Mar 24 2014
By: TwisTedWrisTer18 Lombax Warrior 125 posts

Sony Please Help!!

11 replies 246 views Edited Mar 24, 2014

Long story short, I have been experiencing power up issues (full boot up and standby) with my PS4 since the week of February 17th.  The system either shuts itself off or will not turn on properly.  I have tried 2 different HDMI cables and checked the power cord numerous times also.  I have the system plugged directly into a wall outlet (first had it plugged into a power strip).  I have the console connected to a Toshiba 40RV525R LCD TV.  It is the same TV that I have my PS3 connected to for 5 years and I never had a single issue.  Anyway, my PS4 (once I finally get it powered up to the UI) tells me it has been improperly shut off or "unplugged".  This is not always the message, sometimes the system does a "recovery boot" in safe mode and then works normally.  I experience this behavior about 85% of the time when I try to wake or power up my PS4.  The system either turns off immediately or I get the flashing blue light and have to manually power down.  Is it my PS4 or is there some sort of power issue connected to firmware or software?  I am really frustrated trying to "self-troubleshoot" a brand new console, and I really would like to get a replacement issued, but I am not real "thrilled" about receiving a refurbished unit for the replacement of a $400 "NEW" console.  Plus from what I have read in these forums some refurbished units have the same issues or worse.  HELP... What am I supposed to do...?  All I want is a new WORKING PS4 that I expected to receive when I paid $400 for my current console.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (246 Views)
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Re: Sony Please Help!!

Mar 24, 2014

FYI... I also already contacted Sony support via chat and they had me perform a safe mode #6 (initialize) and it didn't do a thing.  I'm still experiencing all the same issues.  I have installed the 1.62 update hoping that would help, and my system actually shut off completely while I was in the UI screen.  So I powered on alright, but the system shut off randomly in the UI screen which has never happened before.  Again...PLEASE HELP.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

Mar 24, 2014
Sounds like a PSU (Power Supply) issue to me. If you want to, either take it back to the store you got it from and exchange it for another system or send it to Sony for them to fix.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 24, 2014
Did you hear any beep sound before PS4 power off by itself?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Mar 25, 2014

The behavior when I try to turn it on is, first power button push, one beep.  Second power button push, one beep, blue light blinks for about 5 seconds (if that), then "click" and the system shuts off.  This only happens about 3 out of 5 power ups.  The other 2 times the system acts perfectly normal.  I can't figure it out... hardware or software???  Last night I played BF4 for 2 hours, not a single problem, but Saturday afternoon I tried to power on and the system "clicked" off on me twice, then I got stuck on flashing blue did a hard shut down (held power button for 15 seconds), powered on again and the system did a "recovery boot" and worked normally after that.  I have major fear of sending my console into Sony.  First, the fact that this system acts absolutely normal sometimes leads me to believe it is a firmware/software problem.  Second, I paid $400 for a NEW PS4, and that is what I want if I do decide to return my current console.  If Sony sends me a refurbished unit I will be completely unsatisfied.  Third regardless of what I get in return I have the chance of experiencing the same problems or worse (from what I've been reading on this forum).  Do I just hold on to the PS4 that I have and hope it gets better with future firmware updates?  Do I send it in and go through the burden of having to wait 3 weeks to possibly receive a replacement console with the same issues??  Sony does need a better return system.  Like I stated if they are 100% absolutely sending me a brand new console I'd feel much better asking for a warranty replacement.  Plus I think getting a return box to you within a 2 day period, then making you wait 10+ days after they receive the return puts the burden solely on the customer.  Sony already has my $400 why are they making me wait 10+ days...?  Ever hear of next day air?  It would make the problem a lot less annoying and it would certainly be a more acceptable customer service process.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Mar 25, 2014

Simply answering your question... no beep or lights when the system shuts off.  Just a "click" and the whole thing goes dark.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Mar 25, 2014

My other thought is, could it be my TV???  I have a 40" Toshiba 40RV525R, would the HDMI "handshake" between the TV and PS4 make the system act like this?  Just shut off...?  On the other hand I think I would just be experiencing video or audio problems if it was a TV HDMI "handshake" issue.  Regardless, all very frustrating to think about.  All I really want is for Sony to issue some sort of statement, because it appears I am not the only PS4 owner with this problem.  There seem to be quite a few "shut off" posts in the support forum.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (170 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 30, 2014

I am having a similar issue with power. I just bought a brand new console a week ago. It wouldn't power initially out of the box. After attempting power up for the 3rd time, it powered and instructed my to do a software update. I downloaded and updated which took a few hours. I turned it on the next day to buy a game and downloaded Madden 25 with no issues. I tried to turn it on for the 3rd time to actually play a game and nothing. No light, no noise, no power. Anyone know of a fix for this issue? I didn't want to buy a $400 paperweight, I just want to play a game.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Apr 1, 2014

I keep having reoccurring issues.  A little different scenario each time, but still same power up issues.  So about 85% of the time I try to power on my PS4 I either, A.) get the flashing blue light, B.) power on "beep" blue light for about 2 seconds and the system shuts off completely, C.) power on console "beeps" once and nothing happens D.) console shut off by itself completely from UI screen (only happened once), E.) console froze on UI screen and I could only do a manual shutdown (hold power for 15 seconds or so)... It usually takes me about 3 or 4 cycles of either getting a flashing blue light, the system shutting itself off, or receiving improperly shutdown (unplugged) alert, until the system runs properly.  Once I get the system to the UI screen it usually works fine (only one shut off and one freeze once the system reaches the UI).  The weirdest part that I can't wrap my brain around is my PS4 worked flawlessly from January 16th to February 18th, not a single issue, well had a bit of trouble on first power up, but then 4-1/2 weeks and not 1 issue.  I contacted support via chat in mid March and they had me perform a safe mode #6 initialize.  The console worked and powered up with no issues the next time I turned it on, but then back to the same problems.  Last night (3/31) I went to play BF4 and the fiirst 3 times I tried to power on I got nothing but the flashing blue light.  I manually powered down all 3 times (held power for 15 sec.).  The 4th boot I manually pressed the power button (instead of using DS4) the system turned on did a recovery test went to solid white light, then "click" back to blue, then shut off completely.  Hit the power button, got one beep and then nothing.  Hit it again and system came on blue light flashed PS logo appeared and then I got "improperly shut down or unplugged" message.  After the message I got to the UI screen and was checking out some of the live broadcasts of Imfamous went back to the UI and the system completely froze.  Did not respond to DS4, had to manually power off.  Turned back on got the "improperly shutdown uplugged" message again, but then once in UI seemed to work fine.  I did notice when I started to play BF4 that the audio was dropping very frequently in multiplayer (thru PS4 mono headset), wasn't sure if it was the console acting up or the game...?  Anyway moral to my story, I am mentally exhausted from troubleshooting this BRAND NEW console!!!  Attempting to turn on my console 4 to 6 times before it actually works has become unacceptable.  I guess I have no choice but to demand a replacement from Sony, but from what I read on these forum threads that isn't a guaranteed "fix" either.  This is absolutely ludacrious.  I have owned a Playstation since the PS1 launch and never had as many issues in 15 years, as I have had in the past 6 weeks with my PS4.  I guess I have no other option but to ship my console back to Sony in hopes of receiving what I originally paid for a WORKING PS4!!!   

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 1, 2014

I was having similar issues. I also tried almost everything to no avail. But I've had no problems for about 6 days. This is what I did and recommend you doing:

- Get the file for the "new install" which includes the operating system and latest firmware here (make sure you follow the instructions on the page): http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/new-install/index.htm#installationSteps

- backup all your savegames into a usb drive or portable hd so you don't lose your in-game progress!

- boot your ps4 into safe mode

- choose option 7: initialize ps4 (reinstall system software) with the usb drive you saved the update (new install) file

If everything works out you will have a clean, working system. Now it's time to reinstall and re-download everything (i left mine all night on standby mode and had all by morning), then finally copy your saves back to ps4. It's a pain I know but it might solve your problem!

I don't know if this is a definitive solution but I haven't had problems since I did it a few days ago. And yes prior to this I also tried options 3, 4, 5 and 6. Fingers crossed... Hope it works for you!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (102 Views)