Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 16 2010
By: BCBUDZ Sackboy 567 posts

How does the PS3 defragment it's hard drive?

8 replies 15611 views Edited Jul 16, 2010

As we know hard drives become fragmented over time from adding and removing files. How exactly does a PS3 defrag it's hard drive?. If you don't defrag a drive it begins to thrash over time from persistant searches for data jumping over sectors of unwritten, and overwritten blocks. I've never seen a mention of this. Prolonged fragmenting can lead to a hard drive failure..

Any answers?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (15,611 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1037 posts

Re: How does the PS3 defragment it's hard drive?

Jul 16, 2010

Windows user OP?

Thought so, lol.

The PS3 is based off a Linux platform, and handles it's file structure in a way where the files do not become fragmented. There is no need to defragment a PS3, because they never fragment in the first place.

Also, Macs are this way too. Windows is the only one that requires defragmenting.

Boycotting Corrupt Moderators
PSPgo Signature
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (15,611 Views)
Sackboy
567 posts

Jul 16, 2010
I also run Linux on many servers.
I'm just mostly curious how it handles thrashing because I've had to delete so many files over time having only 120 GB.
I can understand the large file theory, except what about when you get down to a few GB free?
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (15,611 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1037 posts

Jul 16, 2010

I'm sure others will chime in here. Simply put though, the PS3 handles files differently than a normal computer.

PSPgo Signature
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (15,611 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
567 posts

Jul 16, 2010
Well yes that I understand. I'm just wondering how it reduces thrashing mostly when filled to the brim, and then a bunch of files are removed. Does the file system rebuild itself?
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (15,611 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1037 posts

Jul 16, 2010

From what I understand (and there are people here that know a hell of a lot more about this than I do) it does.

I've read on here that deleting mass files and moving items will not affect the drive.

But, however, having a drive filled to the brim begs one more question, why not get a larger drive?

PSPgo Signature
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (15,611 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 13, 2010

To all OPs that claim that *nix based OS'es do not require defragmentation, go shake your heads.  Fragmentation of files is a concern on ALL operating systems, it's just not part of admins tasks.  The filesystem itself takes care of defraging when "it" sees the need for it.  A little Google goggle reveals interesting but unqualified answers.

Please think of it a bit like saying: "oh, Ferrari's don't need tune ups and tire-pressure checks like normal cars do.  The way Ferrari engines are built, they don't require lubrication with new oils, spark plug changes, or anything like that; and the way the tires make contact with the pavement, you don't need air in the tires at all actually."

Yeah OK... *face palm*

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (15,611 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Sep 13, 2010

fragmentation only occurs when the drive gets majorly filled and then stuff that was installed in the middle so to speak like before one object but after another gets deleted now you might have defragmentation

usually pc users get alot of clutter from temporary files and programs they no longer need

since the ps3 isnt really used for the same stuff as a pc, its hard drive doesnt get filled as quick and often when teh hdd is filled the owner may just buy a bigger drive, and when they back up and then restore to the new drive it likely isnt fragmented anymore

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (15,611 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Sep 13, 2010

I think fragmentation happens on the PS3 because usually it will play 1gb movie almost instantly but sometimes it may take more than 10 seconds to play it.

==============================================================
PS2 slim
PS3 slim 120gb/500gb
PS3 60gb
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (15,611 Views)
0 Likes