feature, it wasn't that impressive and I never used it anyway. I only got the PS3 for the BC feature. Come October I'm upgrading to a slim model probably, but for now I'll just reflow my system if it breaks down again. Maybe send it to a company to get it reballed. Anyway I can understand some people's gripes about the Other OS removal, it was a feature added they removed later. However I think it is getting out of hand. Again a feature as other said that was rarely used by most. Somehow I think most people are complaining because they wanted to use it to exploit the PS3 for hacking purpose, those individuals don't give a damn about using the feature as it was meant to be used.

EDIT: By the way, before the flaming begins, note I said most people. No doubt alot of individuals that did use the Other OS feature wanted it for Linux specifically, or if they didn't use it, are angry because of the principal of promising something then taking it away.

Message 24 of 32 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
910 posts

Apr 23, 2010

AR_Kozz wrote:

I don't know when they might kill your ps3's ps2, but if they do, I already know what their excuse will be: because CECH-A and -B can be swap-magicked for ps2 "backups." Turned out they run in a "ps2 mode" which the HV ignores.

In other words, they'll invoke their holy crusade to stop piracy. Even though it's well over a year since launch models were successfully swapped. And even though you don't see them trying to stop piracy on the ps2 itself.

Nice one, "holy crusade to stop piracy." It has rather become that across the board hasn't it? All these companies tying themselves in knots over the imaginary money they've convinced themselves they're 'losing.'

Message 25 of 32 (6 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
243 posts

Apr 23, 2010

Criticalfrimmel wrote:

AR_Kozz wrote:

Nice one, "holy crusade to stop piracy." It has rather become that across the board hasn't it? All these companies tying themselves in knots over the imaginary money they've convinced themselves they're 'losing.'

Most insightful post I've read all day.

Message 26 of 32 (6 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1175 posts

Apr 24, 2010

,HeavenlyLeah wrote:
Wow, I cannot believe you people are still going on about the removal of one feature that was rarely used. We are all upset by the decision made but the only thing to do is move on. May I suggest a different console? ,

Fanboys are still out in force.

ファンボイを殺す!
Message 27 of 32 (6 Views)
Lombax Warrior
203 posts

May 7, 2010

Nascar24Dude wrote:

Teus wrote:

savethezombies wrote:

wikichu wrote:

Just kind of curious as to when Sony is going to launch that bricking update and take away the backwards compatibility.

As soon as they start selling ps2 titles on PSN.

that will never happen... all ps3s that supported ps2 games still relied on a hardware component..

with that said sony wont remove ps2 functionality from the consoles that support it

That's not necessarily true.  The PS3 can currently play PS1 and PS3 games downloaded from the Playstation Store.  If nothing else, they can re-format a PS2 game into PS3 game format and release it on the Store.  It would definitely require extra work; but it can happen.  Just look at what they did to the God of War games (1 & 2).  As far as I know, all PS3s will play the re-done version (especially considering there's trophies for it).

And, SONY could certainly remove BC from the consoles that still support it.  They have already established a precedent that they can and will take away features at will.  Based on their new TOS, they could also remove the following:  the ability to store photos, the ability to surf the internet, the ability to play bluray MOVIES, etc.  For that matter, their TOS pretty much gives them the ability to make your PS3 useless for anything except being an expensive paper weight.  Call me a paranoid conspiracy theorist if you wish; but SONY lost a lot of trust I had in them when they removed Other OS despite promising earlier to leave it in.  No, I didn't use Other OS.  I am against its removal solely on principle.  Anyway, back on subject, BC and Other OS have some similarities.  I'd venture to say that BC and Other OS have (or, had, in Other OS's case) about the same usage level (for that matter, Other OS was probably higher).  If PS2 BC were ever used to "access the system" as Other OS was, I'd say SONY would remove it in a heartbeat.

They kind of already got rid of the ability to surf the net. Have you tried to use it lately? It's a joke.

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
Message 28 of 32 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5858 posts

May 7, 2010

Amir29 wrote:

According to Sony's EULA/ToS, and as evidenced in their removal of OtherOS, they "supposedly" have the legal right to remove B/C at any time  with or without your permission. Hopefully, we'll be going to court and Sony will be forced to rewrite the EULA/ToS agreements in a way that protects both Sony and it's consumers.

i hope that everyone understands what will come of the psn if sony does lose this lawsuit and they are forced to re-write their tos. we will all more than likely start having to pay for the psn, plus everytime we try to sign-in, our ps3's will be FW checked and if our machines aren't current we won't have access. essentially, if they lose this lawsuit, they will take any and all choice we have over FW updates if we want to do anything online or play future games/movies. right now, we do have a little bit of a choice whether people admit it or not, but they will take away that choice to protect themselves. then, the only choice we will have is to buy or not buy future software. however they do it, they will completely protect themselves after this because if we are paying for it, thats our choice, but we will have to do it by their rules and then we can't say or do a thing about it because it will be very clear that they own the software/psn/whatever. it wouldn't surprise me if they shut everyone out, then charge for a software license just to even use the software on the ps3 since they own that, but have been "letting" us use it since launch for free.

Message 29 of 32 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

May 7, 2010

ctfw529 wrote:

Amir29 wrote:

According to Sony's EULA/ToS, and as evidenced in their removal of OtherOS, they "supposedly" have the legal right to remove B/C at any time  with or without your permission. Hopefully, we'll be going to court and Sony will be forced to rewrite the EULA/ToS agreements in a way that protects both Sony and it's consumers.

i hope that everyone understands what will come of the psn if sony does lose this lawsuit and they are forced to re-write their tos. we will all more than likely start having to pay for the psn, plus everytime we try to sign-in, our ps3's will be FW checked and if our machines aren't current we won't have access. essentially, if they lose this lawsuit, they will take any and all choice we have over FW updates if we want to do anything online or play future games/movies. right now, we do have a little bit of a choice whether people admit it or not, but they will take away that choice to protect themselves. then, the only choice we will have is to buy or not buy future software. however they do it, they will completely protect themselves after this because if we are paying for it, thats our choice, but we will have to do it by their rules and then we can't say or do a thing about it because it will be very clear that they own the software/psn/whatever. it wouldn't surprise me if they shut everyone out, then charge for a software license just to even use the software on the ps3 since they own that, but have been "letting" us use it since launch for free.

That's a bit dramatic. Let's not forget that business is business. The class action will cost Sony money, but no where near the amount of money that would have been spent reimbursing us all individually. Sony saves money at the end of this suit. The part of this suit most of us want to see more than anything though, is to have a new EULA/ToS that's agreed on by both parties so there can be some fairness in there for all of us (including Sony).

Sony is not some guy that will get angry that his friends turned on him and won in a dispute. It's still business as usual. Sony will NOT go out of it's way to anger it's consumers further before evaluating how it will impact their bottom line.

Message 30 of 32 (6 Views)
0 Likes