Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 22 2008
By: THUMPER_-_ Treasure Hunter 6701 posts

How to: You and your keyboard+PS3.

9 replies 1982 views Edited Oct 22, 2008

The intention of this thread is to help you use your keyboard more efficiently, or to help you on your decision in wanting to use one, or not.

Majority of your basic commands on your PC, aren't really all too different to transfer to use on your PS3 with the keyboard.

The following will be descriptions of the F keys, and if they're usable, or not.

System

Photo

• F1 - Same function as Triangle on your controller. Allowing you to view it, and next image(with the directional arrows on the computer).
  • F2 - Same function as Square on your controller. Allowing you to group content.

Music

• F1 - Same function as Triangle on your controller. Allowing you to play, add to a playlist, delete.
  • F2 - Same function as Square on your controller. Allowing you to group your content.
  • F3 - Same function as Select. Shows/hides artist/title name, duration bar/time left.
  • F4 - You can pause your current music track.

Video
  • F1 - Same function as Triangle on your controller. Allowing you to play, play from beginning, information.
  • F2 - Same function as Square on your controller. Allowing you to group your content.

Game
  • F1 - Same function as Triangle on your controller. Only works on whichever game you have inserted, and/or downloaded to your PS3. For disc - Start, Ejects, About this Game, Information. For Downloaded - Start, Delete, About this game, Information.

Network

• F1 - Only use is on the Information Board.

PLAYSTATION® Network

Friends

• F1 - Same function as triangle on your controller. Allowing you to access Message list, Create a message, compare trophies, etc.

While in any of these menus, your best friend would be Esc. It'll get you out of any window, and take you to the previous one. Also, if you're in a game, and you hit the PS button because someone sent you a message, or what have you. You can hit the Start button on the keyboard, and it'll take you to your game screen, without even having to touch the controller 'til you need to.

The following will be for use of the keyboard, while using your PS3s web browser. If you didn't know your PS3 had a web browser, it's located under Network, and named Internet Browser.

Internet Browser

• F1 - Same function as triangle on your controller.
  • F2 - N/A
  • F3 - To add a bookmark. If you hit it by accident, you can hit F3 again, and it'll take you back to the page.
  • F4 - Brings up the address bar if you want to go to another site.(Hitting Esc will get you out of that, if you hit it by accident.)
  • F5 - Refreshes your current page.

Alt+L or R arrow keys will take you back a page, or forward. The same as it is on your PC.

As I said above, many of your basic commands on your PC, aren't really that different for your PS3.

Misc.

• Hitting hit up, or down arrow keys in a text field will save your from repeatedly using your left to right keys going back, after you typed a not so short message.
  • Arrow Up=Beginning of the message.

Arrow Down=End of the message.
  • Enter is universal. Serves the same purpose as X.
  • The Start button acts as the PS button. Allowing you to continue looking through your videos, music, etc.While they place in the background.
  • Esc always closes out your windows. The only time it doesn't close it out, without asking is when your about to close out your web browser.

If anyone else would have anything to add that I might've not remembered to put down, or something new, by all means - indulge.

Hopefully this is helpful to those stumped on how to use their keyboards more efficiently, or help those make a decision of their future usage.

Either way, hope you enjoyed your read.:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by ---THUMPER--- on 10-22-2008 02:31 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (1,982 Views)
Fender Bender
4310 posts

Re: How to: You and your keyboard+PS3.

Aug 21, 2008

cool

this would be useful for keyboard users

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1518 posts

Aug 21, 2008
Thankz!! Im going to use this.
Playing SR2 and GTA IV
Playing GTA IV (For Trophies)
*-ViPeR-*
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6701 posts

Aug 21, 2008

Mike7157-A wrote:

cool

this would be useful for keyboard users

Indeed, it would be.

*-ViPeR-* wrote:
Thankz!! Im going to use this.

Welp, that's just great.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Dec 17, 2008
cool nice list
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
950 posts

Dec 17, 2008

Sorry, no kudos for you. I use the PS3 keypad.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3670 posts

Dec 17, 2008
I kudoed you because no one else has.  Although I do not use a keyboard I appreciate you taking the time to figure out all of these buttons and then inform us.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Dec 17, 2008
Shift+Backspace deletes the entire contents of a textbox.  This is the worst mis-feature ever implemented. please get rid of it somebody.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
669 posts

Dec 17, 2008
Hey, this is pretty useful - thanks! I use a keyboard from time to time and really have not played around with the function keys, so it's good to know that those work as the shape buttons on the controllers. =)
-------------------------------------------------------------
PSN ID: GMShinigami
80GB PS3 - Motorstorm Bundle
PSP 3000 - Mystic Silver
JPN PS2 Slim - Cinnabar Red
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6701 posts

Dec 18, 2008

jazzyrider wrote:

Sorry, no kudos for you. I use the PS3 keypad.

It's not about getting a Kudos! - It's about having information out there. Plus, this thread was made before Kudos! were introduced to this forum.

gtmartin69 wrote:
I kudoed you because no one else has.  Although I do not use a keyboard I appreciate you taking the time to figure out all of these buttons and then inform us.

Pity Kudos! aren't really my thing - so, if you'd just remove it. Plus, as I put to the other user - this was made before Kudos! were introduced. It was just to show people what they could do with their keyboards.

GMShinigami wrote:
Hey, this is pretty useful - thanks! I use a keyboard from time to time and really have not played around with the function keys, so it's good to know that those work as the shape buttons on the controllers. =)

Glad to know - no problem. 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes