Apr 04 2013
By: kenjim04 First Son 4 posts

broken headphones ended up costing me $240...

4 replies 129 views Edited Apr 4, 2013

So for the longest time I've been a HUGE Sony fan! I love the bravia sync and how easily everything works together between my tv, home theater system, and my PS3. I recently opened up my PS3 headphones that I got from Best buy and couldn't believe how great they were. Within a week of use (maybe five hours) the USB stick started to lose connection with my headphones and I would lose sound and voice capability for a minute at a time. This has gone on for three weeks now.

I finally found the time to get these fixed and called the help number located on the box. The number directed me to reset my PS3 and see if that would work... That's where everything went wrong. In resetting my PS3 and the information, I inadvertently locked myself out of my account because I never used the password I created from three years ago… Not only was I locked out of my account but then when syncing up my controllers again, one of them failed to sync wirelessly to my PS3. I proceeded to do all of the reset procedures I could do and called the help desk which walked me through the exact same procedures… After five minutes of trying to reset the controller I was told that I’m overcharging my controllers and that caused the battery to die which is causing the controller to be unable to wirelessly sync to my PS3. My controllers are hooked up to a PS3 charging station which prevents stops charging the controllers when they’re full… Not sure how I’m over charging them.  

I then told him my whole reason for resetting the unit and though he told me I’m able to send in my headphones in for repair I would just have to pay the shipping fee. I understand the rule making customers pay the shipping but honestly… I’ve never been so disappointed with Sony before…

Because I bought a faulty headset it’s now going to cost me an additional $50 to replace the controller that broke because of this (mind you it was working fine before) and about $40 in shipping costs to Texas. So in summary… by buying a $100 headset it’s now cost me: my account which is locked because my old email was hacked… a $50 controller now broken… $50 for a new controller, and $40 for shipping fees for the broken headset.

But that’s okay because the comforting words of the customer service rep was more than enough… Hearing him say, “wow… that sucks” about all this makes it better. I just thought that a company like Sony would have better customer relations than this… I’m usually not one to complain because working in the customer service industry I understand the annoyance of people complaining, I didn’t even mind when Sony shut down the network because they were hacked, I knew it wasn’t something to whine about but… now I’m just annoyed that I spent all this money on equipment that I take care of only to have it break and be told I have to buy brand new equipment only to hope that they don’t break on me either…  

Message 1 of 5 (129 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
697 posts

Re: broken headphones ended up costing me $240...

Apr 4, 2013
[Moved from PS Home Support]
Message 2 of 5 (121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Apr 4, 2013

Just out of curiosity;   Why didn't you just take them back to Best Buy?    They have a pretty much no-questions-asked policy ... especially if its just an exchange.    

Message 3 of 5 (112 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Apr 4, 2013

i didn't end up opening the head phones until March. By that time 90 days had passed from the point of purchase and Best Buy told me that I was out of luck since a protection plan wasn't bought..

Message 4 of 5 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1667 posts

Apr 4, 2013

It sounds like a interferance issue.

Do you have a wireless router? Change the wireless channel on it to like 11 or 6.Try again.

As far as the controller is concerned on the back you will see a little hole thats the reset button press it with paper clip until you see all the lights flash,then reconnect.

Message 5 of 5 (89 Views)