Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 06 2011
By: Jambulous First Son 9 posts

PS3 weird problem

8 replies 92 views Edited Jul 6, 2011

Hey guys I appreciate any help on this.  During the PSN outage I had to send my PS3 in for repair, however ever since I got it back its had some weird issues (works fine though).  Every single time I turn on my system it prompts me to set the date and time, I have to do this every single time it never saves.  Also (in the same vein) my theme never stays, say for instance I set my theme to a Pain or Killzone, etc on Tuesday, trurn my PS3 on Wednesday and its back to original. 

Has anyone had this problem, is there a fix?  This is kinda my last grasp before I send it away for repair.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: PS3 weird problem

Jul 6, 2011

Have you tried restoring the PS3 system from the System Settings option?  I'm just curious.

To where did you send it off for repairs?  Sony or a third party?

Message 2 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 6, 2011

I sent it to Sony, $158.  So I think I have 90 days free service if something goes wrong.  I havent tried restoring the PS3 sysetm from the system setting settings option.  Would I lose any game data if I did that?

Message 3 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 6, 2011

Jambulous wrote:

I sent it to Sony, $158.  So I think I have 90 days free service if something goes wrong.  I havent tried restoring the PS3 sysetm from the system setting settings option.  Would I lose any game data if I did that?

Yes, restoring the PS3 would erase any data on the harddrive, so you would lose your game data and gamesaves if you've not backed them up or copied them to a usb drive.

It's just something to consider trying.

Message 4 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 6, 2011

K, I def dont want to lose my game data (already did once).  How do I back it up (also what does that mean) and/or how do I copy them to a usb drive. 

Man I appreciate your time and patience here.

Message 5 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 6, 2011

To back up or copy, you need a usb drive (hard disk drive or flash drive) formatted to FAT32.

To backup you can use the System Backup Utility which is under the System Settings menu, and run a backup job, which the PS3 will save to the external drive.

To copy, you can move over to the Game Section on the XMB, and select Save Data Utility.  Then select each gamesave file you wish to backup, and press Triangle, and Copy.  Be aware though, that some gamesave files cannot be copied because they are protected, and the only way to get those is to use the backup utility.

The backup utility backs up everything you have on the Hard Drive and restores everything back to the hard drive.  It will not let you pick and choose what to backup.

You cannot manually copy Game Data Utility, which is all your game installs and DLC.  To get that, you'd need to use the backup utility.

A simple way to find out if your usb drive is FAT32 is by plugging it into the PS3 and if it pops up under the Photo, Music, Video sections, it is.  Or by plugging into your computer, and checking the Properties of it (the file system should be FAT32, not NTFS).

Message 6 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 6, 2011

Thanks man I think ill try this and see if it works.  If I back it up how do I put everything back once I do it?

Message 7 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 6, 2011

Jambulous wrote:

Thanks man I think ill try this and see if it works.  If I back it up how do I put everything back once I do it?

If you run the backup utility, you would select a backup job to backup your files.  To restore them, you would go back to the backup utility but select to do a restore job.

Message 8 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 6, 2011

Youre the man, Ill try it.

Message 9 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes