Fender Bender
4653 posts

Re: How do i Avoid YLOD???

Jun 11, 2010
Without reading entire thread and just answering title question my answer is....avoid buying a 60GB. I don't know anyone who has/had one that didn't have trouble with it. Get an 80GB non backward compatible unit. I can tell you from my experience that I have abused mine to the fullest extent of the word abused and it still keeps chugging right along.

I left it on for about 4 days straight when trying to DL the MAG beta last year and I frequently forget to turn it off over night and yet it's still as reliable and quiet as the day I bought it.

Another thing is to make sure it's always well ventilated and keep the vents dust free.
stargiss
Message 41 of 43 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jun 11, 2010

RedArmy93 wrote:

Robbob wrote:

i also own a 60 gig from launch and it ran for two years perfectly until i got the yellow light of death sorry to say that the 60 gig is very prone to catching this so be prepared id say back ur harddrive up oftenly just in case also the main prob with them breaking is the ps3 power supply which seems to be the cause of 60 gigs dying

GOOD LUCK with ur 60 gig though i love mine still even though it broke owell $H!T happens

Don't tell lies. There is no proof whatsoever that the other models have a better chance, remember as the electronic equipment gets older, they tend to break more often than the new ones for sale at the time. In other words, those models, when they hit 2 or three, they may fail in simiar numbers. By no means can the 60GB be called defective as you imply. With age, things break.

Actually, I saw the stats somewhere last year on which models had the YLOD problem and the numbers and I was stunned by the amount of 60GB systems that broke with the problem compared to any other model. The 60s actually had more YLOD than all other units combined. 

That really was just a poor design. I don't know if it was the materials they used in it or the design itself but whatever the case the 60GB units definitely were the most likely to end up dying from YLOD.

stargiss
Message 42 of 43 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
596 posts

Jun 11, 2010

stargiss wrote:

RedArmy93 wrote:

Robbob wrote:

i also own a 60 gig from launch and it ran for two years perfectly until i got the yellow light of death sorry to say that the 60 gig is very prone to catching this so be prepared id say back ur harddrive up oftenly just in case also the main prob with them breaking is the ps3 power supply which seems to be the cause of 60 gigs dying

GOOD LUCK with ur 60 gig though i love mine still even though it broke owell $H!T happens

Don't tell lies. There is no proof whatsoever that the other models have a better chance, remember as the electronic equipment gets older, they tend to break more often than the new ones for sale at the time. In other words, those models, when they hit 2 or three, they may fail in simiar numbers. By no means can the 60GB be called defective as you imply. With age, things break.

Actually, I saw the stats somewhere last year on which models had the YLOD problem and the numbers and I was stunned by the amount of 60GB systems that broke with the problem compared to any other model. The 60s actually had more YLOD than all other units combined. 

That really was just a poor design. I don't know if it was the materials they used in it or the design itself but whatever the case the 60GB units definitely were the most likely to end up dying from YLOD.

80GB's are backwards compatible. The design on the 60GB is one of the best in the PS3 line of systems. Larger 19 blade fan, bigger heatsinks, more ventilation throughout the casing.

The 60GBs have way more hours logged than any other PS3, of course theres more reports of failed consoles. But Slims are dying only after 3 months. No 60GBs died that soon.

Your facts are a bit off.....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 43 of 43 (9 Views)
0 Likes