Jul 07 2008
By: gmblnmstr~ First Son 3 posts

Ready to make the jump.

19 replies 6 views Edited Jul 7, 2008

I admit I am new and have a few questions that I haven't found an answer.

Is the 80g that is being offered now superior to the original?

Basically I am looking for a page or a link to the discussion of any hardware updates or performance oriented issues/differences.

My primary use will be gaming and the blu-ray player.  AND, I do realize the difference with the backward compatibility and hard drive size. I am not planning on downloading to the device or storing media....just saving my game!

What is average save size?  Do I really have to even worry about the drive size?  

To be completely  honest I have been looking at the MGS4 bundle but would really like to solidify in my mind that the included machine is superior or at least not still first generation.

Thnx

GmblnMstr 

Message 1 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5697 posts

Re: Ready to make the jump.

Jul 7, 2008

i113

RIP Michael Jackson 8-29-58 - 6-25-09
Message 2 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
796 posts

Jul 7, 2008
Not 100% sure what you mean by first generation.  The first generation units are 20GB and 60GB units.  The 40GB and 80GB units came later.
Message 3 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1600 posts

Jul 7, 2008
Do some research, you're on a computer.
Message 4 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8574 posts

Jul 7, 2008
the 80GB is pretty much inferior to the original 60GB ps3 if you get technical. but the 80GB will do the trick just as well as any ps3 when it comes to playing ps3 games
Message 5 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
439 posts

Jul 7, 2008
The unit is said to have the 65nm chip inside, along with the fact that it comes bundles with a DS3 and MGS4, what the hell are you waiting for!?
Message 6 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Jul 7, 2008
Basically, 80gb is not superior to the 40gb, it does have more usb ports, it does have backwards compatability... but with playing games and blu ray they are the same thing... it would be unfair to make the 80 gb run better then the 40gb. I have also heard that the 80 gb is MUCH louder that the 40 gb, some have said it sounds like a lawn mower... but other then that, get the 80gb for backwards compatability if you really want it I guess, oo yeah and also the Hard drive size (because you will need a large hard drive if you want your system to last you, many games are coming out with mandatory 3-4 gb installs that you have to have on to play the game)
Message 7 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
669 posts

Jul 7, 2008
Your usage of the word "superior" in this context is sort of odd...in my opinion there really isn't a "superior" PS3 model, just models with different and/or additional features. I have an 80GB system (Motorstorm bundle, not the MGS4 bundle), and I am very happy with it - I always use SD cards to transfer media, so the extra slots were very helpful to me. I also play PS2 games on my PS3, and all of mine work perfectly (they fall within the games that are compatible). The actual game saves aren't very large, but some installation-required game data can be up to 5GB (or more? I haven't encountered any that are more than 5GB so far)..but .I don't think the HDD space is a big issue though, since all PS3 HDDs are easily upgradable. I hope that helps somewhat. =)
-------------------------------------------------------------
PSN ID: GMShinigami
80GB PS3 - Motorstorm Bundle
PSP 3000 - Mystic Silver
JPN PS2 Slim - Cinnabar Red
Message 8 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1490 posts

Jul 7, 2008

To answer your question simply:

1. Sit down and compare the 40gb and the 80gb features.

(If backwards compatiblity is not important to you and you don't need the media bay the 40gb would be suficient)

2. It is not superior to previous 80gb models it only has a Dual Shock 3 controller and MGS4.

(If you do not require the DS3 and MGS4 right out of the box then you can save the cash and the 40 would again be sufficient.

3. You can and probabally will want to upgrade your  PS3 eventually to an even higher rate than 80gb. 

(from 120gb to 500gb or even higher)

In the end only you will know what your needs are.

Just an FYI I never use more than one USB at a time and rarely play PS games on my PS3 as I have a perfectly mint PS2 for that. 

Message 9 of 20 (6 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1322 posts

Jul 7, 2008
depends on how many games you wanna play. they do install onto the hard drive (not completely, but parts do for quicker loading), and some of my installs are near the 5 gig mark. i'm running out of space on my 40gig... one of the better features of these ps3's, though is that you can upgrade the HDD at your leisure. any 2.5" SATA (laptop) HDD will work fine. i have the 40gig because at the time it was more within my price range i could waste on a console. i don't really miss the features i don't have (my ps2 still works perfectly. it's one of the big'uns, too). but i'm getting close to having to upgrade my HDD now. two USB ports are plenty for me. got my Guitar Hero thing in one and my keyboard in another... the 80gig has more USB connections, so if that's something you think you might need take that into consideration.
Message Edited by KYColtsFan on 07-07-2008 02:53 PM
life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid... -ShakeyDuce

The Beer Clan -exactly what you think it is
Colts Digital -a fansite for the Indianapolis Colts
Message 10 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes