Jul 04 2013
By: Colbus3 First Son 1 posts

Headphone/mic jack Ps4 Controller

17 replies 16401 views Edited Jul 4, 2013

I have a Razer Headset, it had to cables that need to be connected. Audio jack and mic jack. I was looking at the PS4 controller and it only seemed to have 1 jack. How will this allow us to use a mic and listen to game audio?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (16,401 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7174 posts

Re: Headphone/mic jack Ps4 Controller

[ Edited ]
Jul 4, 2013

Colbus3 wrote:

I have a Razer Headset, it had to cables that need to be connected. Audio jack and mic jack. I was looking at the PS4 controller and it only seemed to have 1 jack. How will this allow us to use a mic and listen to game audio?

ps4controller.jpg

I dont know of any headsets that would be able to fit in their besides ear buds.

If you would like to beable to have a working mic and audio I recommend a USB Headset with a docking station.

My headset.  -   Turtle Beach EFD Limited Edition

mw3b.jpg

Notice the Xbox360 wireless adapter. Thats what that might be used on future headsets for the PS4 controller

HEARTFIVEFOURTEEN.png

_____________________ - = Share the Greatness with PlayStation= - ______________________

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (16,394 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

Jul 4, 2013

bluetooth is still an option as well. My current headset has a wireless transmitter that receives the audio signal through a fiber cable and sends the audio to the headset. the voice part of the headset is connected to the ps3 through bluetooth allowing voice and audio at the same time

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (16,369 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7174 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 4, 2013

fortune_exe wrote:

bluetooth is still an option as well. My current headset has a wireless transmitter that receives the audio signal through a fiber cable and sends the audio to the headset. the voice part of the headset is connected to the ps3 through bluetooth allowing voice and audio at the same time

Mine uses AV cables for the audio, bluetooth for the mic

HEARTFIVEFOURTEEN.png

_____________________ - = Share the Greatness with PlayStation= - ______________________

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (16,367 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 4, 2013

Colbus3 wrote:

The PS4 Headphone Jack is a Four-Conductor 3.5MM (Read Standard Earbud) TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) connector with stereo audio and a mic channel. It is the same 3.5 Jack that comes with most Smartphones these days, the ones that have the mic along the wire. Most of those should work with the PS4 if the pin setup is standard (Nokia) for TRRS connections.

Because Apple thinks they're smart, the Apple earbuds with the mic won't work (because Apple's so smart they reversed them to make you always have to buy from them. Non-apple sets should work.

Source (Picture):

PS4TRRS

http://s21.postimg.org/8hb38bkhz/SO4775_PS4_LA_036.jpg <- Proof that that is the original headset.

See how it appears that there are three black rings on the end of the connector? Look around for your house for a (non apple) product that also has those three black rings. If it does, check the cord for a mic. If it has one, it'll probably work on the PS4, unless Sony decided to mess with what connects where too which is unlikely, it would upset the people who buy Xperia products, because they probably use these same headsets. Sony likely did it on purpose because smartphones are so popular and they all use this configuration.

To answer your question directly, it is unlikely that an Xbox 360 Mic will work on the PS4 unless it's specifically made to be used on both consoles, due to certain things that were poorly engineered to be forwards-compatible (likely on purpose to make you buy another microphone in the first place).

However, cheap Ear-Bud Microphone style mics will be available likely for under $2 this generation if they're using standard pin set-ups, so getting back-up mics to hold you over before a good set on the PS4 comes out will basically cost you pennies.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (16,366 Views)
Welcoming Committee
2963 posts

Jul 4, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (16,324 Views)
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Jul 4, 2013
i like how the headphone jack on the DS4 controller looks like the headphone jacks on the psp-3000 and 2000 series :smileyvery-happy:?
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (16,306 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1573 posts

Jul 4, 2013

Cosmosis_1080P wrote:

Colbus3 wrote:

The PS4 Headphone Jack is a Four-Conductor 3.5MM (Read Standard Earbud) TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) connector with stereo audio and a mic channel. It is the same 3.5 Jack that comes with most Smartphones these days, the ones that have the mic along the wire. Most of those should work with the PS4 if the pin setup is standard (Nokia) for TRRS connections.

Because Apple thinks they're smart, the Apple earbuds with the mic won't work (because Apple's so smart they reversed them to make you always have to buy from them. Non-apple sets should work.

Source (Picture):

PS4TRRS

http://s21.postimg.org/8hb38bkhz/SO4775_PS4_LA_036.jpg <- Proof that that is the original headset.

See how it appears that there are three black rings on the end of the connector? Look around for your house for a (non apple) product that also has those three black rings. If it does, check the cord for a mic. If it has one, it'll probably work on the PS4, unless Sony decided to mess with what connects where too which is unlikely, it would upset the people who buy Xperia products, because they probably use these same headsets. Sony likely did it on purpose because smartphones are so popular and they all use this configuration.

To answer your question directly, it is unlikely that an Xbox 360 Mic will work on the PS4 unless it's specifically made to be used on both consoles, due to certain things that were poorly engineered to be forwards-compatible (likely on purpose to make you buy another microphone in the first place).

However, cheap Ear-Bud Microphone style mics will be available likely for under $2 this generation if they're using standard pin set-ups, so getting back-up mics to hold you over before a good set on the PS4 comes out will basically cost you pennies.

You sure the new Apple iPhone 5 earpod's won't work.. So far it's worked on everything i've tried to use them on even on my GF.. Samsung Galaxy S3.. But it's worth a shot i guess.. if it works that would be awesome.. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (16,297 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1507 posts

Jul 4, 2013

Nice,My Sony MDR-X05 Set will work fine,mic too,have several options,but love these headphones....Good Stuff Thx...:smileywink:

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (16,294 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Jul 4, 2013

You sure the new Apple iPhone 5 earpod's won't work.. So far it's worked on everything i've tried to use them on even on my GF.. Samsung Galaxy S3.. But it's worth a shot i guess.. if it works that would be awesome.. 

It is possible they changed revised it since I last checked. When the 4 comes out, check and see. However, on that Galaxy, did you specifically make sure the mic on the cord worked? It's only the mic and volume control that's supposed to not work.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (16,260 Views)
0 Likes