Oct 31 2010
By: STYXX Sackboy 604 posts

Backwards compatibility is not so necessary at this point...

54 replies 89 views Edited Oct 31, 2010

You know, I was all about the backwards compatibility when I got my PS3.  Yep:  I have the old 60GB launch console.  I loved the backward compatibility option because I have a large collection of PS2 games (counted 73).

But the fact is, I'm a game junkie.  I have to keep playing something.  And while I love discussing the old games, I've got to play something new, and I just keep buying new games.  I'm now up to 72 PS3 games, not counting PSN games.  In the past--what?--3 years since the PS3 came out, I have played PS2 games all of twice:  once for GOW2 (because it came out a few short months after the PS3 launch) and FF12 (just because early on there really weren't very many new games).

So while the option of backwards compatibility may be awesome on paper or for nostalgia's sake, I prefer to keep up with the times and play the new games as they come out.  There are just too many new games, with new stories, and better graphics coming out than to focus on games that came out years ago for a different system.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 55 (89 Views)
Fender Bender
3033 posts

Re: Backwards compatibility is not so necessary at this point...

Oct 31, 2010

I'm probably not as a player as you. I get new games, but I am very picky about what I get. I also still like to play my PS2 games.

I bought my PS3 with B/C in mind, and I use it. Sure I paid "extra" for it compared to later systems, but I was more than prepapred to lay down the $500 asking price. I have used the PS3 repair service twice now, and I have retained my CECHE01. I value what my console offers, and I was fortunate enough to be able to get one when they were still being offered.I don't plan on letting it go anytime soon, and I do plan on continuing to use B/C in the future and buy new games.

Fix your DS3/SixAxis-Boomer since 2,736

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 55 (89 Views)
PlayStation MVP
12205 posts

Oct 31, 2010

The high cost of development for PS3 games, and the gradual increase in the average age of console gamers, means that some game genres have largely fallen by the wayside on the PS3.  One example is 3D platform games.  While Insomniac did get around to producing a couple of Ratchet and Clank games on PS3, there hasn't been much else.  Jak and Daxter have yet to appear on the PS3 even as a PSN exclusive (I'll discount the Move-enabled brawler).  Their last game was published on the PSP and PS2 only, even though it was released over a year after the PS3 was available. Sly Cooper has seen only a HD rerelease of the PS2 games.  Crash Bandicoot has been absent from PS3, along with Rayman (now living on Nintendo consoles), and every other notable PS2-era 3D platformer.  It isn't as though these established franchises were replaced with exciting new HD platformers either.  The only significant new plaformer released for PS3 has been LittleBigPlanet, and it is really a 2D platformer with 3D images.  Japanese RPGs have largely been absent on the PS3 as well.  Good ones have certainly been rare.  Even Square Enix has declined to ship many real JRPG games on the PS3, instead "westernizing" the games to the extent that few people on either side of the Pacific have been all that eager to play them.  I doubt that anyone has played all of the worthwhile JRPGs that were published for the PS2, even now.  Keeping up with them on the PS3 has been no problem.  Lastly, the PS2 continues to get new licensed games, some of which are not available in PS3 versions. 

I don't care about PS2 backward compatibility on the PS3, but I plan to have a PS2 in my home entertainment system for many years to come.  It will take that long to play even half of the large backlog of PS2 games in my collection.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 55 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Oct 31, 2010

when i bought my 60gig i thought i would use bc allot, but i played gta san andreas once when i first got it, and that was it. i never used it again untill it died last year. theres too many good ps3 games to play in hidef.

im a hidef snob now, and even if they added bc to the slims i doubt id ever use it.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 55 (89 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 1, 2010
IMO BC really serves as a bridge for early adopters to use when they buy a new system with few games available. Both of the other systems have BC, but I am sure they aren't being used nearly as much as it used to.

If Sony were to add PS2 BC back to the PS3 tomorrow, I highly doubt there would be a significant increase in sales.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 55 (89 Views)
Sackboy
604 posts

Dec 24, 2010

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

IMO BC really serves as a bridge for early adopters to use when they buy a new system with few games available. Both of the other systems have BC, but I am sure they aren't being used nearly as much as it used to.

If Sony were to add PS2 BC back to the PS3 tomorrow, I highly doubt there would be a significant increase in sales.

good point.  it got a lot of people's attention, but original price tag dissuaded them at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 55 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 24, 2010

i wish i had been able to get a ps3 with backward compatability,i have 125 ps2 games and i still go back and play them in between a ps3 game.i just dont have the money to keep buying new or used games so i have to make the best of what i have.i was only able to buy 6 games this year,only 1 of them was brand new,the others were used.these games will have to get me through for a while.i have already started saving for a game that comes out on 11-11-11 and it will probably take me that long to get enough for it.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 55 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6512 posts

Dec 24, 2010

72!? Damn! I have 19 and I thought that was too much. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 55 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 25, 2010

Completely unrelated to the main topic but as a retailer I still find this amusing.

While the original price tag made gamers cringe, it brought in a new and huge market of non gamers to the PS3. 

I worked at Circuit City when bluray and PS3 hit the market.  Videophiles flocked to the PS3 for a variety of reasons.  Some because of the fastest boot time on the market (PS3= 10-15 seconds to turn on and launch film compared to any other player=1.5-2 minutes to turn on and play).  Others opted in for the network capability.  Some just because it could play everything.

But it was price that sold many systems ironically.  When PS3 retailed for 600 dollars, many backed away saying, "whoa, that's a bit pricey".  The Videophiles swooped in and cried "I can't believe this is so cheap!!!"  They decided that spending 1,000 dollars for a stand alone bluray player wasn't as smart as buying a PS3 for 400 bucks less. 

And that friends, is why most of the original PS3 fat owners were 40+ years old.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 55 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
287 posts

Dec 25, 2010

Backwards compat was a nice addition but it was never required, with all these hot PS3 titles in HD, if i really wanted to play a classic I'd pull my old consoles out....

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 55 (89 Views)
0 Likes