Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 19 2012
By: Bashmeister1993 First Son 5 posts

why does the ps3 take so long to update >.>

[ Edited ]
24 replies 14422 views Edited Aug 19, 2012

i bought a ps3 recently for games that i cannot get for xbox and so far its great. but the only thing pissing me off is that it takes like 30-40 mins to fully update a game :/ not to mention you are forced to install it as well (i have a choice with xbox). my xbox and ps3 are right next to each other and not that far from my router so connection isnt a issue. i should not be forced to wait 30-40 mins before i can play a game i just bought >.> i dont have to wait almost an hour on 360 to play a new game

Message 1 of 25 (14,422 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15656 posts

Re: why does the ps3 take so long to update >.>

Aug 20, 2012

Some updates fix major issues, some fix minor issues, some are updates that add addtional FREE content to the game.

Because you JUST got a PS3 and some games you have are probably quite old, you'll have to sit through downloading ALL applicable updates before you play the games. Not all games are like that though.

If you're having an issue with the SPEED they are downloading at, you need to make sure your router and modem have be powered off and then back on, and make sure your routers configuration has been set correctly as well as your PS3's network setup. 

Using the "Automatic/Easy" setup DOES NOT guarantee proper online connectivity or proper bandwidth.

I do suggest assigning a static IP address to the PS3

Also make sure "UPnP" is enabled on your routers web configuration page

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 2 of 25 (14,396 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Jan 3, 2013

I understand completely what the Op is talking about.  I own both consoles, and I have noticed how slow and frequent updates/downloads/installs are on the PS3 compared to 360. 

I have everything set up correctly.  This isn't my first rodeo.

Message 3 of 25 (13,496 Views)
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

That's one of the things I also don't like about the PS3. The updates take forever to download, then when you think your done, nope, time to install. On the Xbox, updates are quick and no installing.

Message 4 of 25 (13,475 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15656 posts

Jan 3, 2013

taters1 wrote:

That's one of the things I also don't like about the PS3. The updates take forever to download, then when you think your done, nope, time to install. On the Xbox, updates are quick and no instlalling.

I have an Xbox, and yes, YOU DO have to install after downloading.... this "downloads and no installs" is only when it comes to PATCHES..... 

And don't make this about PS3 vs xbox... which is a stupid thing to do... if you're going to define your entire gaming nirvana due to being inconvenienced by a relatively short amount of time, then you need to look at your level of patience.

I have Plus.... so I never have to wait for updates to download an install because they are done automatically while I sleep.

Message 5 of 25 (13,455 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

"I have an Xbox, and yes, YOU DO have to install after downloading"

Ummm, really? Your Xbox must be defective then.... Or you don't actually own an Xbox to know.

No worries though, I actually own both consoles, including a Wii and a gaming PC (that I built myself, love Newegg). I was just stating facts. I wasn't intending to start a console war.

I also have Plus and automatic updates are nice, but normally when I buy a new game that needs to be updated, I normally like to play it right away. I normally don’t want to wait for it to update while I sleep.

Message 6 of 25 (13,440 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15656 posts

Jan 4, 2013

taters1 wrote:

"I have an Xbox, and yes, YOU DO have to install after downloading"

Ummm, really? Your Xbox must be defective then.... Or you don't actually own an Xbox to know. 

its not defective, and yes.... I actually don't have add so I notice a lot of things that Xbots don't

Message 7 of 25 (13,425 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

"its not defective, and yes.... I actually don't have add so I notice a lot of things that Xbots don't"

I don't get it, what are you trying to say here?

"Xbots"

Really? Now who's being the fanboy here? You should take your own advice, "Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open."

Message 8 of 25 (13,420 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15656 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

taters1 wrote:

"its not defective, and yes.... I actually don't have add so I notice a lot of things that Xbots don't"

I don't get it, what are you trying to say here?

"Xbots"

Really? Now who's being the fanboy here? You should take your own advice, "Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open."

Its an opinion that I maintain. Just because I have an xbox, doesn't mean that I cant have an opinion of other people who have an xbox, I rarely use my xbox as it is and its also an opinion that I use to descibe people who are profuse in their baised allegieance with a company, and its an opinion i have derived from personal experience

The same way I can have an opinion about people who have a PS3.... that doesn't mean I am somehow an hypocrite about having an open mind.... having an open mind is an all encompassing thing and not something that someone selectivly applies to certain aspects of any subject of discussion. You're simply taking my sig out of context.

Message 9 of 25 (13,409 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

Opinions, opinions; so I guess that makes it ok to have a biased allegiance with a company like Sony. And anyone who doesn’t have the same opinions as you is an “Xbot”.

Sucks to be you with an opinion that strong. With an open mind like me, you can enjoy games like Killzone, Left 4 Dead, Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War, Fable, Resistance, Halo, Mincecraft, Super Mario, Zelda, Warcraft and more.

Message 10 of 25 (13,401 Views)
0 Likes