Aug 07 2012
By: Negimafan Gaming Beast 1823 posts

Daedalus/Chimera (Resistance) Move-set

[ Edited ]
13 replies 2355 views Edited Oct 19, 2013

Daedalus.png_Holar_Tower.pngI've been talking about this for a while, so I think it's time I put this move-list together. Unlike my last one, I have the beta in my hands this time, so I'll have a good idea for how the game handles. I'm putting together a pretty wild and unusual series of concepts here, so prepare for a long explaination.

I'll start with some basics: Daedalus is a former human named Jordan Shepherd turned into the supreme leader of the Chimeran forces after being infected with the DNA of the pure Chimeran strain. His telepathic control over the Chimera is nearly omniscient and his tactical prowess from his time as a soldier was key in the Chimeran invasion overwhelming the human resistance.

His abilities include telepathy, telekinesis, levitation, tremendous piercing strength with his tentacles/appendages and the ability to transmit his consciousness to any Chimera unit.

You can get an idea for what he looks like in this video:

My idea wouldn't be to have him actually fight, though: instead a Chimera soldier/squad leader would stand in for him while he sits in the background and provides support by summoning other Chimera (kind of like the Pokemon Trainer or Olimar). The idea is to have one Chimera be controlled by the player while new Chimera are called in by Daedalus to act as a squad with predetermined responses to oncoming threats (some strains are unable to stay on stand-by, instead acting instantly whether a target is present or not, meaning they should be used sparingly).

Creating Chimera on the battlefield isn't easy for Daedalus (nor is it an ability he's able to do in the Resistance games) so depending on the strength of the Chimera summoned, there'll be a pause between each unit-type based around an off-screen timer designating when that unit can be summoned again. Furthermore, any new summons will add a second to all currently active timers, discouraging the player from summoning too many at once. The bulk of this move-set is taken up by different types of Chimera summons, many of them fully automated and/or autonomous in their actions (much like Kuma or Mr. Zurkon). I'll be placing a maximum limit on the amount of Chimera allowed on-screen based on type. If you try to summon more of one type than you're allowed, the most damaged example will die and your timer on that particular strain will be 5 seconds longer.

The individual Chimera are quite powerful on their own and come with some notably stronger abilities than a standard fighter. To balance this out, the units can be killed by standard attacks past a certain health amount (measured in AP as is the case with Mr. Zurkon) and will each explode in a shower of AP when deposed of (the amount depending on the strength of the Chimera brought down). This creates a risk-reward factor in that while they may be powerful, they could potentially give your enemies a lot of AP (both for the hit they landed and the aforementioned AP shower). A bad summon would be like delivering a Nanotech crate to your enemy. Kind of like Dhalsim's extending limbs: they may have range, but they also have hit-boxes, putting him at risk.

Alternatively, you could allow your Chimera that stay near the squad to die, giving you an AP boost when they explode (this isn't easy since the ones staying closest are often the hardest to kill and only the squad leader can collect AP). The actual AP gain isn't good enough for this to be a viable strategy as your enemies' natural AP-gain from doing this will always win the AP race.

As a way to give a degree of balance to the Chimera legion as a whole, the player-controlled Chimera squad-leader can be shifted around between 3 strains by pressing the Block button (this means no dodging either). If you have several examples of an applicable strain to switch to, you'll instantly switch to the last Chimera summoned. This gives the Chimera a fighting-style much like a stance-system. Switching to a new host is instantaneous, but there's a notable pause-time between each switch (10 seconds per switch). The 3 host strains are these:

Resistance-Hybrid.jpg

Summoned via: PlayStationSquare.png

Advanced Hybrid: The is the default strain active at the start of every match. He's equipped with the Bullseye rifle and comes with basic abilities in every degree. They tend to work best in packs and form the basis for most of your assaults. When not controlled, they'll mainly stand in place and fire their Bullseye. They can take 50 AP points of damage, you can have at least 3 in your squad and there's a 12 second wait between each summon.

Resistance-Longlegs.png

Summoned via: PlayStationCircle.png

Longlegs: This fellow is a mutated Hybrid with elongated legs, letting him jump the highest of any Chimera. He's equipped with the Deadeye sniper rifle and can perform a Super Jump with ⇑ + PlayStationCross.png or slow his descent by holding PlayStationCross.png (his cooling system can act as wings). When not controlled, they'll stay close to the squad, firing only when an opportunity to take potshots from high locations or from mid-air presents itself. They have 40 AP points of health, you're allowed 2 of them in your squad and there's a 12 second wait between each summon.

Resistance-Ravanger.jpg

Summoned via: PlayStationCircle.png

Ravager: This brute is physically the strongest of all the controllable strains. He comes equipped with the Atomizer and the ability to create barriers. When not controlled, he'll primarily stick close to the squad and erect barriers, allowing him to tank oncoming fire; occasionally he might use his Atomizer if an enemy approaches too close (he prefers to let the other Chimera handle threat-disposal, but if there aren't enough of them or there are enough targets attacking, he'll take the offensive). He has 75 AP of health, you can only have 1 on-screen at a time and there's a 15 second wait between each summon.

I want to emphasize the disposable nature of the individual Chimera. If your active host/squad-leader is damaged, you should feel obligated to summon a new one and switch (new summons come with full health). The Chimera are a legion with no champion or hero, winning by their persistence, tenacity and sheer numbers.

Now that I've got the 3 stances/strains out of the way, here's the move-list itself:

PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png = A simple claw-slashing combo for the Hybrid, a one-two punch for the Ravager and a single drop-kick for the Longlegs, which serves as a useful retreating maneuver. These moves can only be accessed by the player-controlled Chimera.

or PlayStationSquare.png = The Hybrid charges forward much like Sweet Tooth's shoulder-check, the Ravager performs a violent punch that sends enemies flying into an Eject Spiral and the Longlegs tackles the enemy foot-first, sending them into an Eject Roll. These moves can only be accessed by the player-controlled Chimera. The Hybrid's attack calls back to the "Rage-Mode" seen in multiplayer, with flames searing across the creature's cooling unit.

PlayStationSquare.png = Summon Drones: 2 Drones appear from the air. They'll float above the squad and fire on any hostiles approaching too closely. They have 20 AP in health, you're allowed 4 on-screen at a time and there's a 7 second wait between each summon.

PlayStationSquare.png = It isn't possible to summon a new Hybrid in the air, so I've made this button entry a falling technique (it's a stomp for each strain). The Ravager will have the widest area of effect but his activates the slowest, the Longlegs drops and activates very fast in order to return to the ground ASAP and the Hybrid is somewhere in-between.

PlayStationTriangle.png = This has the strains fire off their respective personal weapons. All of them are identical in the air.

• Bullseye: This has the highest rate of fire, is unable to interrupt and has a wide spread.
  • Deadeye: This sniper rifle has no maximum range drop-off, but activates the slowest. 
  • Atomizer: This electrical weapon releases wide charges within low-range that are most effective against large groups.

PlayStationTriangle.png = This move utilizes the secondary fire of the main weapons, except for the Ravager, whose shields are a personal ability. All of these abilities are identical in the air. The shield is the only one of these moves that can be accessed by the A.I.-controlled Chimera.

• Tag: This fires a single, fast-moving shot which sticks to the target and attracts all Bullseye fire towards that target.
  • Proton Charge: This is similar to a standard Deadeye shot, but it activates even slower, does more damage and leaves enemies in a crumple-state.
  • Shield: This temporary barrier floats immediately in front of the Ravager and can stop all projectiles.

or PlayStationTriangle.png = Grim Rush: This summons 3 Grims to run at the enemy to engage them in melee. Grims are pretty stupid and will essentially run blindely forward whether they have a target or not. They can be pretty easy to bring down, but they do decent damage. They're unable to jump or climb, limiting them to ground-combat. When used in the air, a single Grim is created. They have 25 AP of health, you can only use this summon one at a time and there's a 7 second wait between each summon.

PlayStationTriangle.png = Chimeran Dropship: This calls in an airborne vehicle which will fly towards wherever it was summoned. All of your Chimera active on-screen will die while the vehicle drops a container with an identical load-out, all of them at full health. Obstacles allowing, they can fly reasonably low and can also be destroyed at 200 AP for a high bonus. There's a 30-second wait between each use.

PlayStationCircle.png = Leech Bomber: A Leech is a sub-species of Grim that come with explosive blood, meant to act as suicide bomber by running towards their targets in the same way Grims do. If they complete their task, no AP is dropped. They 25 AP and there's a 5-second wait between each summon. When used in the air, a single Leech is dropped towards the ground, exploding on impact.

or PlayStationCircle.png = Leaper/Roller Swarm: This summons 6 Leapers to run towards the target at high speeds. They can crawl up surfaces and will try to latch onto a target for continuous damage or spit acid at them if there's already more than 2 Leapers latched on the opponent. They can take 3 attacks and there's a 5-second wait between each summon.

PlayStationCircle.png =  It isn't possible to summon a new Ravager in the air, so I've made this button entry a shooting technique when used in the air.

The Hybrid fires his Bullseye diagonall downward, the Longlegs fires his Deadeye diagonally downward and the Ravager unleaches a diagonally-aimed wide burst from his Atomizer. This last technique is taken from the secondary fire of the Arc Charger, which the Atomizer is the spiritual successor to.

Throw: The Upward throws involve Daedalus picking up the enemy with his telekinesis while the others involve the Hybrid biting their face and tossing them, much in the way a shark lacerates by thrashing its head, the Longlegs plants his foot on their face/chest and pushes them back while the Ravager just pummels them really hard with a haymaker.

Level 1 Super: Daedalus summons a Titan to release an explosive blast with his cannon, after which he explodes. I would've gone with the Brawler, an advanced stage of Titan, but I think the Titans are more iconic and the cannon shot makes the most sense from a gameplay stand-point.

Level 2 Super: Daedalus calls in a  Stalker to patrol around the field for 4 seconds, sending up anti-aircraft missiles and firing its anti-personal machine gun.

Level 3 Super: The Chimera launch a Spire Missile attack, releasing an endless swarm of Crawlers pouring out of it to cover the screen and infect the other players with the Chimeran virus (crawling up surfaces, covering the ceiling, flying, etc.) Infected players are considered dead and will revive after the Super ends. Victims of the Super are instantly converted to your side as a Hybrid, Ravager or Longlegs (depending on your load-out at the time; if somehow you have too many of each, the more damaged Chimera explode in an AP shower all over your squad). To add an extra layer of creepiness, the move is totally inescapable but it's not a cinematic, so since they can attempt to run, it gives your enemies the illusion of survival.  In the words of Colonel Rachel Parker, "By the time you see them in the air it's already too late."

I understand this move-set is pretty complicated, so now that that's over, here's the cliff notes version:

• Daedalus floats in the back while the Hybrid, Ravager and Longlegs fight as the host strain.
  • Uncontrolled strains react to oncoming threats with a very simple series of A.I. responses.
  • There's a limit desginated for how many examples of the same Chimera strain can be active on-screen.
  • Each summon comes with a respective timer which determines when that summon can be used again.
  • Exceeding the limit on active strains kills the most-damaged example currently on-screen and the timer on that summon will be 5 seconds longer
  • All new summons add 1 second to all active timers.
  • All Chimera can die from normal attacks, each with their own health value.
  • The health values vary by strain
  • Destroyed Chimera leave behind a small amount of AP.
  • Newly summoned Chimera are at full health, and you'll always switch over to the last applicable host summoned.
  • There's a timer for when you can switch again.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 1 of 14 (2,355 Views)
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Re: Daedalus/Chimera Move-set

Aug 7, 2012
Holy crap I'm too lazy to read this but good job. I like how it's like the Pokemon trainer
IT'S MY WAY OR . . . HELL IT'S MY WAY
Message 2 of 14 (2,347 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2383 posts

Aug 7, 2012

good job i would gladly accept a chimera if done like this

ive been making a moveset (who its for is a secret) as wel but im too lazy to post it XD

Monkey D. Luffy (one piece) "I'm the man who's going to be the Pirate King!"
Guts (berserk) " I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. "
Message 3 of 14 (2,342 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Aug 7, 2012

You'd did a great job I'd love to play as this guy.

Message 4 of 14 (2,252 Views)
Survivor
2494 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2012

Clapping

Dam! I've seen your Daedalus idea many times on this forum, and don't get me wrong, I have always felt that Resistance should get a rep and I always supported your idea. However, I had no idea all of these attacks could even be possibly implemented! Seriously, this IS the best and most original move-set idea I've seen on this forum! You deserve 3 Kudos for each one someone gives you just because of how great this is!

"A man's venom poisons himself more than his victims."
By the way, just call me Count for short.
Message 5 of 14 (2,235 Views)
Wastelander
768 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2012

this would be so epic to be in the game  but i dont think superbot is even going to put a resistance rep in :smileyfrustrated: im a huge resistance fan too and this would make resistance not be like radec or drake  but it would possibly  be too much calling so manny creatures i mean you should just call the 3 main casts like Fat princess does otherwise if you call everything at the same time you see how many firepower you would have?  but something like this would totaly be woth a rep , this looks like a moveset like king dedede and olimar on ssbb and it would fit the chimerian army preety well but it would require lots of work due to the unikeness of the char and  since superbot doesnt even know who nathan hale is (atleast on the interview the SB guy didnt) i dont see a rep for this great serie of PS exclusive franchise.

I would even be happy with a single chimera with loads of weapons and calling chimerian creatures on the supers.

Message 6 of 14 (2,221 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

Re: Daedalus/Chimera (Resistance) Move-set

Aug 7, 2012

Thanks for all the support, everyone.

pedro702 wrote:

this would be so epic to be in the game  but i dont think superbot is even going to put a resistance rep in :smileyfrustrated: im a huge resistance fan too and this would make resistance not be like radec or drake  but it would possibly  be too much calling so manny creatures i mean you should just call the 3 main casts like Fat princess does otherwise if you call everything at the same time you see how many firepower you would have?  but something like this would totaly be woth a rep , this looks like a moveset like king dedede and olimar on ssbb and it would fit the chimerian army preety well but it would require lots of work due to the unikeness of the char and  since superbot doesnt even know who nathan hale is (atleast on the interview the SB guy didnt) i dont see a rep for this great serie of PS exclusive franchise.

I would even be happy with a single chimera with loads of weapons and calling chimerian creatures on the supers.

True, you were be extremely powerful after summoning your entire aresenal, and if you're in a remote-enough corner of the map, no one could stop you. Personally though, I'd call that a big mistake. If, say, you called out two Drones, two Hybrids, two Longlegs and a Ravager, you'd be making yourself a big target for any projectile Supers, since none of your Chimera would bother to jump when an attack is oncoming (not even the Longlegs). After that your time would be pretty high and you can't do much of anything (if you survived). The Chimera are stupid like that.

All those melee attack forms and unique alternative-fire options are only available to the squad-leader while the A.I. of the uncontrolled Chimera is extremely simple. The Hybrids only open fire at medium range, the Drones only attack at close range, the Ravager only uses his Atomizer at very close range (and if the threat is big enough) and the Longlegs prefers to take out enemies attacking from the air. In a sense, the character is built for medium range, but anyone specializing in melee or long-range would destroy the squad easily (such as Kratos or Radec).

I've actually inadvertently made Radec this character's natural enemy. His grenade lobbing would devestate the squad at the right range, the Drones float in the perfect spot for his teslite grenade, his rapid fire does just the right amount of damage to stop a Grim or Leech and his sniper rifle is the only projectile-based weapon that can pierce the Ravager's shield. Radec could easily make a Daedalus player's day very hard.

However, Ive taken you advice into account: I'm going to add a limitation in which every new summon adds a second to all active timers, discouraging summoning too many at once.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 7 of 14 (2,193 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
557 posts

Aug 7, 2012

I don't really like the idea of him standing in the background giving orders. Radec doesn't do that.

I would rather just play as a Chimera imo

Message 8 of 14 (2,170 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
781 posts

Aug 7, 2012

Very impressive idea, i really want a Resistance representative in this game and this is the best suggestion i've seen so far by miles, keep up the good work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official Paramedic of the PSAS Forums bunker.
Message 9 of 14 (2,143 Views)
Survivor
2388 posts

Aug 7, 2012

pedro702 wrote:

Im pretty sure he just misheard the name lol, Nathan Drake and Nathan Hale can easily get mixed up in a loud room 

Message 10 of 14 (2,135 Views)
0 Likes