Aug 02 2010
By: JD-LEF First Son 6 posts

Why is 3.41 crash a warranty issue? Sony broke it..Sony fix it

9 replies 26 views Edited Aug 2, 2010

I downloaded the 3.41 to my bone stock 120gb slim and its currently stuck at 99% install.  No upgrades whatsoever to my system (HDD or otherwise) and have only used the system to play games, watch DVDs and check out Netflix. I am not a tech savy person, so removing the hard drive and formatting is outside my means plus I don't want to void my warranty.  Tried everything but my system is stuck at install...no safe mode it goes straight to install.  I called Sony tech-support and all is good since I am still under warranty and can send it in.  I will lose all of my game saves and what not.  Oh well, I get it fixed for free in a few weeks.  Still agitated about Sony breaking my PS3.  To add salt to the wound the tech support dude asked if I wanted to extend my warranty.  I laughed and said that this wasnt a warranty issue because Sony broke the system and I didnt consider myself lucky to be under warranty.  I did nothing to my PS3 but install a  Sony requested, no demanded, update.  Every game I played berated me about installing the new update.  He informed me that I was wrong and said my rationale was way off.   I guess this guy was just trying to do his job and sell a warranty but I was quite offended by this arrogant little man.  We went a few rounds before I figured I had better ways to waste my time. 

If a Sony update breaks my system , when my warranty has expired, will I be SOL and have to pay for a fix?  Does Sony not have any liability?  Sounds criminal to me.  Outside the scope of being pissed about losing my PS3 am I wrong to be offended about this being a warranty issue?  My wife just doesnt understand why I need to vent about this to her so this is where yall come into play!  Yes, I know I am lucky to currently be under warranty but what about the ones who aren't?

Message 2 of 10 (26 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Re: Why is 3.41 crash a warranty issue? Sony broke it..Sony fix it

Aug 2, 2010

JD-LEF wrote:

To add salt to the womb

I believe the expression is "salt to the wound". Apart from that, I don't really see the issue here, you're under warranty. Sony, like any company, are not perfect, it's human nature to make mistakes. Many people cannot see beyond that.

I believe that once your warranty is out, you will need to pay for a fix on the PS3.

Message 1 of 10 (26 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Aug 2, 2010

I'm not against them fixing it under warranty.   They are owning up to that and I am stoked that its getting fixed for free.  But why should I pay to extend my warranty so that I will be covered the next time they break it?  If I would have waited another week to download the update my warranty would have been up and I would have been screwed.  My PS3 did not break from normal wear and tear.  It no longer works because Sony sent me  a "bug"!  Sony is turning into the mafia...pay up or you sleep with the fishes.  Did you and I talk on the phone a few days ago? 

I guess I did ask for an open response so I shouldnt knock yours down because its not the one I was looking for.  So thank you for responding with your thoughts on the situation.

Big thanks for catching the word error.  I have now removed all amniotic fluid from my post.  I said womb, thats too funny!

Message 3 of 10 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Aug 2, 2010

It's good that you took that with a good sense of humor

Are you actually able to boot the PS3 up at all? or have you left it on the 99% that it's stuck at? I assume this is 99% installed and not 99% downloaded?

Can you enter safe mode at all?

I know you've briefly mentioned these, just trying to get a bit more information so I can understand better.

Message 4 of 10 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 2, 2010

Download complete, directly into system from PS3 Network.  PS3 boots up but attempts to install 3.41 where it gets stuck at 99%.  I can not go into safe mode.   

I attempted to boot up in safe mode by:

1) Turning off PS3 to red light

2) Holding down power button through series of beeps until it cycles back to off

3) Holding down power button until I heard two quick beeps

Message 5 of 10 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Aug 2, 2010

We're in the exact same boat my freind.  My stock slim is also stuck a 99% install.  It will not turn off plus the tech guy and I tried safe mode three times.  No go.  I'm going to give it one last go before I send it in.

Message 6 of 10 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 2, 2010

Same issue...tried for 5 hours to resolve it. While the Tech lady at PS3 was very professional the bottom line is they said I would have to send it in for repair (out of warranty). The fee to look at the unit...a mere $150 (not including any expenses to repair). Oh, and they would send me a shipping box within 5 to 10 work days so I could then mail it to them...geez! How about a little customer loyalty! This is not a problem generated by the USER, it is soley PS3's issue...they should pony up the cost to fix or replace! I'll watch for any news on this, but if they are not willing to fix this at no cost to the consumer, I'll replace it wih an X-Box instead...it'd be nice to have dedicated servers anyway, even if you do have to pay a nominal fee for it.

Message 7 of 10 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 10, 2010

3.41 crashed my system too. I have a 40G fatty ps3 but I had upgraded the HD to 320G. At 99% install my system reset then when it powered on (didn't even get past the ps3 waves), yellow light, beep beep beep flashing red light.

customer server rep said i was lucky that i got 2 years of play out of it. So i'm on xbox live now. hit me up

XBL-krisplettuce

Message 8 of 10 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Aug 10, 2010

i gusse it's a good thing i never had that issue but then again when it comes time for me to update it and it's doing it's thing i just sit there and let it get what it needs to have done done the best thing i would say is when u start up the ps3 make sure your not download or installing anything at all just go straight to the update system and make if u don't have background downloads going pause those first that'll make the update process go a lot smoother then again it might not.

Message 9 of 10 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
6 posts

Aug 10, 2010

I started thjis post and I guess I should supply an update.  I contacted Sony and they hooked me up with a Fed-Ex box so that I could ship my PS3 back to them for some fixing.  However, the Google machine taught me how to format my PS3 hard drive (FAT32) by way of my CPU.  I gave this a try and then installed 3.40 with a flash drive followed by a 3.41 install*.  I dont know if 3.40 was necessary but I read somewhere that 3.41 was a patch to 3.40 vs a full reinstall.  Anyways...PS3 is working now. 

*Be sure to have any other installs completely removed from your flash drive or the PS3 wont read it.  I had 3.41 in a seperate folder and it was still a no go.

Message 10 of 10 (26 Views)
0 Likes