Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Wastelander
Registered: 12/10/1999
Offline
637 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

 


coffeerox wrote:

 


AlnilamE wrote:

 


coffeerox wrote:

Until you show your credentials that you're a Sony engineer, you really don't have any credibility.


 

 

If a Sony engineer posted something like that on these forums (or anywhere else on the net), I'm sure he/she would be a former Sony engineer within 15 minutes.

 

Is the PS3 really that different from a regular computer?


 

Yes it is.  If it wasn't, why do we have developers saying it's so hard developing for this damn thing, why hackers have such a hard time with it's security, and so on and so forth.  Like I said we can't just accept this guy's testimony just because you guys agree with one part of his argument.

 


 

 

It's really not.  You don't think hackers have a ton of issues breaking windows at times? Yes they do.  THe PS3 and game consoles like it are simply custom computers.  They use a custom OS, custom parts and even a slightly different design that a conventional machine but it's still a computer.  Anyone who has truly studied Security issues like me knows that the concepts can be applied to nearly any eletronic device.  The PS3 is a custom Cell workstation running Sony's own custom cross media bar OS and once someone breaks that OS it's nearly imposible to stop them from doing it over and over again. Once/if CWF becomes public(it hasn't) it's all over and Sony will have to do alot of what I went over above.

 

one last thing: unless you have something usefull to say instead of trashing a somewhat experenced PC analyist I sugest you find a new thread...

Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
(have fun MMO players ^^)

Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr/Quetzalcoatl
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 41 (13 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 05/08/2007
Offline
870 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

You don't know what you're talking about.  Unless you can start talking about the PS3's security, at least on the level that hackers do, you're just some joe schmoe from nowhere like everybody else.  Don't presume to be more than that.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 41 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 05/22/2008
Offline
549 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

 


coffeerox wrote:

 

he's making a claim that this security update was useless. Ok, good for him, I agree| On the internet world, I believe he has to backup those claims. No he does not, it is the internet, not a scientific paper on PS3 security |  Or is it only when you are on a losing side of a mob? it is neither, nobody losing anything but ps3 owners and Sony.  On the internet, all you have to do to be "correct" is to agree with everybody else.  Even if it's completely wrong. ?



 

 

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 41 (13 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 05/08/2007
Offline
870 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

 


Eyeseller wrote:

 


coffeerox wrote:

 

he's making a claim that this security update was useless. Ok, good for him, I agree| On the internet world, I believe he has to backup those claims. No he does not, it is the internet, not a scientific paper on PS3 security |  Or is it only when you are on a losing side of a mob? it is neither, nobody losing anything but ps3 owners and Sony.  On the internet, all you have to do to be "correct" is to agree with everybody else.  Even if it's completely wrong. ?



 

 


Eyeseller, please visit some of the blogs that are floating around concerning the exploit.  Mostly all of them are full of hackers that at least understand some parts and try to form some sort of understanding regarding this technology.  This guy doesnt' even do that.  To make this sort of claims that he's making, he DOES have to write a scientific paper on the PS3, at least in a compact post form.  I've seen other people do it, so why can't him?

 

 

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 41 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/20/2008
Offline
5451 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

 


coffeerox wrote:

You don't know what you're talking about.  Unless you can start talking about the PS3's security, at least on the level that hackers do, you're just some joe schmoe from nowhere like everybody else.  Don't presume to be more than that.


 

 

Well, that's really the issue here. I could explain the entire process to you, but doing so publically will cause some problems...

 

First, my post will be deletred and I would probably be banned for exposing such knowledge to other PS3 users.

Second, I wouldn't want to tell you or anyone else cause I don't want them learning how to do such things.

 

You see, someone who DOES know what needs to be done, will not tell you in public. And if they tell you in private, they are a BIG problem for all of us. Simply because I know how it works, doesn't mean I want it to happen. I would hope that PS3 users on ANY LEVEL would feel the same. I like having a pirate free PS3, and I would love for it to stay that way. Unfortunately, thanks to what Sony has done, that will probably be a thing of the past shortly. But, at least I won't be a part of expediting the process

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 41 (13 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 07/25/2006
Offline
458 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

 


coffeerox wrote:

he's making a claim that this security update was useless.  On the internet world, I believe he has to backup those claims.  Or is it only when you are on a losing side of a mob?  On the internet, all you have to do to be "correct" is to agree with everybody else.  Even if it's completely wrong.


 

Well I can tell you as someone who has followed the hacking scene that removing Other OS did not improve security. Hackers will not upgrade, and it doesn't matter as the hackers already got into the core of the PS3 system, they not only have access in Linux, but have dumped the Game OS, giving them a lot more options in hacking the PS3 without even needing Linux. The only thing removing Linux did was giving the hackers a reason to actually look into these options.

 


Q29. Will Linux OS be adopted as you have planned ?
A29. Yes. PS3 is a computer system and Linux OS is adopted as one of the standard OSes.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 41 (13 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 05/08/2007
Offline
870 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

Well then Amir, he's come to the wrong place now hasn't he? He wants to talk about PS3 security features and even if he did know, he can't talk about it on this specific board. So the best thing that he ends up saying is, "I'm a PC technician and I think this update is useless"  I don't even need to point out that these kinds of posts on message boards get ate up real quick and we're onto the next topic.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 41 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 05/22/2008
Offline
549 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

 


coffeerox wrote:

 


Eyeseller wrote:

 


coffeerox wrote:

 

he's making a claim that this security update was useless. Ok, good for him, I agree| On the internet world, I believe he has to backup those claims. No he does not, it is the internet, not a scientific paper on PS3 security |  Or is it only when you are on a losing side of a mob? it is neither, nobody losing anything but ps3 owners and Sony.  On the internet, all you have to do to be "correct" is to agree with everybody else.  Even if it's completely wrong. ?



 

 


Eyeseller, please visit some of the blogs that are floating around concerning the exploit.  Mostly all of them are full of hackers that at least understand some parts and try to form some sort of understanding regarding this technology.  This guy doesnt' even do that.  To make this sort of claims that he's making, he DOES have to write a scientific paper on the PS3, at least in a compact post form.  I've seen other people do it, so why can't him?

 

 


 

I get your point, but he is just giving his opinon on 3.21. it is an open forum on the ps website. But if he where to post that in SKSapps.com, PSX-Scene, or ps3-hacks yes that **bleep** won't fly. Here its ok because it not a hackers forum.

 

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 41 (13 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/20/2008
Offline
5451 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010

 


coffeerox wrote:

Well then Amir, he's come to the wrong place now hasn't he? He wants to talk about PS3 security features and even if he did know, he can't talk about it on this specific board. So the best thing that he ends up saying is, "I'm a PC technician and I think this update is useless"  I don't even need to point out that these kinds of posts on message boards get ate up real quick and we're onto the next topic.


 

 

I don't know about that. It's the choice of the reader whether to believe him or not. And it's of course your choice if you want to turn this thread into an off topic discussion on whether or not he should or shouldn't post it. But regardless of your freedom to do so, it IS quite rude.

 

It's also your choice on whether or not to believe me, but I can tell you that there is proof ALL OVER the internet that backs up his "opinion".

 

You'll just have to know where to look, and Google will not help you on this one.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 41 (13 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/29/2005
Offline
218 posts
 

Re: so called "Security update" from a PC guy's prespective

Apr 18, 2010
one of a few examples of,

"i couldn't have said it better myself."

Tired of $ony tromping on what you pay for?
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

" We have received your complaint.
Thank you for contacting the FTC. Your complaint has been entered into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide. "
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 41 (13 Views)