Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 13 2013
By: aschulz90 First Son 6 posts

YLOD, recovering HDD, a family plea for help (will pay)

[ Edited ]
3 replies 103 views Edited May 13, 2013

Dear Playstation Community,

My parents aren't usually eager to take photos but when they do it's usually important (at least to me). They have been using the PS3 as a location to store our family photos and videos, most of the time exclusively. The photos on this hard drive include my highschool and college graduation, my sisters highschool and college graduation, photos of the friends I made and places I visited during my semester abroad and family trips. There are also, most importantly, photos of our house as my father built it. This is perhaps one of my fathers greatest achievements and loosing the documentation of it is horrifying. So many memories are stored on this hard drive.

Recently the PS3 wouldn't turn on and my father took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the power supply with one from Ebay and it still did not work. After his attempt, he sent it to me, and I took it apart, replaced the thermal paste, still to no avail. Stupidly, as I still at this point did not know that I wouldn't be able to extract data from the hard drive using a regular PC, I sent the PS3 in without the hard drive. And have attempted a number of ways to extract data (put hard drive in another PS3, no it hasn't been reformatted, and put it in an external hard drive case, which was not read on Windows). Not until reading on the internet over the past week have I realized the difficulties of getting data off of the hard drive.

So in short. I have a hard drive from a PS3 I don't have (but can get back in non-functioning condition) with family photos on it. I NEED to get them off. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm of meager means but if you need monetary incentive we can work something out.

-Adam.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (103 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16684 posts

Re: YLOD, recovering HDD, a family plea for help (will pay)

May 13, 2013

Sorry but this is why you should make back ups of important irreplaceable data. There is no work around.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (99 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4097 posts

May 13, 2013

ne1atall is correct.

I always make sure to have back-ups of back-ups, of my family photos.

I too learned the hard way, after a PC hard drive completely crapped out, years ago.

I am sincerely sorry for your loss.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8394 posts

May 14, 2013

Since you mention being able to get the PS3 back, describe what issues it had. Some of the issues it might be possible to fix long enough to get a backup.

YLOD could mean lots of things.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (65 Views)
0 Likes